1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Christmas Lights Time!

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by Taluntain, Dec 2, 2012.

1. Keneth Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    And I remember when you were a drunken old man. I guess the more things change, the more they stay the same. :p

2. Sorvo

Sorvo Where's the nearest pub? Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    True That Biatch! :p My woman says you know me well :beer:

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    This year especially we could all use some Christmas cheer, so I've put the lights up a bit early. ;)

xosmi and Generic Imp like this.
  4. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

Good idea, people here are starting early with Christmas lights as well. I never understand why they normally start late and remove the lights shortly after new years eve. They don't have a lot to do with Christmas and are great during the dark days so let's start on november the 1st and remove them on the 1st of march for example.

5. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Ich dien ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Many of them have a connection only to christmas and are way overboard. Illuminated raindeers drawing a sled with a redrobed Coke Santa in the small garden before the house? Argh. Could do without those.

Or those lights that people put around their windows that change colour in turns - red, green, white, red.... The whole street feels like living near a brothel with flashing red advertising signs...

Everything else that is a bit more decent I can live with and I let my own stuff, once I did the work getting everything out of boxes and decorated, stay out until "Maria Lichtmeß" (2nd February).

6. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    Traditionally in America the Christmas season started the day after Thanksgiving where you would use the day off to go Christmas Shopping and then put up the tree and lights over the weekend.
    However, retail stores have been trying to push Christmas earlier and earlier, to the point that they have practically eliminated Thanksgiving decorations because it is only profitable for the grocery stores. We now go from Halloween to Christmas, and sometimes they even put up the Christmas Crapola before Halloween.
    Sorry, but when they start in October you get so sick of Christmas music and decorations by the time the real Christmas rolls around that it loses the magic.

Sorry, I miss it when you'd see the Thanksgiving decorations with pilgrims, Indians, turkeys, cornucopia (though I have never seen a real cornucopia, only depictions of one). They haven't really been popular since the 1980's, since the stores are all rushing to get to the Christmas Buying Season.
    This gets to be less of a joke each year.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2021
    ConjurerDragon likes this.
  7. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
  8. Sorvo

Sorvo Where's the nearest pub? Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Hey, Just like the flurries I had to deal with yesterday, hope it's not a bad winter! :beer: Oh yeah, nice how it trickles into the chat :thumb:

Taluntain likes this.
  9. Dreamweaver

Dreamweaver Life is complicated, just deal with it

Let it snow ! Lol it's nice as long as I don't have to drive

Taluntain likes this.
  10. Taluntain

Media:
    It's that time of year again...

11. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Ich dien ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Yesterday it started snowing here. Softly a bit in the morning while I was at work - an when I returned home I had 10 centimetres of new snow before my garage.
    Not 10 cm length of snow like the years before - no, 10 cm HIGH snow on the entire garage street... If the weather stays snowy ´til christmas it would be a christmasmiracle :pope:

12. Sorvo

Media:
    That's funny, We had our first snow fall today. They really fucked up the forecast because it was supposed to switch to rain bye noon. Never happened till after dark, Must be nice to have a job that you can be wrong all the time! :beer:

13. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    It was rainy all day today, and it was supposed to turn to snow, but I haven't looked outside since it got dark.
    Your post just prompted me to look, and there's a dusting of snow here in the suburbs of Chicago too.
    First snow this winter as well, unless you count the sleet last week that didn't accumulate.

14. Sorvo

Media:
    Sounds like a possible BIG one next week but they don't know if it will be snow or rain yet. Then again do they ever? :beer:

15. Taluntain

Media:
    This has been one crazy year for me with the floods and the aftermath of that -- still dealing with the last of the cleanup and getting the walls painted so that I can wrap it all up before Christmas. So the lights and snow are late this year (as everything else I'm dealing with), but better late than never!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.