1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

An Assertion failed / Error initiating key table error

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by Marauth, Sep 7, 2019.

1. Marauth Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Hi Folks! I'm quite new to this forum and actually new to forums in general but I'm hoping someone here may be able to help me please!
    I have found a way to run BG/TOSC on my windows 10 machine by going into Legacy settings and turning them on including the direct play.
    It worked really well and have cleared most sections of the map and was heading to Ulgoth's Beard. I was loading the game (used Disc 6 - the rest was a full install) when I got an error message and cannot find a way to fix it.

This is the Error message:

An Assertion failed in D:\Dev\chitin\Chitin.cpp at line number 1376
    Programmer says : Error initiating key table, bad key file

Can anyone give me any tips on how to fix this please? I'm not the most tech-savvy but can follow instructions!
    Thanks in advance!
    Marauth

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2019
  2. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    It's possible that the setting for CD6 in Baldur.ini (and check the virtual store too ) is messed up, or if you are using an actual CD instead of a real one that the CD is damaged and it cannot read something.

3. Marauth Gems: 1/31

Hiya, it is an original CD that came with the box. I was lucky and bought the combo box with the original game and TOSC in one from Game (I think? Can't remember to be fair as it was years ago! Lol! ). It worked fine on my old machine (Windows 7) but when that went pop I bought a new laptop etc. Do you think the CD itself might be damaged?

4. Marauth Gems: 1/31

I've saved the save file which should have where I have gotten up to and then shredded all of the files. Now re-installing the whole game to see if this sorts it out! Fingers crossed! :)

--

Whoop-whoop! Got it working again and picked up where I left off too!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2019
  5. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    I don't know about the combo version, but there was no copy protection of any kind on the 5-CD version without ToTSC, and it was over five years before I got ToTSC.
    However, none of my IE games are copy protected, and I haven't used my original CDs in over ten years. I always use a backup. Heck, I converted to DVD using the backups.
    Not all are the original backups either, A couple of the CDs wound up getting knocked or dropped on the floor on a couple of occasions, and then when I moved my chair to try to find where it rolled I heard a crunching noise.
    Hence why I always try to find a crack for my games when they require the disc (and disk before that) to be inserted and are copy protected and why I hate copy protection with a passion.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.