1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Covid-19 Restrictions

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Sorvo, Apr 28, 2020.

1. WickedPrince Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Dang why didn't any of us think of that. :D

SlickRCBD likes this.
  2. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    OK, I think this is going to far.
    I installed a webcam for net meetings. When testing after I got it started, I took a sip of water and it went down the wrong pipe and I started coughing.
    The anti-virus then popped up and said I hadn't run an antivirus scan in 30-some days, would I like to run one now?
    Funny coincidence or is it?

Last edited: Feb 20, 2022
  3. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Ich dien ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Personalized advertising. Everyone is watching you... :cool:

4. WickedPrince Gems: 9/31

I was just watching a youtube a few days ago about a woman who had worked for Cambridge Analytica - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Facebook–Cambridge_Analytica_data_scandal who was saying that many of the applications we install on our computers and smart phones include TOS clauses that let them turn the camera on and record you when-ever they want. . . All so they can help you with relevant advertising of course. . .

5. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Pretty sure that's illegal in the EU. But that is also why I tape off the cameras on laptops and phones. Just to be sure.

6. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    Well, Chicago has a city-wide Stay-At-Home Order starting today. Most of the signs were proclaiming it at the bus stops and Ogilvie Transportation Center.

The Loop had fewer people than I've ever seen walking from work on Lasalle (only a few blocks) to the train station this evening. They didn't say anything about work being closed on Monday however.

Although I did have a funny thought. I'm a temp working at Northern Trust in Chicago, and it occurred to me that if I walked into a bank wearing a mask this time last year, security would have been all over me.
    Now if you walk into a bank without a mask they get all over you.

7. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Funny, I've thought about the whole mask and bank think from the start. I imagine there are some identifying features of the face above the nose and mouth however.

B.C. has issued a mandate that masks will be mandatory in all indoor public spaces in British Columbia. I think it's a relief to retailers who've had to deal with covidiots arguing their rights to not wear a mask.

8. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    I'm just thinking of the irony the company hired me to image and prepare laptops so their workers can stay at home, as a result I'm now leaving home and going in to work.

Masks have been mandatory in Illinois since March. @Blackthorne TA , thanks for the tip about tying string to the mask. It makes it so much more comfortable when it's not hurting my ears.

9. Dice

Media:
    Bta gave you a tip about tying masks? This world no longer makes sense to me.

10. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    It's in this thread, a quote is at the top of this page and the actual tip is on page 3.

Dice likes this.
  11. WickedPrince Gems: 9/31

Yeah we're going back into hard lockdown to some extent; restaurants that had just reopened to indoor diners now closed etc. Our state governor HAD previously pretty much said "wear a mask if you want to; but you should" and now is pushing harder for everybody to do so as the number of new cases skyrockets.

I generally dress a kind of hybrid between black leather jacket and engineer boots punker and black-hat cowboy; the mask I've been wearing is a black bandana with Anarchy symbols printed onto it. I've commented several times that wearing the mask makes me feel like a wild-west bank-robber and gotten a few laughs. Mostly nobody says anything though.

12. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Happy to help! Glad it worked out for you. :)

13. Dice

Media:
    Both cool, and frightening to seniors.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
  14. WickedPrince Gems: 9/31

I am 58; if I scare them too bad. ;)

15. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    Well, COVID just struck a little close to home work for me.
    I'm a temp working in a cramped server room with 7 other people in fairly close quarters. When I came into work on Monday, two had called in sick. By midmorning one had reported that he tested positive. By 11:30 the second reported that he just got the results and it was also positive.
    They sent us all home within a half hour as a precaution and are quarantining the room (which is normally locked). I'm furloughed until the 10th and our boss put a quarantine notice on the door as we left. Fortunately it is the server room that is normally kept locked up. My boss also suggested we all get tested, since we had just been off for 4 days (Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday) and that might have been enough incubation time for the potential exposure.

So, I'm wondering since I've potentially been exposed, and I've just finished off the Thanksgiving leftovers, should I be self-quarantining myself? One of our biggest concerns has been that due to the cramped working conditions if one of us got it, all of us would, and perhaps the two the worst people to get it (the guy who is cleaning and disinfecting all the incoming laptops and handing them over to the rest of us and the guy we hand them over to for shipping once we [re-]image them for Windows 10. Since those two are the ones the rest of us have regular contact with and have to approach several times a day they are probably the worst) were the ones who tested positive.

God I hope I didn't get infected. We've all been wearing masks and taking precautions, but given the close quarters and the need to push up your mask to blow your nose (the job is in The Loop and when I come in from the cold I always need to blow my nose, and I'm taking the train to work so I have to walk half a mile from OTC to there) or just take a sip of water from my bottle, it's possible.

The ironic thing? They are giving all the workers they can laptops so they can work from home because of COVID, and I'm a temp preparing those laptops. This job was supposed to be an anti-COVID measure, and as far as I could tell they were taking all reasonable precautions aside from sticking us in an overcrowded room. Oh, there would be plenty of room if it were not for the tables full of laptops being imaged taking up all the space. Nominally we are staying 6 feet apart, aside from when we need to move around when a laptop is finished and it's time to steralize it again, pack it, ship it, and get a new laptop to work on. Then it's cramped quarters.

16. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Self quarantine would seem like the sensible thing to do, yes. Although that wouldn't help your mother, I'm afraid.

It's funny that they should have plenty of room, what with many people working from home, but then they stick you in a relatively small room anyway.

I hope you didn't catch anything, Slick.

17. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

I guess you should do a test. This is when you want to know if you have the virus or not. Good to know for you and for the people in your neighbourhood. Maybe a second test to be sure a couple of days later. And when you test positive you stay at home, if you test negative (maybe two times) you can go where you want to go. And else, lock yourself up, most likely you will have mild symptoms (most likely). Play games, read books, whatch movies... Take care, hopefully you test negative!

18. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    I did a test when I got off the train as the testing center is literally next door to the Arlington Park train station in the parking lot for Arlington Park Racetrack (the are sorta one complex even though Metra is unaffiliated with the track. I actually had to walk over half a mile because Arlington Park is so big, 1/2 mile by 3/4 of a mile. It's easier to understand if you use Google Maps and look at the satellite view, the testing center is in the SW parking lot west of the track itself, while the train station is in the north yet you have to walk along Wilkie to get from the train to the testing), in fact there is a sign as you go into the parking lot at the train station that says "COVID 19 testing please use Euclid entrance instead".
    I was just thinking it might be too soon for a test. On the other hand, my last contact with the people who tested positive were on Wednesday, and I had the test on Monday. Was that too soon? They gave me the one that takes several days because it was cheaper and more accurate and I had no symptoms.

19. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

After 5 days after contact with an infected person the test should be able to tell if you are positive or not. You could do another test to be sure... or just be a bit careful and test when you get symptoms.

20. WickedPrince Gems: 9/31

I hope you are ok. I've done a huge amount of temp work myself over the years and I know it's a big pain when you can't work; because you then don't have an income. The whole setup sounds
    goofy to me; they are trying to protect their full-time employees by hiring some temps that they can put into danger. And since they don't pay YOU health benefits if you get it they aren't out a dime.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.