1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

New here and a question about solo vs. party XP

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition' started by Wolfker, Apr 25, 2020.

1. Wolfker Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Well hi to every one, i am kevin from chile, sorry for my bad english, i use to have the original neverwinter with the cd and thats stuff when i was young (10 years) now with 22 in steam i see the enchanted edition and i bought inmediatly, its one of my favorites games, and i want to know something about the companions that you meet in the game, when you add they to your party, they reduce the amount of experience that you win in the fights? Or is the same thing? I want to know because id the first is truth i will go solo with my character, i started with a explorar and iam lvl3 xD well take care everyone.

2. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    As far as I remember, your party members don't influence your xp gain. I don't think they even have their own xp progress, rather, they just are the same level as you. If I remember correctly, it's been a while.

Wolfker likes this.
  3. Tarrasque

Tarrasque Whoever said Paladins had to be charismatic? ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

The XP is reduced by the number of associates and other players you have in the party. (Associates includes animal companions, familiars, henchmen, summoned creatures and dominated creatures.) Exact penalty is XP * 4/(3+party size).

Wolfker likes this.
  4. Wolfker Gems: 1/31

Woow so is truth, ty for the info bro and and for the two answers, so if i want to lvl up hard my character then i go solo, the only thing that i need is the lock picking of the first companion that apear in the first temple:(

5. xosmi Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    Keep in mind that the XP loss is kind of balanced, since the game will also spawn more enemies per encounter when you are running in a party vs. solo.
    If playing the OC from start to finish a player with a party vs a solo player won't have much more then 1 level between them at the end of the campaign.

Wolfker likes this.
  6. Wolfker Gems: 1/31

Mh so its viable go with a party of two members (including my character) no? Because that you are saying the diference of party and solo es 1 lvl only no?

7. xosmi Gems: 20/31

Media:
    Yeah, this should be fine. Keep in mind that summons and familiars also count toward party size when the game decides the XP penalty - something to keep in mind if you plan on using those.

Wolfker likes this.
  8. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I did not realise that the party members have an effect on the xp you gain, interesting. On the other hand, I played through HotU many times, and I can't remember it making a lot of difference if I went solo or with a party. Neither in difficulty, nor in my character's level at the end.

Haven't played the OC more than twice, though.

Wolfker likes this.
  9. Wolfker Gems: 1/31

Well actually i al ready finish the first chapter with a Warrior x6 / Barbarian x2 (8 levels in total so i have the chance to pick a companion again, and the sumons are no problem because iam only strenght jajaja do you recomend me start a campaing again with something diferent? Like a sorcerer, druid or picaro?

10. xosmi Gems: 20/31

Media:
    Just play what you like tbh, the original campaign isn't that hard so you should be able to finish it with almost anything.
    If going fighter i'd pick up some levels in weapon master over barbarian, but whatever floats your boat.
    If you're looking for something that makes sense for the story, a cleric or paladin is probably the way to go.

Since you won't be hitting epic levels during the original campaign as it has a level cap of 20, i find this a good place to look for builds : https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/nwnecbguild/preepic-level-20-builds-f6/

Wolfker likes this.
  11. henkie

Media:
    Yeah, just play what you like. I prefer melee oriented characters in general, and especially in NWN it just plays easier, so your fighter / barbarian sounds fine. I think I had a build like that too, at some point. Or multiple. Probably once with weapon master, though if you're not speccing specifically for a weapon master from the start, it will likely take you quite some time before you can get there now.

Otherwise, you could try to get as much of the rage abilities as possible, though I think when I did such a build, I had a barbarian mixed with a few levels of bard, then went with red dragon disciple to be able to meet the strength requirements for some of those rage abilities, because they require a lot of strength.

But like I said, just play with what you like, it doesn't matter if it's not optimal, as long as you're having fun.

Although, after the first time, just start with HotU, it's a lot more fun, and you get to start at level 15.

Wolfker likes this.
  12. Verdadero_Foe Gems: 1/31

Media:
    Hi Kevin or Wolfker. I always thougth that summons and familiar stealing XP was not that good, because these are the mage abilities, like a fighter get +2 damage perk, or a rogue get more sneak attack damage. I have played the game several times and the level difference for only the character and the character with companion and summons is not that great. The experience enemies give is based on the challenge rating, so the only way to increase the final level is to edit the modules and make the monsters stronger (or increase the challenge rating alone), or add more enemies.

The main campaign gets easy because you will get too much good lot. I have played others players modules with low magic level (less magic items, and not strong ones) and some "easy" enemies are pretty strong (basic ogre, grey ripper).

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.