1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Start X-com without Steam

Discussion in 'Playground' started by SlickRCBD, Dec 12, 2020.

1. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    Any idea how to play X-com without starting Steam? All the .exe files I can find launch Steam and "verify your account" before the game starts.
    In another thread it was mentioned it was possible to play Steam games without starting Steam.
    I've tried launching the following:
    Code:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\XCom-Enemy-Unknown\Binaries\Win32\XComGame.exe
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\XCom-Enemy-Unknown\XEW\Binaries\Win32\XComEW.exe
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\XCom-Enemy-Unknown\XEW\Binaries\Win32\XCOMLauncher.exe

All of which launch Steam and "verify your account" before launching the game.
    I have the DVD version of it, but it seems the DVD is only used to install Steam, then it downloads the game from the internet. I found no way to install from the DVD.

Well, this was a Christmas present from two years ago, so it wasn't my decision to buy the Steam version, and I can't complain since I had mentioned to the person that I never got to try the remake for X-Com.

2. wrangler Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

3. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I'm not familiar with the Steam version, but I'm not surprised all of these executables call steam. The first one is the original X-Com, the second is the expansion Enemy Within, and the last one is the launcher that let's you chose between either of the above.

It's annoying if it needs to verify through Steam everytime you start it, normally I'd expect it to work without Steam, otherwise you'd not be able to play it if the internet was down for some reason.

4. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    Apparently if you put Steam into Offline mode before the internet goes down, it only needs to "phone home" about once a month. If you are unlucky and the internet goes down just as Steam decides it needs to "phone home" and check for updates, you can't play the game.
    Otherwise, you can have Steam start the next time in "Offline Mode", but it will reset after about a month. If the internet is down, you're SOL.

Oh, and it seems that clicking on ANY of those exe files will launch the launcher asking you if you want to play Enemy Unknown or Enemy Within.

That's the extent of what I've been able to find.

I found out about the offline mode after there was an outage during the March/April Shutdown due to COVID and couldn't play the game.
    Fortunately X-COM is my only Steam game, and I've got plenty of other choices. Including the original, or at least the Windows Collector's Edition that I picked up over 10 years ago in a library "book sale".

5. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    You're missing out if you don't play both Enemy Unknown and Enemy Within. :)

6. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I only ever played Enemy Within, but from what I can tell, you don't miss out on much by just playing that, and skipping Enemy Unknown. Unless you don't like the added Exalt tom foolery, MEC troopers, and gene modifications.

7. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    It's a different experience without those changes made in Enemy Within. I'd recommend playing Enemy Unknown if you get the chance; the gene mods, while great, make the game much easier. I've never played with the MEC mods, but if they're as powerful as the gene mods they would again make the game much easier.

The biggest difference to me between Enemy Unknown and Enemy Within is the addition of the Meld cannisters where you have to rush forward to gather them before the timers expire. In Enemy Unknown there's no rush unless you're playing one of the Alien Terror missions.

8. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    Uh, I never got around to trying the MECs, I went for the gene mods as that regeneration mod really made a huge difference when I played Enemy Within and won before I had researched the MECs. Where I had completed the research tree when I played Enemy Unknown.
    I guess I need to play again and try the MECs.

9. henkie

Media:
    Yes, you should try the MECs, they're great fun. I typically only end the game after I've researched everything, even if that stuff is no longer useful anymore.

If you don't want to, you don't need to rush the canisters, you don't need to use genemods, and, obviously, you don't need MECs. It just gives more options. And more different types of missions, to add a bit of variety to the base game missions.

Personally, I don't care if it makes the game easier, it makes the game more enjoyable for me, and that's what counts, I think. If I'd want a challenge, I'd go play the long war mod, but I don't think I'll ever will. But if you like to play just the base game, don't mind my opinions, whatever is fun for you is what is important ;)

10. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Of course; I'm just saying it's different and I'd recommend you give it a whirl to see if you like it.

Impossible! They beckon. :D

11. henkie

Media:
    I understand, but I'd miss the jumpy genemods and punchy MECs, I'm sure. I could give it a try, maybe if I have some more time, in a few years ;)

It does feel that way, I agree :p

12. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Ich dien ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Most of the games I own on Steam are singleplayergames that would not need the online connection, except for vanity (e.g. pretty pictures of achievements and such).

Most games only require to be installed using Steam and being started once using steam to be validated. After that you can usually start them without an online connection to Steam (but with Steam running in the background) and some even without Steam started at all.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/200510/discussions/0/846944052722775705/

And I would never install games, Steam or not, to a folder like you mention in your first post, in
    C:\Program Files... etc.

Even if it is an old game that normally could be run without administrator rights, it will need them if you install them there.
    Just install games to something like e.g. C:\Games\... if you have only 1 HDD.
    My own Steam games are even on a different HDD e.g. at:
    M:\Steam\SteamApps\common

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...pc-games/45bb4b15-928a-4b02-b9d0-f62704da424b

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2020
  13. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    I'd normally, agree, but at the time I was having a hell of a time getting the game to work on Windows 10 at all. By the time I got it working, I had stopped changing directories and was just blindly following any online instructions I could find on how to get the damn thing to install on Win10 until I could get one that worked.

Oh, and that link is outdated. Steam will force you to log in again about once a month as part of the DRM and to check for updates to the client. I can find no way to turn off the autocratic updates. At least the Windows 10 version of Steam. It will also conveniently "forget" your password so you have to remember which e-mail and password you used for Steam.
    Heaven help you if that time of the month comes around just as you get an internet outage, you're SOL until you can log in to Steam again.

14. henkie

Media:
    Yeah, and that's why I prefer to just get the games on GoG. It means I cannot play all games, since not all games get to GoG, but whatever, at least I don't have to deal with Steam. It's not like I have time to play all those games, anyway.

The point about not putting a game in Program Files directories is still a good point, and generally should be avoided, though relatively newer games like the X-Com remake should be able to handle any issues with the rights management by Windows (typically by putting config and save files in a different place).

15. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Ich dien ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    https://www.howtogeek.com/117424/how-to-make-steams-offline-mode-work/

16. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    @ConjurerDragon
    That works for about a month, the Steam decides it hasn't checked for updates in a while and automatically checks, and if there is an update switches to online mode, downloads and installs the update, then prompts you for the login and password. If there is no update it will remember the login and password.

Note that I'm using an always-online desktop, not a laptop so turning off the internet isn't as easy without elevating to the admin (which I can but nobody else has the admin password). Even choosing "Airplane mode" in Win10 doesn't stop the wired Ethernet from working.

17. henkie

Media:
    Just pull out the cable, instant offline mode. Or pull the plug on the modem. Or the router, or the switch, or whatever is closest or easiest to reach.

18. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    But then, I'd have to get up :|
    Seriously, the router and switch are on top of the hutch, and the CPU is under the desk and I can't get at the back without getting up.

19. henkie

Media:
    Then, if you click on the icon, go to Network settings, go to Network and sharing centre, go to your adapter, click disable adapter. Not an instant click, but without getting up ;)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.