1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Ahh yes, new run in...

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Yulaw9460, Dec 23, 2018.

1. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

dmc likes this.
  2. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    LOL! Our phones were attached to the wall by cords! And they sucked because they twisted up, but we liked them, because it was better than Campbell Soup cans tied with string.

Taluntain likes this.
  3. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    Honestly, if it wasn't for the annoying random no-fault TPKs I probably would consider it a great game comparable to Bard's Tale or other Apple II RPGs as I'd make allowances for it being the first.

4. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Ultimate, Bard’s Tale, M&M...they all had some crazy element. It was great fun to figure it out and overcome. There was no internet and fifty websites to check every move you’re making is the right move. You played and talked about it at school with your friends. Then you went home and played some more the next day. Rinse, Repeat.

Cords... if you were lucky your phone had a 20 foot cord so maybe you could talk to your girlfriend in the other room without everyone in the family
    Listening. Even so, they heard every word and razzed you unmercifully...of course, you did the same to your siblings...

dmc likes this.
  5. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Heck, my brothers usually picked up another line in the house so that they could hear both sides of the conversation, not just what I was saying.

As for games, you also needed graph paper, because you needed to do the maps yourself. I still remember that I had a binder of what seemed like 50+ pages for the first might and magic game.

6. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Wasn't Wizardry the one with a pile of coins being a monster? Great game; I vaguely remember being happy when the coins showed up.

I think I still have a notebook somewhere with all the people you ran across and info they told you from Ultima 5 documented.

7. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    On our phones, it was impossible to pick up an extension without everyone else on the line hearing a distinctive clicking sound similar to when you hang up the phone. Which would lead to the person yelling at the eavesdropper to "Get off the phone!"

I think I only took 30-some pages of notes for either M&M I or II. With a couple of small 3X5 notepads.
    I've got them stored in the basement of mom's house.

That said, even the ones with automaps like Might and Magic II or Bard's Tale you needed to make your own ones because the automap only showed the location of walls and doors. Things like traps, stairs, teleporters, and other important locations would not show up on those early automaps so I'd have to reproduce it with graph paper and put all kinds of annotations and coordinates on it.

I've got a bunch of notepads or mini-spirals for just about all my old games.

I'm pretty sure several games had that, but yes, Wizardry had it. Most games however used a treasure chest monster called a mimic. I am drawing a blank however on what other games had a monster that looked like coins rather than a treasure chest. I know there was another.

dmc likes this.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.