1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Game slowing to a stop

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by wyrmbash, Mar 3, 2019.

Tags:
  1. wyrmbash Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

just finishe imerydes run and the game getting bogged down suddenly. keep slowing to a stop and was even slowed when doing the battle when first arrived. started after picking up otis to help. any suggestions?

--

sorry forgot to mention patches were installed but nothing from Co8

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2019
  2. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Ich dien ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Nothing there ingame should slow the game down.
    Are you still running the game on a Windows 10 64bit machine? If you are not using Co8 try to run the game using the Windows 10 compatibility setting for Windows XP
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15078/windows-make-older-programs-compatible

Are you running the GOG or Anthology version of ToEE? If so you would have needed no patch
    https://co8.org/community/index.php?threads/circle-of-eight-modpack-installation-instructions.6695/

Are you running any programs in the background? If you do not actually need them disable them, e.g. Windows Indexing service or whatever it is named in Windows 10
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...ndows-10/8e8829d3-cad1-46d7-a523-2cc9d6ed646a

Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
  3. wyrmbash Gems: 1/31

running it in a win XP VM. i got the patches installed but the Co8 required java to install and i cant get the java to run in XP. the icon for Co8 starts then nothing happens. i also have a win 7. thinking maybe i would move it, i did imerydes run once already with no troubles but i started the game over so i could be more explorer and less hack/slashy. i also have the same problem om the character generation page where we roll for stats. its consistent there and happens every time but was manageable

4. ConjurerDragon

Media:
    A VM will always be slower than no VM and is usually not needed when your operating system has a compatibility mode for Windows XP.

5. wyrmbash Gems: 1/31

i use VM for a few reasons including security. but no one has had this issue? in general it has had any issues til this point and i have played imerydes run before with success. the problems just started and out of the blue. and from what i have studied about VM is they slow down if running more than one with too many shared resources or not enough memory. i run using server towers with tons of memoery and even have expansion room (useless for xp as it cap is much lower than what i have), no one has ran into this issue before?

6. ConjurerDragon

Media:
    If you did run the game before without problems and now have that problem the question is: What have you changed since then?

7. wyrmbash Gems: 1/31

characters. that is literally it

i keep my saves down to 10 saves but where is the saves folder. i have known games that accumulated saves even when you deleted them in the game

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2019
  8. ConjurerDragon

Media:
    For me saves are in
    Code:
    F:\Temple of Elemental Evil\modules\ToEE\Save
    also answered in the gaming guide for ToEE in point 1.6 here
    https://co8.org/community/index.php...le-of-eight-modpack-new-content-edition.8742/

If you are using Co8 note that you should have "autosave on mapchange" OFF as advised here in point 3:
    http://files.co8.org/docs/Circle of Eight Modpack 8.1.0 - Release Notes.txt

Edit: Why does the forum change the directory path on harddisk F: to something with a smily?

9. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Because : followed by \ inserts the :bad: smiley. You can use CODE tags to prevent this from happening.

10. Keneth Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    A more standard way to disable smilies and other formatting on XF is to use the plain tags, like [plain]C:\Games\ToEE[/plain] (double-wrapped for convenience). :shake:

11. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Ah yes, I always forget about that one. It's not included in the editor for some reason.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.