1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Feeling old - clones of old games

Discussion in 'Playground' started by SlickRCBD, Feb 2, 2022.

1. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    I was curious and browsed the "free games" my cable TV provider offers. While looking I accidentally hit a button and got a "loading app" screen and wondered what I just choose.
    It turned out to be a game called "She-RA: Princess of Power vs the Bots". I thought that it was odd to make a game when She-RA went off the air before I turned 10, but took a look out of nostalgic curiosity.

The game was Lode Runner with a reskin. An old game from the Apple II+/IIe/IIc.

I'm just wondering if anybody else has had that experience when they try some free game and it turns out to be some old classic with a new name.

2. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I had Lode Runner on my Apple II+ (along with hundreds of other games). That one was pretty fun as I recall.

3. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Omg and the levels went on and on. Loved that game.

4. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    I never owned it myself, but a buddy of mine did and I played at his place on his Apple IIe.
    I know you can download a disk image of it from the Asimov FTP site for use with an emulator. It's in the action folder under games.

Anyways, I found it interesting that some random game (really, I accidentally hit the select button while scrolling and had no idea what I'd chosen) pushed out by the cable provider turned out to be a Lode Runner clone. Done as a cartoon tie-in at that.
    I wonder if they licensed it from Br0derbund or if Br0derbund should sue?

Last edited: Feb 4, 2022
  5. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    Ok, here's another thing, less about feeling old and more about am I the only one that does this.
    In every single game that lets me name the saves for the last almost 35 years (I think the first game I got that let me name the slot was Sierra's "Gold Rush" in 1988); no matter the type or genre, I have a save file/slot named "dinner" and another one named "slp" or "sleep". The first is used when MY dinner's ready. The second one is used when I goto bed.

Does anybody else have slots like that, or a slot name that they have for every single game, no matter the genre?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.