1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Putting someone's soul in a statue and turning it into a gargoyle?

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by Eyebreaker7, Mar 26, 2019.

1. Eyebreaker7

Eyebreaker7 Someone clean my litter box ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    If you made a statue and put a dieing beings life force/soul in the gargoyle, what would you give him for a write up? Would you combine the dieing soul with the gargoyle templete? Or would you do different? If so, what and why?

I'm working on making a unique little gargoyle (pages 113-114 MM 3.5 edition) with the soul of a Jann (page 116 MM 3.5 edition)

The gargoyle statue is only 2 ft. tall and has no wings. I plan to give it other abilities also, like spider climb and other things. The spell-like abilities can be dispelled but he can just recast them.
    In the future the gargoyle form gets destroyed and the whole is turned into a sand golem. I'm not sure what sort of write up that's gonna be. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :tobattle:

Also if anyone has a write up of a werespider I would be very grateful. Preferably 3.5 but I'll take anything I can get. I have an older module packed somewhere that has one in it but I don't know where it's packed :doh:

2. xosmi Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
  3. Keneth Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    A were... spider? I can sort of get behind were-fish and were-reptiles, even though it should only really be mammals, but were-arachnids and were-insects would just be weird. They share virtually no biological traits with mammals, so barring some failed magical experiment that permanently alters a humanoid into something like an ettercap, how would that even work? :rolleyes:

Putting that absurdity aside, what kind of "write up" are you looking for? Just take the gargoyle, reduce its size, replace its mental stats with that of the janni, and give it whatever SLAs you deem appropriate. For anything more, you're going to have to provide more context. Is it supposed to be a combat encounter? A character? What CR are you aiming at? How is it supposed to interact with the party? Gonna need something more to go on.

4. Eyebreaker7

Eyebreaker7 Someone clean my litter box ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    A magical experiment sounds likely. I guess it would kinda be like turning a drow into a drider? Not sure how that happens. Does Loth do it herself or is there some special ritual for it?

5. Eyebreaker7

Media:
    Thanks for the link xosmi. Just now seeing it. Looks perfect for the werespider. They even mention it in the stat adjustments section. Thanks a ton!

--

As for a "write-up" keneth, I'm honestly not sure. Looking for ideas I guess. It would be for a PC so it would have to be relatively low-powerd to start (new PC) with possibly gaining some abilities with level?
    I think the Sand Golem part is the most confusing. How do you go about determening things like damage resistance without just saying "I want it to have it so it has it."?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2019
  6. Keneth Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    The "I want it, so it has it" philosophy is just fine, but it's offset by the level adjustment (or other drawbacks), which would be determined by the DM.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.