1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Would it be faster to backup over Ethernet?

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by SlickRCBD, Jan 11, 2021.

1. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    I realized I haven't done a backup of my Windows 98SE/XP dual-boot computer in years, but I can get a 256gb flash drive for $38 from Costco, and then I can just make an image, something I haven't done in almost 15 years.

The computer in question has USB 1.1 ports and a Fast Ethernet card (100baseT, technically a 10/100), not a gigabit card. When I got it my previous computer had a slow Ethernet (10baseT) card so it was fast at the time. I can't recall if the machine being backed up is ATA IDE66 or 100. I'm 90% certain it's the 100. It's a Dell Optiplex GX110 my mother got through the school she worked at for about $150 right before Windows ME was released as a special educational discount from Dell (those discounts were the main reason why I didn't build my own from scratch until after she retired, at least not for myself. Cheaper to take a stock model and upgrade it). Actually I think ME was technically released but it came with Windows 98SE.

I have another computer on the network with USB 3.0 (gen1) ports and a gigabit Ethernet card.
    Would it be faster to do the backup over the network at Fast Ethernet speeds instead of trying to do the backup of over 200gb of data via USB 1.1? (I use it as a file server, and if I'm doing an image I'm including my games and program files as well as two Windows OSes, although I cheat by installing programs that work on both OSes twice to the exact same drive and location under both OSes to save disk space).
    I'm thinking of sharing the 256gb drive and just starting CloneZilla and telling it to run overnight and while I'm at work, and hopefully it will be done by the time I get home. I know that network shares are an option, and I don't see why I can't share a 256gb SanDisk Cruiser temporarily for this purpose. I don't have that much free disk space on any of my hard drives however (I need a bigger HD).

So, what's faster? Backing up to USB 1.1 or backing up via Fast Ethernet (goes by the slowest common denominator) to a machine with a USB 3 port?
    I can't recall exactly how slow USB 1.1 is.

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    USB 1.1 Full Bandwidth mode is only 12 Mbps.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.