1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

How to beat Firkraag at level 8

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Steppenwolf, Mar 23, 2001.

1. jack-of-all-trades Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

though i wouldn't use this strat, it is in no way "cheating" or "expanding the games limitations". This is an RPG for christs sake. if this is the way any one of u want to play the game, fine, but i think <coughs>, toast is way out of line in this post. and where did u get off saying he was making threats to u?? I think that u made the threat toast, so get off of his back.

Crangrats and thanks for sharing.

2. cotman68 Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

This strategy has already been describe (the old 'let your fighter use timestop in order to beat the red dragon')

my opinion on 'is this a cheat tactic'...

not really. but clearly demonstrates some flaws in the game. some points:

1. many strategies are not designed as the creators of the rules intended---like the cloudkill strategy, the 'summon a bunch of canon fodder' strategy, the 'make the monster mad and then run away until its protects wear off' and , yes, the 'time stopped fighter strategy'.. but they are not really cheats. cheating is using cheat codes or shadow keeper.. these are minor.. er.. exploits... of some poorly safeguarded rules of the game
    (others in this category include quivering palm and thief traps)
    2. in paper and pen D and D, shouldn't you be able to let your fighter be the focus of a timestop with a limited wish? well. this depends on the DM.. some would, some wouldn't.. (I wouldn't.. maybe with a full 'Wish')

3. what does toast really mean? I think traps fall into the minor exploit category (they are way too powerful imho).. but toast defends them as 'not cheats'.. hmm
    https://sorcerers.net/community/threads/can-you-beat-firkraag-on-your-first-encounter.2176/

4. btw.. I agree with several of the above posters: dragons are too weak in this game

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2021
  3. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

I think this tactics is just as "cheat" as putting traps all around firkraag. Then if you call it cheat then go ahead. Personally, I enjoy the fight, enjoy the thrill of surviving his firebreath (if I do).

4. Kidd Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Personally Firrag is not as diffucult as the Shadow Dragon, as least Firrag doesnt cast level drain that changed Jahair from level 11/10 to 2/3.

I dont know what people consider to be a cheat method, what about the ring of Ram? I had to use that to give the finish blow to Firrag.

5. Wizard advocate Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG] Really, from the way people denounce using one magics as cheat, you would have thought they were worshippers of Tempus. No attacking when neutral, no using powerful magics, no fingers of death, no this no that. Ok, but i am moderate, sure i agree that setting traps around a neutral dragon is not realism and using cloudkills over fog of war. But not using magic? That's way too much. I mean in the real world, no one observes the code of chivary or whatever. Attack when your enemey least expects, backstabbing or launch a sure-kill combo is just one of many tactics. A plan is called cheating only when it defies realism. And in the forgotten realm world, magic is there to make your life easier and enemies less powerful. Good grief! Soon enough, you all will come up with a Geneva convention for BG2! So unless you are a firm worshipper of that barbaric god Tempus, who believes hack and slash is the only way to battle, I am sure you will all agree that Steppenwolve's tactic is an extremely brillant one. Excellent work!

[This message has been edited by Wizard advocate (edited June 01, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Wizard advocate (edited June 01, 2001).]

6. Rafy Gems: 1/31

It sound very good on paper, however, my djinn does not give me the time control option

7. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Should've waited till june, then it would've been a clean 20 year necro :p

For getting the time stop option, you should have WIS of 14+, and you'll need some luck. You might not get the option every time you talk to the genie, if I remember correctly (it definitely works that way for the full Wish spell). Also, I believe later versions of the G3 fixes changed so that only the caster can talk to the genie (which is argueably not necessarily a fix, but more of a tweak, but ok). Probably this was also 'fixed' for the EE version, if you're playing that version of the game.

8. Rafy Gems: 1/31

Hello!
    I have tried this many times and it did not work. The problems seems to be that no matter how far I send my caster, the genie only speaks with the caster.
    Since I am playing the enhanced version, I assume it must be related to some "bug fix" or smth like that.

Yes, that definitely must be it. Oh well, back to the training.Oh, btw, i have managed to disintegrate Firkraag a few times. I only got the sword as drop, and at least for me, the scale are more valuable.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2021
  9. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Since this is an old thread from the times of the Classic version, in the future please post in the BG2:EE forum as there are differences between the versions that affect gameplay.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.