1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Dual-Class

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition' started by Sorvo, Apr 8, 2019.

1. Sorvo

Sorvo Where's the nearest pub? Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Is it possible to dual class kits? Like a Barbarian into a Swashbuckler or vice versa?

2. Yulaw9460 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran

Media:
    Not in that particular combo, no. But kits can be dual classed. Kensai into Thief and the like. However, you can't dual class into a kit, like a Fighter into a Swashbuckler.

3. Sorvo

Sorvo Where's the nearest pub? Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    I see, thanx :beer: On that note, What do you think the best kit to common is the most powerful? (If this has been done, delete it please)

4. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Depends on your play style, frankly. If you think that mages are the most powerful class, then starting with something like a berserker for 7 or 9 levels (for either the extra half attack or the extra half attack plus an extra proficiency point) and then dualling to mage (where the lack of kit is of no real consequence) can make for a super-powered character so long as you have enough XP to reactivate the berserker early enough in the game (i.e., either a solo run-through or maybe with 3 or less characters).

That gets you a wizard with the ability to also be fairly effective in combat plus the immunities that the berskerker can give for special encounters. You can wear the robe of vecna and other casting beneficial items or you can lean towards combat with some elven chain. You can also swap kensai for berserker for similar results (I am just more partial to the berserker than the kensai, but both have merit).

If that's not your fav, and if you are looking at this from the perspective of not doing a dual-class character where a multi-class would be clearly superior (i.e., a ranger cleric dual is IMO clearly and markedly inferior to a R/C multi), then I really think that's about it and you would be better off doing a multi-class. Frankly, I am not sure that the dual I put above is any better than a generic F/M multi, but I can see arguments for it.

Of course, you can have your cake and eat it too by doing a multi-class and then using shadowkeeper to apply the kit to the class you most want (i.e., a fighter/assassin multi can be fun, or the bersker/mage multi, which is clearly better than the dual but would require work and cheating with shadowkeeper).

YMMV.

5. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    As far as dualling goes, I find a F/T or F/C strictly better than a straight thief or cleric. For both classes you can dual as late as F lvl 13, and still have enough xp to reach lvl 39 in thief or cleric, provided you can reach the level cap. For a mage it's a bit more dubious, but 7-9 lvls of fighter make you a lot more capable outside of slinging spells (i.e. using a bow or some such), while not costing much in the way of time lost or lagging behind in lvls or spell development.

It's possible to give a dual class (or multi class) a kit on the second class, but only if you don't have a kit on the first class (you can only have one kit on a character). But you'll have to use shadowkeeper to give it to yourself, and it may be tricky to get all the abilities of that second class's kit. I've made a F/Assassin dual that way, and it might have been a bit too powerful. Though a lot of fun for a solo.

6. Sorvo

Media:
    Was gonna start a new thread but I'm sure this will do. If I dual class a swashbuckler/thief into a Ranger do you still get the 2 points in dual-wield from the Ranger from the creation of the new class?

7. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I'm not sure, actually, because I'd usually dual from a fighter/ranger to something else. I'm pretty sure a ranger can only dual to a cleric, though.

Also, the one way a dualled ranger/cleric is better than a multi: More high level spells for the cleric.

8. Yulaw9460 Gems: 9/31

Media:
    Ranger -> Cleric or reverse. There are no other dual class options for Rangers.

9. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Yeah, @Sorvo , remember that BG2 is based on 2e, which was a heck of a lot more restrictive in crossing classes.

10. Sorvo

Media:
    Crap! That blew that whole idea out of the water :( I heard many good things about the Ranger/Cleric, maybe I'll try it out :beer:

11. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
  12. Sorvo

Media:
    That character does look bad ass but why 2 points in war hammer when you have him using the mace?

13. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    He used a War Hammer during BG1, so that's how he starts off when he begins in the Irenicus Dungeon. I add the points to Mace afterwards.

14. Sorvo

Media:
    What made you choose war hammer in BG? Is there a special one, I'm only familiar with the swords :beer:

15. Beren

Media:
    Partly because of early availability, the Ashideena warhammer carried by that crazy cleric named Bassilus southwest of Beregost.

Then there's that warhammer that is effectively a +4 Warhammer given by the Dwarf at Ulgoth's Beard after you kill the cult demon.

16. Yulaw9460 Gems: 9/31

Media:
    It's also easy to roll very decent scores for a Ranger/Cleric, too. Even 3-digit totals. I had one with a total of 103, that I of course never got around to playing. Not that it is the defining feature of the class, just sayin'. But the character sheet has a certain divine sheen to it with so many 18's. :p

17. Beren

Media:
    I didn't roll that. That's from collecting those stat raising Tomes during BG1. :p

18. Yulaw9460 Gems: 9/31

Media:
    Oh no. I get that. I figure that the Cleric/Ranger I rolled would have been through the roof as well, had I played her through BG to ToB.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.