1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Copy/paste from Word to Xenoforo

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by SlickRCBD, Jan 4, 2019.

1. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    I just tried to copy something from a readme to post on a forum and the readme file was opened in Word.
    It inserted a bunch of extra newlines messing things up.
    This wasn't an issue on the old forum.
    I know it is a Xenoforo issue because I had the same issue with Sufficient Velocity last year.

Does anybody remember what the work-around was?
    I've tried but I can't find the post with the workaround, only me mentioning it.

Here's an example, from the readme file for NeverWinter Nights 2.
    Procedure used:
    1. Opened in Word 2003
    2. Highlight the system requirements
    3. Goto edit and select copy (originally used <CONTROL>-<C>)
    4. Click on the tab in Firefox
    5. type the QUOTE tag, then hit <CONTROL>-<V>
    This is what I got, where did all those extra newlines come from? How can I fix it without manually going in and removing them? I know there was a work-around for Sufficient Velocity and SpaceBattles, but I can't recall what it was. As the problem is identical here and all use the same Xenoforo code base, it should work here.

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I assume the readme is a text file and not a Word file? Don't use Word to open it. Use some simple text editor like Notepad or something.

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    On the far right side of the editor you have the buttons to remove formatting on (selected) text, as well as the toggle for the simple editor, which doesn't retain pasted formatting. Wrapping the text in CODE tags would likely work as well, though that could cause other formatting issues.

4. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    No, it's an RTF, which is why it opened in Word instead of Notepad++.
    It doesn't matter what format the file is in, what matters is that I copied it from Word 2003 and pasted it into a Xenoforo forum in Firefox. IIRC Word 2007 does the same.

Also in the standard editor it doesn't matter if I type [code] or not, the newlines get inserted when I hit <CONTROL>-<V> and are visible immediately. I then have to go through the pasted text and delete the extra newlines. Very annoying, it's like it adds an extra CR or LF (not sure which one) from stuff pasted from Word.
    I know there was a work-around, but I can't recall what it is or where I read it.
    It's not a big deal with a few lines, but if I'm posting something I typed up in Word that is 1,500 words long to post into a Spacebattles quest, it's a different story.

5. xosmi Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Media:
    Try pasting using Ctrl + Shift + V, iirc that's the shortcut to paste without formatting.

6. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    Looks like that worked, although I wonder why the formatting is adding extra newlines?

7. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Different tools use different end of line character strings, especially things like Word. For example, a typical end of line in Word might have a return, line feed and end of paragraph at the end of each line in the above, any of which might be interpreted by a different tool as a new line.

8. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    I thought Apple II and Macs used carriage returns (CR, ASCII code 13, ALT-013), Unix/Linux used line feeds (LF, ASCII code 10, ALT-010) and DOS/Windows used both CR followed by LF.
    I haven't kept up with Apple since the 21st century, they might have moved to LF with the switch to Mac OS X since it is supposed to be Unix-based.
    I don't know what Word does to differentiate an end of paragraph from an end of line. Although I do recall there was a special newline or two in Word, it's been ages since I used most of the advanced features like that. Plus, I learned about them with Office 97 back in 1998, I've forgotten at least half the features in Office and there are probably quite a few I never knew about.
    I haven't done much advanced stuff since I got my last degree back in 2011. Although a few years ago I had to re-learn how to do a table of contents with Office 360 (I don't own it). That's about it.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.