1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

So... is anyone playing?

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate 3' started by Shadowcouncil, Nov 10, 2020.

1. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

Yeah I guess so, don’t have that one yet. I have read good things about it though so yeah, when we are done with Dos:2 I might try 1 as well

2. Syrup Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Veteran

I kind of like it.

3. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Larian does make nice games. But we will never have a game that has the same feel to it as BG1/2. We have matured so our perspective is different.

I remember when I bought a game magazine with the Baldurs gate 2 demo. Paid 60 Euro the next day. The first hours in the Irenicus dungeon.....

But we really must not expect BG3 to be like the first two. Those days are gone. It is just an other fairly good Larian game that I will buy in a Steam sale.

4. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

True, that will never return, not even if they would make a game that has the same feel to it as BG1 and 2. Those days are gone and even if the games haven't changed, we have. Still, I liked playing Baldur's Gate 3 a lot. Compared to the older BG-games, it's not the same feel, when we discovered a bit of the full potential of playing die-hard roleplaying games on a computer but you there is more to compare. The storyline is great, both in text and in visuals, the voice-actors are great, graphics have improved so much, compared to the old Baldur's Gate games. And like I said before, the turn based system makes it feel more like Dungeons and Dragons than the old games ever did. Especially when you play multiplayer with friends, this game gave me more the feeling of playing Dungeons and Dragons in a living room than any other game ever did. So I would still recommend: Try to find some friends who will like it as well, convince them to buy the game and go play multiplayer :-)

Apart from that, it's in my humble opinion, not "just a good Larian-game". Compared to DOS:2, I think it's a big step forward. Maybe I also feel that way because I like this type of fantasy more than DOS:2's cartoon-style with all the lizards and undead-options and I'm more familiar with D&D-rules and The Forgotten Realms... anyhow, storyline graphics, characters, gameplay. I know Larian made great game and still I feel like BG3 is by far the best they have ever made.

5. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I am patient. It will go on a Steam sale sooner or later.

6. Merlanni

Media:
    The general problem with early access is that if you only have time for one good run, being to having a life outside the zombie-box, you do not want to miss out content or have a unusable save game at 80% completion.

damedog likes this.
  7. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

A bit late, but in Steam, you can can keep playing a specific version after an update is announced. Played it for the second time a couple of weeks ago during a game weekend with friends and shortly after, the latest patch was released. So you will not be able to continue your campaign when the full game is released but at least you can take as long as you want to finish act 1. And it will take at least a year for the full game to be released so it's not so bad to start all over again then. I enjoyed replaying act 1 a lot. So if you are planning to buy it sooner or later, better buy it soon :-)

8. damedog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Resourceful Veteran

I bought this when it first came out naively thinking it would be about a year before the full release. Lol.

9. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I will eventually. Got too many things on my to do list when it comes to gaming.

10. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    I keep seeing that the game is still "in development" yet they are charging $60 for a beta version?
    I refuse to buy it on general principal that if you are going to charge that kind of money, the game should be finished and bug free. The fact that it's been in beta release for years is further off-putting.

damedog likes this.
  11. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

Well you should see it more as kickstarting (pay for something that still has to be developed). Mostly done by die hard fans. Those are also the ones with valuable input / feedback on what you have made and how you can improve it.

So they did Early Access and made one act and afterwards, they looked a lot at all the feedback from the early adopters and improved the act, and the others acts that will follow as well.

Yes, I think Larian overestimated the project a bit and it does taken longer then they expected but you could also say: it takes longer because they take the opinion of the players serious and they want to deliver quality.

If you are not a die hard fan, you should forget about early access, the game is still in development. Just wait for the full release date, check the reviews and decide if it’s to your liking. Kickstarting, early access and stuff is not for doubters :-)

12. Keneth Gems: 29/31

★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    Vincke said that they underestimated the amount of work and people that they would need for the game by a lot. Since the announcement, the company has almost doubled in size, and the scope of the game has also widened. COVID didn't really do them any favors either. I think projections for the actual release are early 2023.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.