1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The Big Hello (Again) Thread

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by Taluntain, Nov 1, 2005.

1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
  2. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Gotta have something else than beer in your shopping bags here in Poland, or you actually risk paying a huge fine here in Poland.

The police have the usual ticketing authority, though they are now more likely to give you the upper limit compared to the usual half or less, but they also have the discretionary power to alert the epidemiological authorities, who in turn have the discretionary power to impose fines completely out of touch with the average income level (or even double or triple the average), basically for even being outside without what they would agree was a good enough reason. Essentially, they get to decide whether your groceries were essential enough, whether you really needed a walk for your mental well-being and other such judgment calls, the risk being on you — and in thousands of euros. Hence many people are too intimidated to leave due to this arbitrariness, which may well be the intended, though unconstitutional effect.

So I'm not going to avoid buying beer while out shopping for groceries or even my way somewhere clearly essential, but I would be hesitant to just go grab some beer, unless very close to my home (which is not usually where the best beer is at ;)).

AnalogProphet likes this.
  3. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Ich dien ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    You can´t buy beer in Poland without having bought a bottle of Wodka, too? ;)

Being german I see beer as a basic staple of nourishment, just like bread. One could say like liquid bread. :D

4. Tim Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Hi to the group. New member here and the first time I have participated in a forum/community like this. So not sure I am following the proper protocols so please excuse me if I misstep. I am here trying to find a fix for a problem that I ran into with IWD and my research has turned up some other issues.

Let me do a quick intro. I am a long time gamer, dating back to Atari 800 and Commodore 64, before moving on to PC DOS and Windows. I mostly play strategy games, those that I can stop and plan the next move before proceeding, such as war games, 4X, city builders and the like. I have also played simulations and love submarine games and I have also played RPGs - does anyone remember SSI's Krynn series? I do not do online gaming. Basically this was my hobby and I enjoyed doing it for years. However, it all came to a slow stop some 12-15 years ago due to family commitments but mostly due to work.

Fast forward to now. <snip>

(I've moved the actual game-related questions to a separate thread. -Tal)

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2020
  5. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    You're doing fine, I just moved the game-specific part of your post into a separate thread in our IWD Classic forum. :)

6. templarseeker Gems: 1/31

Greetings to the group! Been downloading stuffs from Sorcerer's Place for quite a while now. Things mostly from Icewind Dale and Heart of Winter. However I didn't realize that they had their own forums!? Should have register sooner lol!

Anyways I've been playing Baldur's Gate And Icewind Dale for the longest time and its one of my favorite games of all time! Although I mostly keep to myself and seldom participate on any forums/communities in the net. I think now is the time to explore new horizons!

Pleasant to make your acquaintance and apologies in advance for any grammatical errors or misspellings. English is not my first language...

Hmm.. I have a question, how to do you add a photo for your avatar?

Taluntain likes this.
  7. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    templarseeker likes this.
  8. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Hi templarseeker, nice to meet you. There's people from all over the world here, so don't worry about grammar and spelling so much :) We even have people in the chat sometimes, so feel free to join in even if you want to talk about nothing.

9. templarseeker Gems: 1/31

Thank you so much for the warm welcome! Really appreciated it!
    I'll be sure to visit the chat whenever I'm around! Ah where's the best place to discuss about Icewind Dale 2 and Baldur's Gate 2 or other games in general.

Please give me some direction :)?

10. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Generally, if you want to discuss games like IWD2 or BG2, where we have dedicated forums, you can start a thread or respond to one in those forums.

11. templarseeker Gems: 1/31

Alright then, Thanks for the info!

12. Generic Imp

Generic Imp Kinda majestic, huh?

Hi everyone! I played the games back in the day and I'm an ancient lurker. Still trying to work out how to get my picture/avatar going.

13. Dice

Media:
    Hi Generic Imp! Welcome back, nice to see you out of the shadows.

Generic Imp likes this.
  14. Generic Imp

Hi and thanks for the warm welcome.

Dice likes this.
  15. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Welcome Generic Imp!

Generic Imp likes this.
  16. Generic Imp

Hi and thanks! How are you doing?

17. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

Oh hi (again). So this was the proper place to report I'm back.... a bit :-) Don't imagine I'll be for only 1% as active as I used to be... how did I ever get so many messages here?! Those days are gone. Job, kids, responsibilities blablabla. It's only due to corona that I have time to play some games again... and post something here :-)

18. dmc

Media:
    Welcome back then, for as much as you want to participate.

19. Dice

Media:
    WB Headbanger. Our chat has been reasonably busy lately, feel free to drop by periodically.

20. Osserc Gems: 1/31

Hello everybody,

I hope you are all doing fine.
    A short while ago somebody pointed me to sorcerers.net to help me with a problem I had in my Baldurs Gate trilogy run, so that's how I learned about this place. Took me some time to notice that there is a forum as well.

Looking forward to getting to know this community. :)

xosmi and Taluntain like this.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.