1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Can I take both stronghold quests?

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate 2: Enhanced Edition' started by lilith21, Jun 20, 2019.

1. lilith21 Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

My main character is a rogue/Wizard. I took the thieves guild quest to own my own guildhouse. After reading through the BG 2 Versus perfect guide I realized the items from taking the planar sphere would be much better and more useful for my main character...If I took the Thieves guild quest and then used Valygar to complete the planar sphere quest, (after going to the council of 6 building with valygar and taking to the wizard and having him teleport out) then heading for the sphere and completing the quest, is this doable? Can I take both quests and still finish one of them? Or am I forfeit the planar sphere rewards because I took the shadow thief quest from Renal first? Some feedback please.....:-)

2. Yulaw9460 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran

Media:
    From what I remember, you can't have multiple strongholds in the EE version.

3. lilith21 Gems: 5/31

Yes I know that...err didn't really know but figured. I took the thief guild quest and I haven't taken the planar sphere quest yet but I want the planar sphere as my stronghold (better rewards that way) (in my opinion). My question is can I take both quests at the same time, but complete the second one (in my case the planar sphere quest) and claim the sphere as my own (even though I took the thief guildhouse quest first)? OR do both quests and select one (the planar sphere) as my own stronghold? I'm just going to do the plNr sphere quest before I do the mae'var and thieves guild quest. I just hope that even though I took the thief quest first, I'll be able to complete the sphere quest and claim it as my stronghold (With outstanding rewards for wizard class!!).

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
  4. Yoshimo's Heart Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

When you say you are taking the thieves guild quests do you mean that you actually got the stronghold or are just doing quests that eventually give you the option to take the thief stronghold? If you have not been asked to be given the stronghold you can still say no and take the mage stronghold instead.

5. lilith21 Gems: 5/31

Yes I accepted the Thieves quest but I haven't started it. I'm going to do the Planar sphere quest today sometime but the sphere stronghold is where my heart is. I'll go to Umar Hills and get valygar then to the council of six and start Planar sphere quest later and if I can (because I did accept the thief quest) take the sphere as my Stronghold.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
  6. Yoshimo's Heart Gems: 13/31

Veteran

When you say you accepted the thieves quest have you accepted the quest to spy on Maevar or have you already dealt with that quest already?

7. lilith21 Gems: 5/31

I took the quest to spy on Mae'var that's all. I haven't started it because I don't want anything to interfere with getting the Sphere as my stronghold. (The reason why is because I saved an earlier part of the game when I got keldorn. I vaguely remember him leaving my party because I wouldn't do the Cult of the Unseeing eye quest for a long time. Then he left. I think this was BG 2 CD-rom. (years back). The past few days I've been playing into chapter 2 and getting about 20 000 gold and getting everyone to almost level 10 or 11. That save with Keldorn was before all of the stuff I've accomplished the past few days so I can go back to it if I want...but why the hell would I if I can still get the planar sphere as my base? That tactic is last resort hehe. (the Keldorn save) oh and have to do all the stuff I've completed over again....

--

Spy on Mae'var, kill off Mae'var, same thing. Basically what I'm trying to say is I don't want to forfeit the Sphere as my stronghold because I took both the thief and wizard stronghold quests. I took the Thieves quest first...from Renal Bloodscalp. Later I'll go get Valygar and do the Planar sphere quest. I'll wait to attempt anything with the thief quest until after I finish the planar sphere. The thieves quest is completely untouched by my party as of yet....

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2019
  8. Yoshimo's Heart Gems: 13/31

Veteran

As I recall (someone speak up if I am wrong) you can do the quest to spy on Maevar and you will be offered the stronghold at the end but you can decline it if you want. The Planar Sphere quest is one of the harder quests in the early going (The cult of the unseeing eye is fairly tough too unless you have some specific items that make it much easier) so that would be the only reason why you might want to do the Maevar quest first (though if you are experienced you may have no issues with the Planar quest and can go right ahead).

9. Vhailor

Vhailor Justice is not blind, for I am her eyes Veteran

10. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    If you don't mod to do multiple strongholds, there is an option in the dialogue that allows you to refuse the thieves stronghold. I believe that you can refuse all of them if you want and they are offered (either by mod or by character class matching with the stronghold).

11. lilith21 Gems: 5/31

Yes...I did both quests. I said I did'nt want the Thieves guild as my stronghold and I took the planar sphere and ruined my Ring of Wizardry quest. The Cluebook did'nt mention anything about how it works. My fault though, i should've waited to hear more replies about it (the sphere stronghold quests).

12. Yoshimo's Heart Gems: 13/31

Veteran

Well if it helps as I recall you can get a ring of wizardry from an enemy mage when doing Jaheria's quest with the Harpers (but a really late quest not the one you do when you first go to the dock district).

13. Swiss Knife Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

You can start all the quests and do them up to the point where you are offered the stronghold as a reward. Only at that point there is a check that looks whether you already have a stronghold and if yes, you won't get another offer. If your other quest line is still open or you have refused that stronghold then you get an offer.
    The failing of the apprentice quest has nothing to do with any other quest or stronghold.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.