1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines

Discussion in 'Playground' started by dmc, Oct 30, 2018.

1. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    So, I picked this up from GOG at some point (not exactly sure when) and it had been sitting there in my virtual library, staring at me accusingly, as if it were saying "So, you only play D&D based computer fantasy role playing games, huh, punk? Care to take a crack at something different? Huh? Do you feel lucky punk? Well, do you?"

Of course, it was saying that with a Clint Eastwood sounding voice and was more than a little threatening, but, what the heck, I downloaded it anyway.

I am quite enjoying this game. I am sure I am (obviously) very late to this party, but it's got a nice little system going, the character generation and advancement is relatively intuitive, and it's also got a good gritty feel to it. I have no idea how long it goes, but I have only recently gone through Hollywood, so there's at least one more major town area to hit, and I feel like I am beginning to get some interesting hints to the story.

Sure, the graphics are outdated, but I don't care. I seem to remember that some people on here talked about liking it, and I have to say I agree with them. It's fun.

Taluntain likes this.
  2. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I also got it from GoG, but still need to play it. Bloodlines was pretty infamous for being buggy, did you notice this already?

3. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I have had exactly one crash-to-desktop to date and have not noticed anything else that you could call a bug.

4. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I just remember seeing a (screenshot) Let's Play of Bloodlines, that used some unofficial patch, but, like I said, I haven't played it myself yet.

5. dmc

Media:
    According to something I looked up after seeing your post, the GOG version has some sort of unofficial patch applied to it already.

6. dmc

Media:
    To put a cap on this, I played it through three times, using different clans (they have different strengths and weaknesses but, except for the Malkavian, which I describe below, nothing earth-shatteringly different). The game was certainly good and worth an extra play-through after the first go-round, as I missed a bunch of stuff in my headlong rush to be true to my perceived character. I probably would not have done it a third time except that the description for the Malkavian clan was that they were all insane and I could not pass that up. That made for a very interesting run-through as the vast majority of conversations were changed into mad ramblings. Kinda fun though. Under NO CIRCUMSTANCES should that be your first character.

I'd certainly recommend the game. No major bugs at all with the patch that it came with.

7. Keneth Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    That's good to know. I might bump it up my backlog.

8. henkie

Media:
    I might as well. Also, I hope the Malkavian dialogue is like the Malkavian mod for Deus Ex.

9. henkie

Media:
    Just played through Bloodlines as well, I really enjoyed it. If you choose to play it that way, there is really very little combat in the first few chapters, almost everything can be solved by talking it out. Which is nice. Unfortunately, this may lead you to think that you can just boost your speech skills and manage throughout the game.

But in the later half, it really starts to get pretty combat heavy. Which is not that bad, but not that good, either. Definitely not the main strength of this game. But, it's also possible to just sneak past a lot of the combat, if you boosted the right stats and skills, which really helps.

Now I'm playing as a Malkavian, which makes the dialog different and interesting. All games should have a Malkavian mode, really.

10. dmc

Media:
    Right, but could you imagine playing a Malkavian as your first character?

On the combat front, it definitely is not the strength of the game, but it's not tooooooo clunky.

11. henkie

Media:
    That would be confusing, yes. Interesting, but confusing. But it really does add to replay value. And it's just a lot of fun.

As for combat, it's not too bad, though I don't look forward to some of those boss fights with the Malkavian. At least the Toreador I played with the first time had Celerity, which is good for avoiding damage, or if you have a clan that has fortitude, which is great for tanking damage. But the Malkavians don't have something with such a direct combat application, so I wonder how survivable I'll be in the boss fights. I'll find out, I'm sure.

12. henkie

Media:
    Another reason the Malkavians are good for a second or third playthrough: In their madness, they can occasionally see the future, and if you've played through the game already, you might catch it, though it's probably too obscure to notice on a first play through.

13. henkie

Media:
    Finished the Malkavian run through and really enjoyed it. There's really some gold in the dialog with Malkavians.

"No-one expects the Malkavian inquisition.''

14. dmc

Media:
    Glad to hear it. Some of the conversations were just surreal.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.