1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The Fall of Bill Cosby

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Taluntain, Apr 28, 2018.

1. Keneth Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    Where does it say he was giving the victims pills under false pretense? I mean, it's a fair assumption, but I don't see anything concrete backing it up. Maybe I missed it.

2. raggidman Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

HMM ... evidence mounts in this forum at least

little niggles: given word from a public official is binding, there is only burden of proof thereafter

if Cosby lied about using a drug to escape prosection from a more serious offence that's standard

lawyers often become judges or politicians - 'law' has been made a dirty business anyways and practicing it allows 'professioals' to get away with murder all over the world:

"steal a little and they send you to jail, steal a lot and they make you king" - bobo the dylan ;)

3. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Not just this forum.

Didn't a juror recently give an interview where he flat out said that deposition was the persuasive tipping point for him?

4. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    Yes, I just head that on a podcast. If I was the defense I would try to get the release of the supposedly sealed deposition thrown out, and cause for a retrial. Of course, I would also doubt that they would ever be able to find a jury at this point who could be impartial.

5. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    My understanding was the Cosby claimed to by giving Benadryl. (Obviously, not his claim at trial as his did not testify, but that's what many of the victims said he said - Benadryl or something similarly innocuous as opposed to a quaalude or other significantly stronger drug).

6. AD&D_Fan Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I never picked any of that up. It was a shame really... when I was a kid, Bill Cosby was the dad by which all dads were to be judged. He always had the right things to say to his kids to keep them motivated, and to encourage them when they were down. Always seemed to keep his wits about him when the kids did something stupid, or did something that was edgy.

Totally never expected any of that. I mean, he was acting, and it was all scripted. I'm not sure there was really anything you could have seen as a viewer. Not saying your wrong... but I think most people felt as I did.

7. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Ich dien ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Actors act on stage. His performance in a TV series has as much to do with his private personality or honesty as Hannibal Lector with Sir Anthony Hopkins. :evil:

And that is exactly something I´d expect from the people at Salem. She must be a witch, I always privately thought so and now someone else accuses her of being a witch so I must have been right from the start... :doh:

You have been thinking of him as a sleazy guy since your childhood - for his acting in a TV series - and think you find your suspicion confirmed by the accusations and then state that you make it a point not to judge anyone based on appearance...? :good:

Not at all. I found it despicable that an 80years old guy who turned blind could still be dragged to court for something that - at the time - allegedly happened at least 15 years ago (some even longer ago). Not that they were searching for him for 15 years like Dr. Kimble on the run, but obviously nowadays people do not report crimes to the police when they happen anymore, but only decades later when an opportunity arises to form a mob.

8. Sorvo

Sorvo Where's the nearest pub? Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    I totally agree, he might have done it but say it when it happens, This is all about the $!

9. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    There were people who did say it when it happened. They were not believed.

The statute of limitation on the one he was accused of was long enough so that he could still be prosecuted.

I honestly don't understand the sympathy for a scumbag that used his monetary power, fake good reputation and pull to avoid being nailed for a ton of crimes. So he finally gets nailed - that's a good thing, not a bad thing.

10. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Ich dien ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Excellent! No, really. Noone should go to jail because someone only says something happened. In dubio pro reo has been the cornerstone of justice in most countries.

If a court trial comes down to: "we have no evidence but the judge believes the accusations" then I would say that any sort of religion, faith or believe has no place in court.

There is almost always some evidence - if the victim immediately goes to secure those (e.g. visit a doctor who can check for DNA-evidence, or remains of the drug in the blood or urine). Even on the dress of Monica Lewinsky was evidence against Bill Clinton found a long time after it happened.

It is a bad thing for the system of justice and even for the women themselves.

If someone really is a criminal you go to the police or state attorney and present all evidence without any delay, so that any crime reported could be examined, searched for evidence, alibis and nothing fades away or is lost.
    Not doing so does enable a real criminal to commit further crimes, because the victim(s) before remained idle. You wrote that you think he should be nailed for a ton of crimes that he evaded - had all those been reported and examined in due time, instead of 15 or more years after they happened, then some of the alleged victims may not have had to become victims. And even if the first one or two woman would not have been believed and no hard evidence been found - the trials even if unsuccessfull would have been known by the police and the court in case the 3rd or 4th accusation happens and make them search more thoroughly.

Punishment from a court trial in part is meant not only to punish the criminal, but to deter possible future criminals from commiting crimes by showing them that there is a good chance to be caught and jailed - here all we see is someone in court, 15 years and more too late (and in case of another stage at court perhaps not even jailtime as I think that I read that his attorney considers to attempt to repeal the courts decision).

11. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    If you believe that Cosby is innocent and that the accusations against him are all a baseless witch hunt, obviously the court's decisions won't change your mind either. I had a seemingly isolated gut feeling about him from the get go for years that they've corroborated, however.

No, that's your own narrative. I said that his mannerisms, which may or may not have all been an act (Cosby wasn't a master of thousand roles like Anthony Hopkins), seemed more or less sleazy to me. I didn't find my gut feeling validated only by the accusations, but also by the court of law.

I find it bizarre that you seem to believe that because he's now old and half-blind that he should be left in peace to enjoy his retirement regardless of his crimes. The fact that he finally got prosecuted, even if only for a small portion of his crimes, is something that will perhaps give other young women courage to speak up sooner and more likely be believed in similar cases going forward.

I recommend that you read about Larry Nassar and connect the dots between the two cases. Unless you also believe that the nearly 400 minors abused there only have themselves to blame for not speaking up earlier and/or were only in it for the money too.

dmc likes this.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.