1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Assertion failed error

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale (Classic)' started by Big Bri 78, Nov 26, 2020.

1. Big Bri 78 Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

i get an error in CIcon.cpp at line number 162 and am stuck
    i sold the yeti pelts to orrick to make me armor and after i get it, once i look at equipment page it crashes.
    I have the CD tweaks fix back loaded and everything was OK. no clue what to do. since its chapter one do i restart? uninstall and start again?
    can i export characters and then start again with them?
    never played the game before. i have IWD 1, heart or winter and IWD 2 games.
    i am not computer savvy, so im at a loss.

2. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    I don't recall much about the assertion errors and causes, however a corrupted character/save could do it.
    You COULD export the characters and then start over. That would actually be a good test to see if the error is caused by a corrupted character. Don't delete your save, just try it for diagnostic purposes.

However, if you have any containers such as bags of holding, gem bags, scroll cases, potion cases, or ammo belts (added by ease-of-use or tweaks), items inside the containers will not be exported; so normally I'd tell you to fill up your inventory with what you want to keep. Since it's crashing on the equipment screen, that may not be possible and you'll be left with only what you have equipped and what is in inventory.

If you try uninstalling and reinstalling, make sure you have all the official patches for the game installed, and install the fixpack immediately after installing the patches.

BTW, I'm drawing a complete blank on "CD Tweaks", could you link to that? It sounds familiar.

3. Big Bri 78 Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

D tweaks was the gibberlings 3 fix. If i export and restart and then it works i guess im ok? I saved the game without the yeti pelts so i was going to play it and see. If the item was not a big deal it should be fine. Just hate errors when i am not a computer guy to fix it

4. wrangler Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Maybe it's related to your mod. I ran IWD v1.42 without mods and didn't have that problem.

5. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Media:
    Sorry for the confusion, but "D tweaks" is also known as "D0 Tweaks" and "Ding0's Tweak Pack". Actually the "D0 Tweaks" is new to me, last time I checked the website it was called "DTweaks" or "Ding0's Tweak Pack" and I only saw the D0 when I was pulling up the URL for you. The Mod is for Baldur's Gate II, not IWD1 and I find half of them useful.

I think you meant G3 Tweaks.
    In any case, I haven't had any problem with the older G3 tweak pack, either versions 3 or 8. I haven't installed the latest as I don't think I've played IWD1 since version 8 of G3 Tweaks was current before they combined it into the "Tweaks Anthology".

6. xosmi Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Media:
    So, some similar references to this error i was able to find, though only one for IWD specifically :

- Caused in Baldur's Gate caused by incorrect path during TuTu installation. (Beamdog forum thread)
    - A quoted post from the now defunct BioWare forums on the Pocketplane group board (original post no longer available even through wayback machine)
    - And finally 1 post in German over on baldurs-gate.de

Basically breaks down to the BAM file (the graphic for the item icon) for the item being broken.
    The broken bam should be for the Yeti Hide Armor +1 since that's the one that you gain off orrick, opening the inventory while carrying it will try and display this bam file and thus crash the game.
    Doing some digging with nearinfinity in my own IWD installation, I found it listed as CDHARMOR.ITM in the game files, using CDHARMOR.BAM as item icon and GLEAT01.BAM to display the item laying on the ground.
    I do have my own mods installed but i'm 99% sure that none of them change this item.

Possible Fixes :

Go into your override folder inside your IWD installation folder, check if a mod placed either a CDHARMOR.ITM or CDHARMOR.BAM file there that overrides the original one.
    If there is, you could opt to remove the file. in case of the .bam override file this only removes the changed graphic, but if it is a .itm file the mod might also have made other changes to the item stats that will also be removed if you pull the file out of your override folder.
    To maybe get around that, i actually pulled the CDHARMOR.bam file from my own install and uploaded it to my dropbox for you here. putting it in the override folder of your IWD installation should in theory roll back the graphic to that one while still keeping any changes stat wise to the item any mod would have made.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
    Taluntain likes this.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.