1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Getting the expansions from NWN2 complete

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights 2' started by SlickRCBD, Jan 5, 2019.

1. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    I just purchased "Neverwinter Nights 2 Complete" from GoG. It came as one game.
    When I attempted to extract what I thought was a self-extracting archive, it instead installed the game and all the expansions on my newest computer as if it were just one game.

I've owned Neverwinter Nights 2 and Mask of the Betrayer for years and it is installed on a different computer running Windows 7. Is there an easy way to upgrade the game installed on my Windows 7 computer to include Storm of Zehir and Mysteries of Westgate + any additional content using the stuff from GoG without losing all my saves and a few custom mods? They have different product/CD keys, although come to think of it I was never given or asked for one when I installed to Windows 10 from GoG.

Alternately, is there any reason why I can't take that same download and install it on both computers after backing up the characters and saved games? They do claim "no DRM".

2. wrangler Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Why not, if it doesn't phone home?

You might first copy some saves from the Win7 computer to confim that they're compatible with the new install.

3. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I've had a NWN2 install (from GoG) on a harddisk from before I've had to upgrade my computer. Since I've not re-installed it since installing Windows, it's effectively like copying the installation to a new computer. It works, although when I just tried to change the resolution (I didn't put back the configuration settings), it kind of crapped out. So I'll probably re-install it anyway.

Just tried, and though the original NWN installation I have survived the migration to my previous PC without an issue, it doesn't seem to work anymore on this PC. Might be a Win10 issue, as well.

4. wrangler Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Copying program directory and files from an old hard drive often works, as long as there are no registry entries. Sometimes I've installed new, just to get the registry entries in there, and then replaced the directory and files with my old ones.

Way back when, we had to make entries in system.ini and win.ini files, and/or write custom config.sys and autoexec.bat files. It took work with big DOS games, trial and error with extended and expanded memory, etc. I just took a look in my Windows directory, and the system.ini and win.ini files are still present, with comments "for 16-bit app support". My 64-bit Win7 doesn't run 16-bit apps, and this machine has always been 64-bit.

5. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    The question is, does the GOG version phone home? It never asked me for the CD-key like my DVDs for NWN2 and MOTB did. So I wonder does it query the server to make sure I've got a valid version?
    I don't even HAVE a CD-key for NWN2 Complete.
    That's why I was posting.

6. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    It's GoG, it's not supposed to phone home, or ask for CD keys. It's supposed to be without DRM, so that's not too strange.

7. Keneth Gems: 29/31

★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    GOG games always come DRM-free, so that's completely normal. They also generally come in one package, so you can't simply download a single expansion.

That said, nothing prevents you from installing the GOG version on your Win7 system (uninstalling the old version first, of course). As for whether the saves and characters will still work depends on whether the game versions are close enough and what mods you have installed (if any). It's likely that they will be compatible, but like wrangler said, you can always try copying a save to the new system, check if it works and then install the game on the old one if all goes well.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.