1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Kivan's Timer

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by Dranalis DeAealth, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Dranalis DeAealth

Dranalis DeAealth Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc Veteran

So, this is on the back of a discussion I had in another thread about EE fixing Kivan's quest for the bandit camp.

I don't think this was ever fixed for the original game though. I've started a patched TOTSC game with Baldurdash, Dudleyfixes and Unfinished Business. I've cleared out the bandit camp, I spoke to pretty much everyone in it including Tazok beforehand, cleared out Tazok's tent, took the scrolls in the chest, started the next chapter. The one thing I didn't do was fight Tazok, because that locked the game - I had no option to end dialog once Kivan had said his UB remark to Tazok.

And Kivan is STILL acting like I haven't done the camp when I try to drop him once we've got back to Beregost. ("You promised you would help me find the camp...")

This isn't game-breaking, but I like to shake my party up every now and then, and not being able to drop him is irritating. Is there anything I can add in global variables with Keeper? Or any kind of workaround. I assumed at least one of the 'restoration' fixes would have changed this, but apparently not!

Edit: Kivan has been in the party for six days 19 hours.

2. Dranalis DeAealth

So I did a bit of googling around on this. I added in FINDBANDITS as a global variable with keeper, and set it at 2.

.. And it seems like that's fixed it. Kivan is happy to be picked up, let go, picked up as much as possible, and doesn't give his little 'I need my quest completed' speech.

Weird issue. I'm not even sure what it is that governs this, whether it's a UB thing which wasn't triggered by my being unable to fight Tazok or not. Might go to an old save and test out things with Tazok and the variable.

3. Dranalis DeAealth

So, I loaded up an old save file just before I talked to Teven in Larswood. I can fight Tazok and progress, though I'm not given a button to progress things, just clicking around randomly eventually let me get out of the dialog. Kivan said his UB remark and Tazok left. I saved that as a test and looked in the variables - it seems like a FOUGHTTAZOK variable was added which wasn't there before and set at 1, and this has also seemingly finished Kivan's quest. He's happy to be dropped and signed up again without saying anything ominous.

Hope this all helps other people who might have had any of these issues!

4. wrangler Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I didn't have any problems with that. I used only Baldurdash 1.1 on top of TotSC. Dropped Kivan about 4 days later.

5. wrangler Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I forgot that I also ran the BG1TOSCGameTextUpdate11, don't know if that made a difference.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.