1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Game locks up, giving me a "not responding" error

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale (Classic)' started by Tim, May 6, 2020.

1. Tim Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I recently retired and am in lock-down due to this pandemic. While rearranging my basement, I found a box of game CDs that my son left behind when he moved out, including IWD and HOW. No instructions, no boxes, nothing. Before tossing it out I decided to Google it and found that it had good reviews and a large following. So, I decided to play it and found a bunch of good stuff - manuals, party creation guides, walk throughs, patches and cheat codes. I was all set. I installed IWD, HOW and Trials of the Luremaster and started playing it about 6-8 weeks ago. Two weeks ago I started using the Ctr-R cheat, sorry!

My problem started last week. I tried to advance to Chapter 6 and the game locked up, giving me a "not responding" error. I am playing the game on a Win7/64 bit lap top with tons of speed and memory. At the time, all saved games loaded with no problem but I just could not advance. I then installed the game on a Win XP/32 bit desktop and managed to locate and transfer my saved games (and character data) to the XP. Same problem - saved games worked but the program stopped responding when I tried to advance to Chapter Six.

I went back to the Win 7 machine and tried using the cheat Advance to Area AR8001 and it did not work, not responding. I tried the next area, AR8002, and got there to meet a bunch of archers. I finished the level and when I tried to move to the next segment, it froze up, Not Responding. I have deleted the cache data and the temp already directory was empty. Now, none of the saved games will load.

So now I am at the point where I am going to have to reinstall. Do I install to the default directory or try a new directory? Should I not install TOTL and go with the patch 1.42? or maybe I should start over and import my characters? This would be a last resort

I have located a copy of IWD, HOW and IWD II on Amazon and bought it. It is arriving on Monday. I am also interested IWD Enhanced Edition. I can get it from GOG but I have never bought a game online like this and do not understand what is to happen here. Is this a download or play online? there is no phone number for me to talk to anyone.

So, I would appreciate any thoughts on how to proceed. I really do like this RPG and would definitely like to finish it.

Sorry for the long post,

Tim

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    GOG is a digital game store, you download the games that you purchase from them, yes. It's very similar to Steam, in case you're familiar with that. The whole process is pretty straightforward but we can always help you with anything if you encounter any problems. GOG also has their own support staff, though it's likely all via e-mail or their own forums.

Someone might be able to help you with the specific problem you mentioned here, but if not, IWD:EE is the version of the game to get now, especially for players who don't want to deal with various mods to get the most out of the game.

3. Tim Gems: 1/31

I have a feeling that getting the old game back to working is not going to happen. I suspect that one of my saves is corrupted and is carrying forward. However, I am not a programmer and do not really know. I suspect I am going to uninstall/reinstall on the Win 7 machine. If no luck I will try doing the install from the program that I bought from Amazon.

I do intend to buy IWD:EE which I think also comes with the original complete IWD. I saw that somewhere on a post from 2014 so not sure that it is still available. One way or the other I will have entertainment for the rest of this lock-down.

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    The EEs do come with the original versions of the game, but the whole point of buying the EEs is to play the EE versions, not the original ones. :shake: The EEs contain all the original content, along with various improvements, so they are the preferred and only officially supported versions of the games at this point. For any new players, when EE is an option, don't even bother with anything else. Which isn't to say that the EEs don't have their own sets of issues and bugs, but overall, I would say that they're still the better option today than tinkering with the 20-year-old originals.

5. Verdadero_Foe Gems: 1/31

Media:
    Maybe the data of your 8001 area is damaged. I cand send you a working copy if you want (give me an email in "code" so the internet bot's don't get it). Nowadays, there are no option for purchase the original games digitally, in GOG, you need to buy the EE and then a code for download the original is given. Wait for a sale and buy it if you want.

6. Tim Gems: 1/31

It was my intention to buy the EE version as soon as I finished the original game. You two have convinced me to go ahead and order it now. I will likely do it this weekend but I need to hard wire my lap top for a 2.5 gig download and need to get some instructions from GOG on how this will work.

I still intend to finish the game that I started, if I can. I have invested 8 weeks in it already and I normally like to finish what I start.

If you have a working copy that you can send, my e-mail address is timoniumATcomcastDOTnet. That would be much appreciated. Rain the last few days has stopped me from doing yard work and without the game I have been climbing the walls. This lock down is ruining me. :mad:

7. Verdadero_Foe Gems: 1/31

Media:
    Ok, I sent you the files. I hope it works. That area is hard compared to the rest of the game because of the sentries.

8. Taluntain

Media:
    If you go to GOG via one of the GOG buttons/links on SP (like on top of this page, or this link), SP gets a small commission, just FYI. You'll be guided through the whole process on GOG, no worries.

9. Tim Gems: 1/31

Verdadero_Foe - Yes, I received the e-mail and included files, thank you very. They worked, but only on my XP desk top. My copy of the IWD-HOW on the Win 7 laptop is toast, none of the saved games will load. I did install the files you sent, but no change. The XP loaded fine and the last saved game came up fine and I entered the cave to get to Chapter Six and got in. So, one way or the other I will be able to finish the game I started and I now also know that the game can be made playable. Thanks again.

I will continue to work on the laptop and will uninstall and reinstall and then add the files, since I know that it will work that way. Being able to use the laptop in the living room is important to family harmony. Playing the game while in the basement will be detrimental to my health.

Taluntain - I will use the link to order the EE version. However, I forgot that it is Mothers Day this Sunday, so I do not think I will be doing much with the games this weekend.

I am really glad I joined the group. Thanks for all the help.

10. Taluntain

Media:
    No problem. Btw, you need to keep the "@" in front of a username in a post for the username tagging alerts to work. E.g. @Tim ;)

With @ in front of a username, autocomplete also kicks in and displays the list of usernames starting with the characters you are typing in, so you can then just click and pick the correct name from the list. The names also get linked automatically.

11. Tim Gems: 1/31

Taluntain likes this.
  12. Tim Gems: 1/31

I finished my run through IWD-HOW-TOTL about a week ago. Took me almost three month of almost steady playing of 4+ hours per day. Pretty neat RPG that kept me busy during this lock-down. I have exported my characters in anticipation of doing another run through, probably some time this winter. In the meantime I have now bought (through the link that was supplied in a post above) IWD EE and have created my party based on the experience I have gained. However, I am trying to activate the cheat console using information that I gotten off of the internet but no luck. I have located the baldur.lua file and have modified according to two different sets of instructions and neither is working. Is there a difference between the GOG and the steam versions of the game? any idea what I am doing wrong or how I should be doing it. Thanks in advance. Tim

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.