1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What can cause batteries to start leaking?

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by SlickRCBD, Dec 12, 2018.

1. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    Something seems to be causing the batteries in my bedroom/computer room to be going dead and start leaking acid. Back on November 26th, the battery in my clock/radio went dead. I haven't changed it in at least a year, so I wrote it off. Three days ago the battery in BOTH the TV remote and the VCR remote were dead and leaking acid. I haven't used the VCR in at least a month, so that one is excusable and I only checked on a hunch. Now the flashlight that I used last night has a dead battery that is leaking acid.
    All but the clock/radio and the VCR use AAA batteries.

Any idea what could be making them not only go dead, but start leaking? It seems odd they would all go dead at once.

Also the closet down the hall where the spare batteries are located had a bunch of dead 9Vs from the package I got from Costco two years ago. I also found one of the AAA batteries was leaking in the package and had to get the acid off the other batteries.

2. claudius Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Veteran

I am a chemistry student/graduate/tutor so I am curious too. I haven't had that happen. How long were they stored? Odd that all found like that at the same time roughly.
    https://www.consumerreports.org/batteries/whybatteriesleak/

This source says that the chemicals are kept in cases that can rupture because through cycle of a battery hydrogen gas is produced and eventually pressure of that gas can break the compartments.

The batteries in the computer are probably very different than the alkaline batteries the article is talking about but they are similarly chemical systems in compartments that drive electricity because in one compartment is spitting out electrons through a reaction (reduction agent) and other compartment accepting electrons (oxidizing agent). So the compartments aren't supposed to leak but maybe a gas could build pressure like with the alkaline batteries.

I've never had that happen.

3. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    If they weren't all doing that at practically the same time, I wouldn't bat an eye.
    Especially the one in the VCR remote, it's not that unusual for it to happen when a battery is left installed and not used for a prolonged length of time, and I haven't watched a VHS tape in a while. I only found it because I thought I should check all the batteries.

I'm not sure of the age of the AAA batteries as I was one short and I recycled the package on Tuesday, but the 9V batteries are set to expire in "JAN 19" so they have been around a while. There were only 4 left in the package and I threw out two of them, installed one in the clock/radio and I have one left.

What is weird is them not only dying all at once, but starting to leak acid. Usually that doesn't happen unless you leave dead batteries in place for a while because you aren't using the device. The flashlight I used earlier this week and the beam was still strong, not like it was dying. So what could have drained it?

About the only thing that's really changed is I bought a new Dell Inspiron mini-tower and added it to the room. I don't see how that could be draining the batteries surrounding it. Wouldn't that also affect the batteries in my older computers?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.