1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Need a search term: Clip to hold a wall phone headset in place

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by SlickRCBD, Nov 11, 2021.

1. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    My mother just had to replace the corded wall phone in her kitchen. It's the only corded phone left and she keeps it that way because cordless phones don't work when the power goes out.
    As for switching to cell phone, her iPhone 7 keeps running out of juice even though Apple says there is nothing wrong with the battery and the health report says 87%.

In any case, her new phone is a desk/wall phone, but in wall phone mode the handset falls off the hook far too easily.
    When I worked for Walgreens a decade ago, they had these little clips you could attach to the phone that made it easier to keep the headset from being accidentally knocked off the hook. However, I can't recall what the proper term was. All I did with the phones was clean and test them, then if they failed the test sent them back to the manufacturer under the service plan. The guys next door (I was in a warehouse working for DTR 97 which was the repair arm attached to warehouse depot 98 which was just a wing off the warehouse connected via a garage door in the receiving area. The guys in DP98 handled the "clips".

Any idea what those "clips" were called? It was just a piece of plastic with a bit of adhesive or double-stick tape that helped make sure the phone stayed on the hook.

Here's a pic with a scribble on it to give an idea what I'm talking about.
    [​IMG]

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Slide that little square thing in the middle of that black line up and out, turn it 180 degrees and slide it back in.

3. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    I checked that, the phone won't stay on the hook at all and falls on the floor. It IS in the "wall phone" configuration.
    I did say that it was poorly designed as a wall phone.

4. Tarrasque

Tarrasque Whoever said Paladins had to be charismatic? ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Whatever you need to search for, I couldn't come up with it - got plenty of wall mounts for mobile phones though...

What part of the phone isn't staying on - is the hook on the base unit not clipping on correctly, or is it the handset? Just wondering if one or the other could be modified slightly.

5. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    The handset falls off the hook and onto the floor way too easily. Just bump the cord and it falls. Whatever you want to call it, but the part you talk into just falls onto the floor. I'm calling it the "handset" because that's what they called that part on the Siemons phones used by Walgreens a decade ago when I was cleaning phones back in 2011 (everybody started that job cleaning phones while you learned their procedures, then it either got assigned to people on a rotating schedule or whoever was on the boss's shit list).

Walgreens had these little plastic things with adhesive that you stuck onto the Siemens (now Nortel) 7310 and 7208 phones a decade ago. There was another model that looked different that I'm drawing a blank on that also had the clip option that looked closer to the phone in my pic.
    Based on this site:
    https://www.officephoneshop.com/nortel-business-phones/?features_hash=16-567
    It's the M7324N or the M7208N.
    That's the last time I recall seeing such an attachment anywhere (not that I've looked), and I was laid off when they closed the Mt. Prospect depot in 2013.

6. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    As a stopgap, you could put a square of double-stick tape on the square bit and see if that helps.

7. Tarrasque

Tarrasque Whoever said Paladins had to be charismatic? ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Or perhaps glue a small piece of wood or plastic to the ‘hook’ to try to give it a bit more of a ridge for the handset to grip on.

8. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    I already did that, but got told "it looks hokey" and she wants to know where to get one that looks proper. :bang:
    Not the first time one of my improvised repair jobs or solutions got that complaint from mom. Hence why I asked what those clips you stick on the phone to keep them from falling down are called. I haven't seen them since I was laid off from Walgreens in 2013 and landlines aren't that popular anymore. You don't see tons of accessories like you used to, and I don't know what the proper search term is for what I'm looking for.

Used to be you could walk into an AT&T store at any mall and see tons of phones and accessories on display. Now the AT&T stores only carry cell phones, and they've eliminated most of their stock of accessories. The big AT&T store at what used to be Town & Country mall but is now just a strip mall is mostly empty space when back when I first got my HTC One X+ back in 2013 it was filled with shelves displaying cell phones and accessories plus a few landlines. I'm surprised they haven't moved into a smaller space since there is so much open air and there are smaller spaces available in the strip mall thanks to COVID.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2021
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.