1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Bard Pickpocket Skill back to 15% at max level

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by doggoplex, Sep 27, 2019.

1. doggoplex Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Hi, quick question. I've recently got my laptop fixed and on a whim bought, installed and played BG Complete, from GoG - it includes the original/classic version of BG + ToTSC. All went well, except...

By the end of the game, with everyone in the party at max level, I noticed my Bard's pickpocket skill kind of rolled back or went over the limit and crossed over to 0, then 15%. In other words, there was a steady increase per level until it (I forget the exact percentage), but at max level, it went from something like 80% to 15%.

Sure, I don't really need to pickpocket much of anything at the endgame but it's still weird.

Is this a bug? I don't have any mods installed, btw.

2. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Ich dien ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    The maximum in most old games is 255. More and you go around and start with 0 again due to an integer overflow. As far as i remember you could e.g. not have more than 255 colonists in Colonization.

In the original BG+TOSC the maximum pickpocket skill (without racial bonus and boni from equipment) was 100 as far as I remember.

With TOSC the Experience cap is 161000 XP,
    https://baldursgate.fandom.com/wiki/Experience_Tables
    so your Bard could be no more than 10th level which would mean that his Pickpocket skill would be 85
    https://baldursgate.fandom.com/wiki/Bard
    plus racial bonus plus dexterity bonus.

My guess would be that at 9th level and pickpocket of 80 as a Bard you gained a level that took your pickpocket to 85 but with the addition of the racial, dexterity and perhaps equipment bonus you went over the limit.

Is your bard wearing equipment that enhances pickpocket or his dexterity? If so try to unequip that and perhaps your pickpocket score returns to the normal range again.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2019
  3. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    That would be a weird form of overflow, though. I mean, it definitely seems like overflow, the way it wraps around, but if it's integers, and the value is defined by a byte, it should overflow at 255, not at 85 or 100. You'd have to do something special to make it work that way. Then again, games are typically full of hacks and weird programming, so maybe it's just one of those quirks.

4. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    It could be an oversight on the table. I have played a bard, but only after installing Baldurdash and/or the G3 tweaks and G3 Fixpack.
    I'd recommend you download Infinity Explorer and look at SKILLBRD.2DA. If the table doesn't extend as far as your current Bard level, then it will default to 0 and that 15% comes from your DEX and any other bonuses rather than any skill points.
    I just took a peak at my own file, and it's been extended to level 20 with levels 16-20 at 99%.
    I have no idea which mod did it. I don't even recall what's installed at the moment and it's certainly NOT 100% vanilla.
    I do recall a bug like this that was addressed with something, probably Baldurdash.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.