1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Would this party based on 80s DnD cartoon work?

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition' started by claudius, Jul 1, 2019.

1. claudius Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Veteran

I was thinking of trying an IWDEE party based on the 80s DnD cartoon (you can find on youtube)...

I haven't planned out stats and weapon proficiencies exactly but it's as tight as I can manage based on the cartoon with the result that it's not the typical parties you see. For example no cleric and only one spell caster. I'm wondering if it can play decent at moderate difficulty?

1 "Hank"
    Ranger
    kit Archer

2 "Bobby"
    Fighter
    kit Barbarian

3 "Presto"
    Mage
    kit Wild Mage

4 "Sheila"
    Thief
    Shadowdancer

Comment: These first four fit the cartoon well. Aside from not having their magical weapons do fancy stuff. The next two are Eric "Cavalier" and he doesn't exactly fit because he never attacks just he has a magical shield that can block stuff. And then Diana is an "Acrobat" and uses a quarterstaff. I thought monk but those can't use quarterstaffs and the central feature is acrobatics and quarterstaff. Other options I thought are Kensai and Swashbuckler and I choose Kensai

5 "Eric"
    Paladin
    Cavalier

6 "Diana"
    Fighter
    Kensai - Quarterstaffs

So will be a strange party with 3 melee 1 shadow dancer 1 Archer and 1 Wild Mage. I might try to find portraits appropriate to the DnD cartoon. And role play as 'the good guys'. Perhaps they are stuck in Ice Wind Dale and looking for a way home back to the 80s on Earth.

2. xosmi Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    Sure, you can make this work - the lack of a cleric will sting since that locks you out of divine spells; Paladins only start getting access to it at lvl 9, and even then only ever get spell slots up to the 4th level.
    Personally i like bringing two mages, but as long as you have at least one that's fine - having them be a wild mage is definitely gonna be wacky, so that fits the theme.

here's a pretty nice portrait you could use for hank :
    [​IMG]

claudius likes this.
  3. claudius Gems: 5/31

Veteran

That's a nice portrait. Yeah I don't know how it will play out. I played IWD long time ago and needed lots of "kill zone" tactics and never finished but that doesn't mean a melee heavy party can't play it just won't have as much stacking spell crap to do the job. As I'll be on medium difficulty or lower should be OK. Diana and Hank should become killer machines. I think the wild mage should be fun (first for me) and should be fine as I always play a party with unlimited "power word reloads"

Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
  4. claudius Gems: 5/31

Veteran

So far going ok. Had a tough fight in Dragon Eye 2 because of the Talona priests casting hold person. Eventually I had mage cast protection evil on two characters (Diana and Himself) to hope for saves versus hold. Then he cast haste and we all rushed the priests first. Eric also cast prot evil on himself while Bobby raged to be immune to hold. Hank had some acid and fire arrows to help take down trolls. A couple of characters got mauled badly and 2 still were held if I recall but took down the priests and then just had to use some run away tactics for wounded characters and enough fire power to take down trolls.

Eric is level 7 Paladin(Cavalier) and wields a +3 Mace bought on the cheap in Kuldahar
    Bobby is level 7 Fighter (Barbarian) and hasn't found/bought a club but dual wields bastard sword and sometimes weapons he not even proficient in.
    Diana is level 7 Fighter (Kensai) and wields a mundane quarter staff or a magic bone sheaf (or something) +5 Thaco dagger.
    Shiela is level 8 Thief (Shadowdancer) and wields a scimitar +2 with the luck effect
    Presto is level 7 Wild Mage and wields darts/slings
    Hank is level 7 Ranger (Archer) and wields a simple composite longbow

The entrance to Dragon Eye 3 was also challenging. Bobby and Diana hit hard but not a high AC.

5. phills Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Media:
    As a big fan of the 80s cartoon, I tried the same thing (with exactly the same classes), and it worked out great.

The hard part is not having a cleric. But Hank (archer) and Diana (kensai) do a ton of damage, and Diana can hide in the second row since quarterstaff is a reach weapon. So with giving Bobby a shield (a slight roleplaying violation) and Eric having great AC, you can actually get by with those 2 doing mostly the tanking, and then just potion healing.

claudius likes this.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.