1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Replacement for LeechFTP?

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by SlickRCBD, May 25, 2021.

1. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    I just found that Firefox has disabled FTP, something I wasn't expecting until July, but should have done this research last year.
    Does anyone have a suggestion for a good FTP client for Windows 10?
    I've been using LeechFTP for almost 20 years, but it's ancient, hasn't been updated since before XP came out, and doesn't seem to work right on Windows 10.
    I'd recommend it for Windows 95-Windows 7 however.
    I used to use a similar program called Fetch on the Mac, but that was pre-Mac OS X.
    According to a quick Google Search, Fetch is still around.

Features I'm looking for are
    • Free, there have always been good free FTP clients.
    • The ability to queue up downloads and download them 1-3 at a time and ONLY 1-3 at a time. I don't want it trying to download all 25 files I queue in parallel.
    • The ability to add either an entire folder which the program will dive into and download the entire contents including sub-folders, or individual files to the queue.
    • The ability to save "bookmarks" or the equivalent with folder paths and a username.
    • The ability to keep browsing the FTP archive while downloading.
    • (optional) the ability to use that slot normally used for browsing directories for downloading by pushing a button (both Fetch (3.0 and later) and LeechFTP had this option). Some FTP servers limit the number of logins/sessions/download slots and this gives you an extra slot.
    • The ability to resume downloads instead of starting from scratch.
    • The ability to retry multiple failed downloads in the queue and resume from the failure point. (Yes, both Fetch and LeechFTP did this, FTP can sometimes have one file end transfer prematurely for some strange reason when doing a mass download).
    • (optional) The ability to browse the local directory and choose where you want to put your downloads instead of generic "downloads" folder.
    • The ability to do a mass upload as well as a download the same way. (this requirement might be depreciated, but better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. I haven't needed it since my HTC One X+ died, as it was easier to use FTP than the USB to transfer my fanfic library to my phone, but I had no such issues with my Galaxy S9, and I haven't done a mass upload to anything else in years).
    • GUI similar to LeechFTP or Fetch 2.X/3.X (haven't tried 5 and not sure if I tried 4).
    Any suggestions on what's good these days that works with Windows 10? I haven't searched for a new client because 90% of the time Firefox was good enough, and after that I just used LeechFTP on an old computer, but now I need something for Win10.

Edit, I feel like an idiot, I just had to set compatibility mode to get it to install, then open the frigging firewall! It was the firewall that was making it not work. :bang: :facepalm::bang:

Last edited: Jan 13, 2023
  2. Keneth Gems: 29/31

★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    Only FTP client I've used in recent years was FileZilla, but I have very low requirements since FTP isn't really a thing anymore. :shake:

3. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    Until yesterday the only FTP sites I'd been on in the last decade were ftp://ftp.apple.asimov.net and the RAAC archive, but the FTP mirror of the RAAC archive has apparently gone down (seems they need to relocate about once a decade). I found an HTTP mirror, just like just about all the other old Apple II FTP sites are down but have HTTP mirrors.

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I've been using FileZilla for a number of years now as well. Can't really say that I'm a huge fan, but it works (most of the time) and it's free, so can't complain much. I only need it maybe twice a month on average, if that, so it's not a big deal for me any more.

5. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    Considering that I once installed FileZilla server on my Vista (I upgraded to Win7 Pro so didn't need it, and have 10 Pro) computer, I find it odd that I just got a warning about PUPs from Windows Defender when I tried to download FileZilla client.
    Did I get scammed by a fake server with this link? I thought the URL looked right.
    https://filezilla-project.org/download.php?type=client#close

I know what PUPs are, things like OpenCandy or Yahoo/Bing toolbar, I just don't recall any craplets bundled with FileZilla Server a decade ago. Hence why I'm asking.
    If it will force me to install the craplets, I might not even investigate it.

Also, as I reported earlier, I got LeechFTP working, I'm just banging my head because Windows usually prompts me to open the firewall when I install a new app, but it did not this time and I didn't think of checking the firewall because I hadn't gotten enough sleep yesterday.
    LeechFTP still works, although it has an annoying window for the automatic updates that appears once a week until you goto file->options->appearance and turn off "check for updates once a week".

6. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Strange, I get no such warning from Windows Defender using the same link. I'm sure you're not forced to install anything alongside with it, at worst it would be optional.

7. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    I keep getting a "sponsored setup" file.
    [​IMG]
    Although digging, it looks like "sponsored" is removed from the filename and the file is about 11K smaller if I choose the "show additional download options" and pick the 64bit version from the resulting list instead of hitting the big "download" button on the page in my previous post.

Double-clicking the 11,124K file instead of the 11,135K file takes me to a UAC prompt immediately instead of a warning from Windows Defender about PUPs.
    This is where I got the not "sponsored" file from:
    https://filezilla-project.org/download.php?show_all=1

I haven't tried installing yet, got something else going and can't interrupt for a few more minutes.

8. Taluntain

Media:
    Actually, you can see "This installer may include bundled offers." listed below the big green download button. The installer without it is available under additional options. Interesting.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.