1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Shopping quests - How many stores before it's a quest?

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by SlickRCBD, Aug 30, 2019.

?

How many stores do you have to visit before it becomes a quest?

Poll closed Aug 30, 2020.
  1. more than one (2+ stores visited)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. more than two (3+ stores visited)

50.0%
  3. more than three (4+ stores visited)

50.0%
  4. moe than four (5+ stores visited)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    My mother was just relating her problem finding a replacement fan for her screened-in porch. She had bought what was labeled an "indoor/outdoor" fan, but the person installing it said it wasn't really an outdoor fan and would probably fail after the first big thunderstorm got it soaked. He had more work, and said he'd install a fan the next day if she could find a replacement.
    Except that no stores seem to carry true outdoor fans anymore.
    She couldn't order online because she needed it NOW.
    She told me about how she visited 7 stores before finding an outdoor fan suitable.
    I call that a Quest.

Personally, whenever I have to find an item, usually a replacement part and have to visit more than 2-3 stores, I call it a quest.

This is almost always for something I have an immediate need for so I cannot afford to wait around for mail order/online orders. Often a replacement part for a repair project or home improvement project, usually when something unforeseen goes wrong in the middle of said project, or something vital like a faucet needs the part. However, as my mom's case indicates, this is not always the case. Sometimes you just need something by the next day and it turns out to be harder to find than expected (like the time we were searching for bottles of ginger ale and all we could find were cans or 2-liters. We needed something portable with a resealable top, can't recall exactly why.)

Given how this site is made up of gamers, I have to ask, how many stores would you say you need to visit before calling your search for an item a Quest?

2. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Ich dien ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    If there are no Imps stealing my rations, no Orcs trying to waylay me, no fay trying to make me lose my way, no level 10 merchants in league with Asmodeus trying to get me to sacrifice a newborn child for the quest item it certainly is no quest but a simple shopping spree.

However just to ask because of the ambiguity of english -
    porch = Veranda,
    when you write fan do you mean
    a fan (as in a ventilator that looks like a propellor) or
    a fan (as in some egyptian harem slave waiving large palmtree twigs)?

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I would assume something like this:

[​IMG]

4. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2019
  5. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Ah, it didn't make sense to me how a thunderstorm could soak a ceiling fan that's under a roof so I imagined it had to be wall-mounted...

6. Keneth Gems: 29/31

★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    7 stores isn't a quest, it's an adventure.

Taluntain likes this.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.