1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Ring of Gaxx from BG2 conversion to NwN2?

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights 2' started by Eyebreaker7, Apr 5, 2019.

1. Eyebreaker7

Eyebreaker7 Someone clean my litter box ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    How would you go about creating the Ring of Gaxx for Neverwinter Nights 2?
    It seems pretty straight forward with the exception of +10% MR. How would that convert to SR in NwN2? Would you just make it the lowest possible (10)? The game goes from 10 up to 40 gaining by increments of 2 with the random number 19 thrown in there also. lol. Not sure why that is but it's there.
    Also the regen., would it be 1 or 3?
    The improved haste has to be just a normal haste spell. Unless I missed something in the "Cast spell" list? No "Greater haste" or anything that I saw. Just the option of level 5 or 10 so I guess 10?
    The 3.x spell "Spell Resistance" says "The creature gains spell resistance equal to 12 + your caster level."

Ring of Gaxx (Baldur's Gate 2 video game)

AC: +2
    Saves: +2
    MR: +10%
    immune to disease and poison
    regenerate 1 HP every 3 seconds
    invisibility – 1/day
    improved haste – 3/day

What I'm thinking is:
    AC +2
    Saves (universal) +2
    Spell resistance 12??? or should it be 10???
    Immunity to disease & poison
    regen 3??? or should it be 1???
    invisibility - 1/day
    haste (level 10) - 3/day???

2. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    Ring of Gaxx's regeneration is stronger than the Ring of Regeneration, so I'd go with the higher regen rate. It's regen rate is second only to the potion of regeneration.
    BG2 has several items that grant 5% magic resistance, so I'd make the SR in NWN2 at least a 12, if not higher like 14. This item is an Artifact, not just a mere wondrous item.
    I just checked the spell list, and was surprised by the absence of Improved Haste and Mass Haste. I guess you have to just use regular haste.
    I haven't played around with the toolset, if it is possible to make it not only cast Haste, but also when the duration ends cast remove fatigue, I would go with that. I know that is possible in the Infinity Engine games, but I don't know about the NWN2 toolset. I haven't done much with it at all as I've pretty much only edited 2DA files. My biggest thing was trying to give the Arcane Archer 1/2 spell progression like the Pale Master as I found the class seriously underpowered and lacking in the arcane.
    About the only other thing I did was a sort of implementation of the core of the "ease-of-use" mod from BG by increasing some item stacking for projectiles, potions, and gems.

3. Eyebreaker7

Eyebreaker7 Someone clean my litter box ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    There's a POTION of regen? In 3.x? Where can I find this item;s description?
    The regen rate options for NwN2 goes from 1-20

4. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    No, I was talking about the item in BG2.

5. Eyebreaker7

Media:
    The 3.x spell "Spell Resistance" says "The creature gains spell resistance equal to 12 + your caster level."
    You need to be a minimum of 7th level to cast it so the ring would have at least 19. But as SlickRCBD said, it IS an artifact. What "level" should I give it for determening things like this?

6. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    In that case, a minimum of 32, for a 20th level caster. That's low-balling it. It's an artifact. Probably more like 42, and could be an in-joke since Litches are often said to be dedicated ferreting out the secrets of the universe or arcane lore, and what better than the Answer to Life, the Universe, and Everything?

7. Eyebreaker7

Media:
    It is an artifact but it only gives a mere +10% in BG2.
    As for the regen, you say go with the higher? Did you mean the higher of the 2 I asked about (1 or 3)? It goes from 1-20 regen in the toolset? A normal ring of regeneration gives regeneration +4 in NwN2. There are other items you can get that also have regen. There's a belt that gives +8 regen as well as AC +4 and Will saves +4 to boot. That belt you can but for a ton of money near the begining of "Mask of the Betrayor".

8. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    In BG2, the Ring of Gaxx gives regeneration that is about twice as fast as the Ring of Regeneration and MUCH faster than the Ioun Stone.
    The problem with picking a Spell resistance level is that spell resistance works differently in NWN than in BG2.
    In BG2, if you have spell resistance, it doesn't matter what spell is cast at you, if it can be resisted you have a fixed, flat chance of resisting it.
    In NWN however, spell resistance is a weighted die roll against the spell's level and the caster's level.
    I was just going "Screw it, make it like casting the spell 'spell resistance'.". I still say making it 32 sounds reasonable for the artifact.
    My AD&D group broke up in 1997 when everybody but me went to a different place for college (and I was stuck going to community college for 2 years due to lack of money) which was before 3E was released, and our one attempt to "get the band back together" in 1998 was a failure due to scheduling conflicts. We never did the work in figuring out how to do 3E conversions. NWN2 is more of a 3.5E conversion.

It would be nice if somebody who actually did the work back in the day could chime in with advice on this.

9. Diacloud Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Magic Resistance is dealt differently in NWN2 than BG2, so I don't think you can convert Ring of Gaxx fully.

In BG2, MR is just a cumulative percentage regardless of opponent: 10% simply implies a flat 10% chance of resisting any spell. Doesn't matter if it's a cantrip cast by an apprentice, or a 9th level spell cast by epic archmagi, 10% is 10%.

However in NWN2, magic resistance is used against the caster level of the opponent. If the caster level + 1d20 result is smaller than the resistance, the the spell is resisted. A MR of 12 would mean 55% resistance against level 1 caster, but 0% against a level 11 caster. Also, in NWN2 magic resistance doesn't stack, only the highest number counts.

So I'd suggest you to consider when the ring of Gaxx would be available. If it'd be around LVL 15 for example, setting the magic resistance to 18-20 is roughly adding 10% chance to avoid the spell.

Every round is 6 seconds. Which implies the correct Regen value if translate directly for 1HP/3secs is 2/round.

However due to the fact HP works differently than in BG2 the 2/round doesn't seem all that powerful in NWN2. A level 30 barbarian with 18 con in BG2 and a near perfect roll, would have around 200 HP, and that's considered ALOT... While in NWN2, a pure wizard with 16 con would result in 210 so...

With all that said, since HP is roughly tripled in NWN2 compare to BG2, it'd only be sensible the Regen is tripled as well. A solid +6/round on Ring of Gaxx would seem fair.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2020
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.