1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Thieving from stealth

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by nrloh, Mar 24, 2021.

1. nrloh Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Well, is it possible to steal while staying hidden in BG TotSC?
    What I mean is to unlock a chest and empty its content without breaking stealth... maybe with the support of a spell of some kind or something? Could anyone help me on this?
    Thanks in advance.

2. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    I might be confusing BG1 with BG2, or IWD1, but there is one where you have a second or two after the stealth is broken to quaff an invisibility potion.
    Probably not enough time to loot the chest unless it only contains one item.
    You'd need two invisibility potions to do it. Sneak up to the chest, unlock, quaff potion. Loot chest, quaff potion. Be quick.

3. nrloh Gems: 1/31

When looting a chest I usually hit the pause button immediately after opening it, so I believe time (one item or dozen) won't be issue here.
    With two invisibility potions... (if have two of these to throw on a single container)...it will probably work.
    But I thought there might be some more elegant method, worthy of a supreme thief. Well, I guess I'll have to wait to start BG2 of IWD1 and possibly gain access to some advanced magic to perform this. But thanks anyhow.

4. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    I can't think of any magic that would help. Casting Knock breaks invisibility, whether from spell or scroll. Improved Invisibility doesn't help either. I haven't experimented with Mislead however. I never thought to try, and mislead is a pretty powerful combat spell to waste.

5. nrloh Gems: 1/31

Ok, and if I understood correctly, improving my thieving skills (beyond 100%) won't help either.
    Heck, it's just a minor inconvenience, it wont spoil my fun. I'll just stick to "charm and loot" tactics then.

6. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    Nope, the thieving skills affect your chance to hide, and you success rate at opening locks and disarming traps (too low and it's impossible, too high and there is no chance of failure, but in a certain range you have a % chance).
    Things that automatically break stealth do not make a check. Increasing stealth only affects the chance that stealth will fail, and remember that you have to constantly make stealth checks every round.
    In BG2 and IWD, IIRC "Hide in the shadows" primarily affects you chance to get into stealth mode, "move silently" affects your chance to remain in it for more than one round.

7. Keneth Gems: 29/31

★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    The way the engine is made makes it impossible to not break stealth when interacting with containers, even with magical invisibility.

8. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    As I recall, at least in BG2, you can hide in shadows, and unlock / remove traps on a container without immediately breaking stealth. You'll have the remainder of the round until the hide in shadows passes. Not sure if this would break invisibility or not, though. Opening a container will count as an action and will immediately break stealth and invisibility.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.