1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Paladins Rock!

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Dudette, Apr 6, 2001.

1. Dudette Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

[​IMG] Paladins Rock! (now lets see how long it takes for shura to show up?) :D

2. Steppenwolf Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Dudette, you are The Dude. I couldn't agree with you more. Paladins rule the Forgotten Realms (Hey, Piergeiron rules Waterdeep!). I finished BG2 with an Inquisitor the first and third times I played. Armed with Carsomyr, no wizard no matter how well protected, could stand against him in spell battle. IMHO, Paladins are the best all-around class in the game, and may the Holy Order of the Radiant Heart pursue to the ends of the earth those with the audacity to claim otherwise.

[This message has been edited by Steppenwolf (edited April 07, 2001).]

3. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] This is my kind of thread! Paladins DO rock!

4. FenixStrife Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

in the 2nd edition rules I would have to agree with you, however in 3E the classes are much more balanced. Ive found that the most fun to play is a halfling or elf rogue with dex 20. They get all kinds of cool bonuses but if your playing with the point buy system, they arent all that good at straight on fighting. They take as much strategy to play with as a mage does. Overall though, the 3E rules make all classes very balanced.

5. Steppenwolf Gems: 3/31

I haven't read the 3rd Edition rules yet, but as long as Paladins, and Paladins alone, can wield Holy Avengers, they will continue to possess a significant advantage over the other classes.

6. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

DIE DIE DIE!
    :mad: :mad: :mad:
    Any Kensai/Mage can kick any Paladin's ass anytime, Carsomyr or not.
    :D :D

7. StormRider Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG] I have to say that Palidens are good. Depending on the addition. I played 2nd for so long and, yes, palidens are decent...but different from baldurs gate, I DM alighments Hard. Anyone who dosent play an alignment to the "T" gets an alignment change and therefor palidens, having to stay Lawful Good are hard to play. Playing P&P I find that Rangers are the better. They can be played as any good alignment, meaning CHAOTIC...good. Sorry about that. Now back to what I was saying. With their stealth, they can easily out match a paliden, assuming they are played right. but over all I think I have to agree that a Paliden in Baldurs Gate KICKS @$$!!!!!!!!!! :D

8. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    I feel forced to say that thiefs are still the most interesting and (with mages) usefull class in the game :D

However, I created a halfling cavalier (I won´t have any racist comments :D ) to match Mazzy and led him through Irenicus Dungeon yesterday night. I like him and he´s pretty good even now.

Though I created him from a power point of view (especially rescue-throws - lvl-8: 2/4/8/9/5 with helm of balduran) I didn´t put it to the max denying him the missile weapons where he could benefit from dex-19 by choosing the cavalier class. And I didn´t give him two-handed-swords either ;)

9. Igneous Gems: 6/31

Playing an inquisitor as the protagonist is not necesarry IMHO, because Keldorn with gaunts of dexterity is as good. And he gets a nice full plate +1 with free action and extra saving throws. You can use that protagonist spot for a cool monk or sorcerer, for which there are no NPC's available unfortunately. (maybe the developers thought that would be to powerfull, combining them together :D

And I agree completely, This good guy rocks, a shame there is no lawfull evil warrior in these rules (like the shadowknight in everquest)

10. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Igneous;

Check out: http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/BG2/index_editors.php

There is a custom kit for the fallen paladin. I haven't played it, but the kit is set up like the Death Knights from Dragon Lance.

IMHO - Lawful Good is the way to go. No guilt, the ladies love you, and the Holy Avenger kicks big time!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2017
  11. Igneous Gems: 6/31

Thanks Mathetais!

Those kits seem very interesting! And to list evil alignment as a disadvantage... They have no idea :D Now hope this fallen paladin / necromancer type can wield Carsomyr....

12. IronEagle Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

i dunno, i kinda liked my undead hunter/theif (this was a huge game error) and once i installed the patch i could no longer use this character with out crashing the game... anyway a undead hunter/theif makes paladins good, now if i could only play it again...

13. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I think that if a fallen paladin picked up Carsomyr, the sword would self destruct!

In my old P&P days, I ran across specs. on Excaliber. It was a +5 Holy Avenger of Sharpness (yes, it would sever a limb on a roll of 15 or better!). To make it better, anyone who picked it up was given a one-time chance to become a paladin. They would maintain their experience points, and be adjusted to the appropriate Paladin level.

Now THAT was a sword that rocked!

The only downsise was that if you tried to fight a troll with it, you ended up creating an army of little smurf-sized troll parts following you around!

They should throw a could items like that in a game!

14. Igneous Gems: 6/31

Mmmm, but I still gonna try ;)

A Question: I see people on these boards talking a lot about things like 3rd edition AD&D and P&P and that sort of things. What I can make up from that, is that it is some kind of board game with a big manual or something? You guys gather a lot to play these kind of games? I never knew anyone who plays it, except a classm8 who plays hammerfall or something with all those little painted and crafted figures...

15. Steppenwolf Gems: 3/31

Dungeons and Dragons isn't a board game, Igneous. Originally, it wasn't even meant to be played on the computer. It was meant to be played by a group of friends who would gather about once a week to role-play their heroes in a medieval fantasy world of magic and monsters.

A Dungeon Master is chosen as a referee. He/she is responsible for creating a campaign or quest for the players to complete within the established rules of the D&D world, found in the Dungeon Master's Guide, where most of the BG2 jargon you have probably been wondering about (ie. alignment restrictions, attacks/round, casting times etc.) are meticulously explained. These adventure campaigns (pre-written and sold as modules, or produced by the DM himself) can last for two weeks or two years, depending on the schedules of the people involved.

Don't be intimidated by the sheer amount of material you have to become familiar with. It is a rich and fascinating field (like auto-mechanics), complete with its own jargon and discourse. Some of the people in this board, myself included, have grown up with D&D and take for granted that rules such as "Thac0" are simple to understand. Keep reading, keep playing, and you'll eventually get the hang of it.

16. White Giant Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Stepenwolf - Magic Carpet Ride?

Anyways, Paladins rock for a Good aligned team. :)

17. Marek Gems: 3/31

Paladins Reek!

18. Igneous Gems: 6/31

Mmm, sounds good, a shame I don't know anyone near me who is doing this stuff....
    (and has the patience and time to teach me)

Anyone here lives near Amsterdam and would welcome a new member in their AD&D game? :D

19. Firestorm

Firestorm Beeep, Beeep, ERROR Veteran

Dont you mean Warhammer Igneous? that is a cool game and i can recommend it to anyone with an interest in fantasy

20. kevlar0101 Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I would like to have the ability to be a shadowknight in bg, way kewler than palladinz
    :D

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.