1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Covid-19 Restrictions

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Sorvo, Apr 28, 2020.

1. Sorvo

Sorvo Where's the nearest pub? Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Generic Imp likes this.
  2. Saggaris Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Vaccine's in sight in UK... approved and ready for batch testing, within a few days care homes and staff, then over 80's and medical staff, then middle aged and finally the young... along those lines anyway!
    The US claim to be just a few days behind, which again is great news, the difficult part of testing and issuing will be no doubt taxing on those in charge.
    :)

3. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    Why am I now thinking of the Tom Clancy novel "Rainbow Six" where Horizon Corporation is controlled by environmental extremists turned Eco-terrorists that plan to unleash a nasty virus to wipe out most of the human race in the name of saving the environment?

The plan had them unleashing the virus at the Olympics to maximize the spread throughout the world, then after six months they would announce that they have a vaccine for it. They were counting on the panic over the epidemic to reduce the normal stringent testing requirements that take years of the FDA in order to get the cure out as soon as possible.
    The "vaccine" was meant to look like it was working and would pass the test, but in fact was infecting people with a version of the virus with an extremely long incubation period, though it would still prevent them from getting the main strain.

Of course, they had developed an actual vaccine that worked that they planned to keep for themselves and a select few others.

I know, paranoid nightmare fuel. Still, every time I hear about a vaccine being rushed into approval I think of this plot in a novel I read over 20 years ago.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rainbow_Six_(novel)

4. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

ah and Obama, Clinton and Bush are getting the real vaccin to let us believe it's safe and then we also get a shot and will get the wrong vaccin. Interesting theory :-) The only issue is, they need at a long time to give everybody a vaccin. In most countries they will start with health care employees, people with high risk etc. So before it's available for us, we will know the truth.... ;-)

5. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    I did say it was "paranoid nightmare fuel". I just had to get it out of my system because I keep thinking of that old Tom Clancy novel whenever they talk about the vaccine and how the FDA is expediting the approval process. IIRC (aka don't hold me to this) normally it would take 3+ years before any vaccine would be approved for general distribution to ensure there were no unwanted side effects or complications and that it was safe and effective.
    I wasn't any more serious than when I threw out the idea that Trump had made a deal with the devil to get elected, but for some reason I just can't get that book out of my head, and I haven't read it in over 20 years!

6. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Ich dien ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    That sounds absolutely normal and understandable.
    A while ago where in Germany the discussion was high to change the laws about donations of organs (Never enough to satisfry the needs of all who need a replacement organ, so - still voluntarily only? Or can your organs be taken after your death - unless you explicitely forbid that in writing and have that on your body at all times?)
    I could not stop but to think about an old move I saw: "Fleisch" (Meat) which in short was about a syndicate that ran a hospital and widespread connections, that used paramedic cars to hunt down athletes and healthy fit people to slaughter them for their organs once a rich guy needed some
    https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fleisch_(1979)

Especially the end was a vivid memory as the female protagonist receives the help of a female doctor, high in the ranks of that hospital, can escape due to that help and learns that this doctor has volunteered to be a witness in a trial - only to see that person be captured on the steps of the court house by some paramedics of another van of that hospital... :aaa:

7. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    Well, I just realized that COVID and it's restrictions has been good for at least one thing.
    Often public restrooms are best described as a "pig sty", but since COVID has started, the few times I've used them they have been cleaned up.
    The door to the restroom on the trains were kept open, and I could see that it was clean, which was the first time I'd ever seen them so clean.
    So some good has come from this, people are being less messy, and places are being more diligent about cleaning up the restrooms.

I'd normally try to avoid them, but I have this annoying cough that happens in the winter for 4 of the last 5 years, and they put me on these pills to try to get rid of it that have the side effect of making me urinate 25 times a day. Yes, that does mean that I was getting up all night to pee.

8. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    For me, I haven't had a cold in well over a year. Nice.

9. WickedPrince Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

The flip side: some local stores here have closed their restrooms completely because it's not worth paying people to clean then when very few customers are coming in. Not good when you discover you suddenly need the restroom VERY BADLY.

10. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    True, and most drinking fountains are shut off.
    That's really bad news for me when I'm on my bicycle if I'm going more than 3 miles. I tend to drink a liberally when it's over 74 degrees outside and empty my 2 water bottles quickly (1 20oz, 1 12 or 16, I'm not sure).
    Heck, I just took my bike out of winter storage on Monday, but they don't usually turn on the outdoor fountains in parks until after Memorial Day (because we can get freezing cold weather even in May, although it's rare).

11. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    If I didn't have young children going to school / daycare, it'd be the same for me. It is pretty nice not to have a cold as often as usual, though.

Unfortunately, covid seems to be sweeping through the village here, several different cases on the different schools here, in the past week alone. Possibly had something to do with the nice weather we had about two weeks back, I'm guessing, because the parks around here were overflowing with people in the weekends.

12. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Ich dien ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Can´t you move the instances of having to pee somewhat, e.g. by drinking less in the evening and nothing in the night?

13. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    I'm off the meds now (heh), but the sides effects are related, and what is directly caused by the pills and what is indirect isn't so clear.
    #1. You get a very dry mouth and feel thirsty far more than you should.
    #2. You urinate far more frequently than you should even with the increased amount of water I drink.
    I doubt I more than doubled the amount of daily water I drank, but I was urinating about once an hour. Even deliberately going thirsty only seemed to lower it to once every 2.5 hours and that required going 12 hours without drinking.

14. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    I just met some nutcase in the streets protesting that requiring people to get vaccinated is impairing our freedoms and unAmerican.
    UnAmerican? I was under the impression that polio, measles, and several other vaccines have been required for schoolchildren for at least two generations. I can't recall what the requirements (sorry, this was over 25 years ago) were when I was in high school, but they did have to show proof in order to enroll.
    I hear that they now require the chicken pox vaccine as well, but that one didn't exist when I was a kid in the '80s.
    Heck, if the latter is true, it's even crazier that they aren't protesting requirements for chicken pox vaccines instead of COVID. I recall that it was considered a nussence for young children under 8, but deadly to adults and teens, so they used to have "chicken pox parties" for kids in kindergarten or first grade and sometimes preschool in order for them to catch it early so they'd be immune as adults. If a parent wasn't immune arrangements were made for the child to stay with friends whose parents had had it.

Why are they only protesting COVID vaccine requirements?

Last edited: Sep 18, 2021
  15. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Because their attention doesn't extend beyond what's immediately in front of their nose, for the most part. And because the covid vaccines are relatively new and consequently they know that they are bad, evil, untested, poison etc. They read it on Facebook, so it must be true.

16. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    How about this: The mRNA vaccines are new technology with NO long-term data for negative side effects, and COVID-19 is not particularly deadly for the young and healthy. There are also the side effects to consider. Let's say you are 19 years of age or under. Your chance of dying from COVID-19 is 0.003% or less (likely less if you are healthy). According to the CDC the rate of death in the US after receiving a COVID-19 vaccine from Dec 2020 through Sep 2021 is 0.002% (for the entire population, not just 19 and under). The rate of myocarditis/pericarditis after receiving a second dose of an mRNA COVID-19 vaccine is 0.001% for ages 12-39.

There is also evidence that recovering from COVID-19 gives you better future immunity than the vaccines.

If I were young and healthy I might have decided to take my chances. I have never gotten a flu vaccine and I can't remember the last time I've been sick let alone with the flu. So I would likely not be happy about the government trying to force this new technology on me.

17. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    That reads like it implies that the vaccine was the cause of death in 0.002% of cases, but you know that that's not the case. The primary recipients of the vaccine were the elderly and older adults who were more likely to die due to various other illnesses and causes anyway. Vaccines don't cause 0.002% of people to die after taking them.

The death rates are often cited by anti-vaxxers, but I'm far less concerned about dying from covid than about the long-term consequences that several people I know have been suffering from, some for nearly a year now, with little improvement during this time. Reducing covid to merely the likelihood of dying is missing the big picture.

As far as personal experiences go, I used to get the flu relatively often. Never got a flu shot for it. The last 4 or 5 years though I've decided to give the flu shots a chance and haven't caught it since. I'm only sorry I haven't done it before, because I've probably wasted a few months of my life in bed sick with the flu over the course of my life.

18. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I'm the opposite, kind of….. I get the flu (or at least I get really sick after….)only the years i received the shot, but I take the shot anyway because my spouse works in the hospitals. It's about the whole, not just me….. i wouldn't want my wife to bring it to others who are currently in bad shape. Weighing personal rights/freedoms vs basic human regard…. Its says a lot about someone.

19. Taluntain

Media:
    Since you can't get the flu due to getting a flu shot, I can only imagine it must be a coincidence or due to some other reason. The flu shots also become less effective the older you get, so just getting it doesn't necessarily mean that you're protected at all. "While vaccine effectiveness (VE) can vary, recent studies show that flu vaccination reduces the risk of flu illness by between 40% and 60% among the overall population during seasons when most circulating flu viruses are well-matched to those used to make flu vaccines." (source)

So you've only got about a 50% shot at being protected with the vaccine. By today's standards that's really not very good, so I'm curious why nobody is developing a better flu vaccine.

20. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    And there's nothing wrong with that point of view. People should be allowed to make their own decisions about what risks they want to take, and then live with the consequences.

Taluntain likes this.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.