1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Pissed at how crazy the world has gotten lately.

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Dice, Aug 21, 2020.

1. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    There definitely is an over representation of indigenous people in Canadian jails. Only in the past few decades has the government begun to acknowledge the racism and abuse that has affected our indigenous population for generations. Residential Schools, that were established after 1880, were created by Christian Churches and the Canadian government to convert indigenous youth into white Canadian society. These children were stolen from their families, beaten, silenced, raped and murdered under the guise of "educating them". In total, an estimated 150,000 First Nation, Inuit, and Métis children attended these residential schools. As a result of the racism and abuse they suffered, they have had to deal with poverty and violence in their own culture, which has passed through the generations.

'Starlight tours' were practiced by police in both Saskatchewan and Winnipeg in the 1990 - early 2000. This term referred to a practice in which officers were said to have picked up drunk or rowdy indigenous people at night (young men in particular were targeted), and drop them off in the dead of winter in the middle of nowhere. Some documented victims who died of hypothermia as a result of these practices include Lawrence Wegner, Neil Stonechild, and Rodney Naistus. Racism was the motivation and the perpetrators were the police.

I know a lot of good police officers as well, and they go out of their way help people. Labeling all officers as "corrupt", because of the select group that are corrupt, is like labeling the entire BLM as violent because of the select group who are acting out in violence. Sadly the good officers and the well intentioned activists are both left walking on eggshells.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2020
  2. WickedPrince Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

"Sadly the good officers and the well intentioned activists are both left walking on eggshells." I can both understand and respect this. The real insanity that's going on is the extremists in both (all?) groups who are making their more moral compatriots look bad.

I may have said this here; or I may have said this in another thread with another group because the topic is a hot one lately; but IMHO a huge part of what's going on is that people are just sick of being isolated by Covid19. Here in the US most states have laws in effect restricting leaving home only for necessities like shopping with the occasional foray to walk dogs and get excercise. 6-12 weeks of such isolation is enough to make people crazy during winter months; now we've been at it for 6+ MONTHS starting right at the end of winter and everybody is on the edge of total mental meltdown. Hopefully things will return to some semblance of normal once we have an answer to the Covid19 scare. Not that I'm taking Covid19 lightly; I'm in a high-risk group because of my asthma and my age.

I'll note that I voted for Obama's first term because I was hopeful he'd come through with his promises to make things here better; but all he really did is vastly increase the national deficit while sucking up to our enemies and stabbing our allies in the back. I didn't vote for his second term when I saw his actions during his first term.

I wasn't about to support Hillary because I don't trust her morals or integrity.

I supported Trump because I wanted to see a change in the downward spiral in the US economy and hoped that somebody who wasn't just another lying politician might do better. I have said many times I don't trust professional politicians because the only skill they've proven to have is the ability to tell the right lie to the right people to get elected; and then all bets are off. We need to stop voting for professional politicians; I don't care what party they belong to.

If I put in my 2 cents; the thing I'm most frustrated by about all of this is the instigators who keep pushing all these issues into violence. THEY are the ones that are starting all this insanity taking advantage of the already tenuous situation.

Dice likes this.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.