1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Covid-19 Restrictions

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Sorvo, Apr 28, 2020.

1. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    Well, it had been too hot or rainy up until yesterday, and I spent that doing yardwork. I imagine places were packed however since it was a Saturday and the first day with good weather since they started this partial opening.
    I know that Woodfield Mall opened last week and it was front page news that they had to turn people away because it was as packed as the week before Christmas, if not more packed than on Christmas Eve or Black Friday.

2. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I'm getting a haircut on Wednesday. First one in about three months. I guess I should shave my quarantine beard before then.:geezer:

3. Sorvo

Sorvo Where's the nearest pub? Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    I missed out, my girlfriend went to our local pub and she said there weren't that many people. I was expecting a wait so I declined, I don't do lines anymore :beer:

4. Tarrasque

Tarrasque Whoever said Paladins had to be charismatic? ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Lucky. Haircuts are still banned here. I’ve resorted to buying clippers which should arrive today. Last time I tried to cut my own hair I ended up with a mullet so I’m not exactly optimistic.

5. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    Haircuts were allowed last week in Illinois, err, it's Sunday so a week from last Friday. I took my bike to the barber shop to see if they had a sign on when they were re-opening, and it turned out they had just opened that day. First haircut I'd had since February.

6. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    It's interesting. The protocol is that I need to call when I arrive (before entering the space) so that they can take my temperature. They apparently take the temperature of everyone working there twice a day.

Not sure how that would help with someone who was actually asymptomatic, as, by definition, they would not have a fever, but I appreciate the efforts.

I feel like I'm back in the late '70's, early '80's, with my hair in a "big" sort of way.

My son looks a bit like Art Garfunkel. Big blond fro.

7. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    It's been about a month since I could get a haircut again. I was on the verge of buying a head shaver before they announced that barber shops would be opening again.

8. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Just shave it. So much easier... and think of all the savings.... no more shampoo, conditioner, combs/brushes.

9. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Well, I wouldn't go with a complete shave probably, I'd leave a few milimeters. I don't think I have the courage to find out what my head looks like bald. :shake:

10. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    WHO now says COVID-19 spread by asymptomatic individuals is very rare. Take that for what it's worth given WHO's early BS.

11. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Heh. One day later and the same woman from WHO is backtracking on what she said, now saying that there's not enough available data to get a clear picture. Seems like WHO has ruined its credibility with this SARS virus.

12. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Ich dien ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    You do know that you are supposed to hit the ball with your racket and not your hands during play, do you? ^^

And most people have a couple of balls with them when at the tennis court - but even if not, the risk to obtain CORONA from touching something with an uninjured hand (not with a wound of course) with intact skin is so unlikely to get someone infected that it is negligible.

13. Tarrasque

Tarrasque Whoever said Paladins had to be charismatic? ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Assuming of course they aren’t touching their face before they’ve washed their hands of course.

14. Taluntain

Media:
    Uh, coronavirus won't infect you through cuts. It can enter your body via your mouth, nose and eyes, which in a sports setting is far more likely since you're wiping sweat, dust etc. off your face and touching it consciously and subconsciously and aren't likely to wash your hands while playing.

15. dmc

Media:
    The rules here (whether they are followed or not is another thing) is that each person playing tennis brings his or her own tennis balls and marks them with initials and you only handle the balls with your initials. No interpersonal touching (handshakes or high fives, etc.).

Masks at all times except during play, bring your own water, towels, etc.

Seems to be striking as much of a balance as possible while allowing tennis to be played.

No doubles.

16. Taluntain

Media:
    That sounds sensible. But yea, it always comes down to whether people actually respect the restrictions or not.

17. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    There is also the fact that back in high school my gym teacher once got his glasses shattered from a stray ball from the tennis court while he was talking to somebody on another court, and I recall another time we played tennis in gym the guy next to me got a black eye from a bad return from the next court over. He was watching our ball, not the one in play on the court to the left.
    These incidents took place in different years of high school. Different gym classes, which were mandatory for all four years.

18. dmc

Media:
    Heh. The courts where I play (or will play once I am fully cleared for that given I had ACL reconstruction in February) are generally separated by chain link fences. There are a couple of courts that are not, so you could conceivably get hit by a stray ball there.

19. Taluntain

Media:
    Covid hit, right in the mouth... nose... eye. :shake:

20. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    I thought that having courts side-by-side enclosed in a single common cage was common. Maybe that is only for the NW suburbs.
    There are two sets of six tennis courts side-by-side at my high school, enclosed in a cage with fence between each set of six.
    https://www.google.com/maps/place/R...5aa56c909eb022!8m2!3d42.0648774!4d-88.0157534
    Pioneer Park has a similar arrangement with two sets of two side by side.
    https://goo.gl/maps/zGcprniimSwEAKpG9
    So does Voltz Park (they consider it a "playground" have a bunch of courts surrounded by a single cage, but no cages between individual courts.
    https://www.google.com/maps/place/V...7f8463ec982528!8m2!3d42.0859893!4d-87.9950778

Recreation Park has three side-by-side
    https://goo.gl/maps/99asis1vTSJb8MRA8

Those are the courts I'm most familiar with, although I don't play tennis and haven't held a racket since high school, unless a badminton racket counts, as I recall being talked into participating in a game at my mother's cousin's house when my second cousin graduated from college and the entire family was at the graduation party. Even then, I can count the number of badminton games I've played in the 21st century on the fingers of one hand (and I suck).

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.