1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Pathfinder CRPG? (Kingmaker)

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Beren, Jun 14, 2011.

1. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Apparently Pathfinder has been doing pretty well in the PnP market, partly because 4e hasn't been doing as well as 3/3.5 (like I didn't see that one coming).

Anyway, I've love to see a crpg adaptation of Pathfinder, which I think is an improvement on 3.5 e. Not sure if it will ever happen though, cause it seems to depend on Pathfinder acquiring the same kind of notoriety as D&D or WoW.

2. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Your right, they need someone to put them on the map. You still see alot of D&D books on the shelves at a Barnes & Noble, but no Pathfinder or maybe one supplement. They need $$$$$ to push their product.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2011
  3. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Won`t happen. Its still a d&d product, and its licensed by Wizards of the coast. Crpgs based on d&d allways have to use the current ruleset. In this case 4th edition. Its a shame though. Pathfinder is quite ok, even though they kind of overdid it when modding the 3.5 rules. Its miles better than 4th ed though.

4. Darion

Darion Resident Dissident Veteran BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    No matter the Setting or Rule-set, it will no doubt end up a diablo clone....a bad one!

5. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

If that's true, it's a real shame. I would love to see some 3.5 engine in a game. Guess were stuck with only 3.0 ToEE then...

6. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

It is true. Icewind Dale 2 and Nwn came out when the 3.0 rules were the newest set. Then 3.5 came out and we got Nwn 2 and temple of elemental evil. Now 4th ed is the current, and we will be getting games like Daggerdale, and mmorpgs. Thats pretty much what 4ed is, really. WoW mixed with pokemon cards.

7. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Check it out Beren, a Pathfinder cRPG is coming out tomorrow on Steam :D

8. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I think it's already on GoG. Don't know how good of a game it is, but there should be some reviews around already.

9. Tassadar Gems: 23/31

Veteran

I'm playing it now, it's almost exactly like an infinity engine game :D

Also my whole party got wiped in the second fight against level 2 bandits lol

10. Keneth Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    It's a pretty decent game if you know what you're doing from the get go, although I think they've largely overestimated the amount of system knowledge most players will have. People are getting absolutely rekt at lower levels. That said, like the vast majority of modern games, it's incredibly poorly optimized and riddled with bugs. Probably gonna be worth playing in a year. :shake:

11. Tassadar Gems: 23/31

Veteran

It's worth starting a playthrough now. They've just dropped some massive patches that resolved over 1000 bugs hahaha. I've been playing since launch on the same playthrough (rerolled characters about 12 times) and minor bugs aside, haven't encountered anything gamebreaking yet. I think peeps here should really check it out, it's seriously very very good. I'd rate it better than Baldur's Gate 2 overall imo. I'm on 230+ hours atm, still haven't finished the game. Party is about level 14 only. Lots to do.

12. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    No one's gonna take you seriously if you say something silly like, "I'd rate it better than Baldur's Gate 2," about the worst PF adventure path with some extra RP elements. :shake:

13. Tassadar Gems: 23/31

Veteran

I think that's just nostalgia. BG2 was one of the the first truly great cRPGs, but had a lot of problems and an obtuse ruleset. Divinity OS2 blew it out of the water as a cRPG. Pathfinder brings back adventuring, which I feel BG2 lacked since all you did was spend most of your time in a city and skip through as many chapters as you could so you could get Imoen back asap. Also you can get a goblin party member in Pathfinder which immediately makes it awesome. :D

Taluntain likes this.
  14. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    Haven't played D:OS2 yet, but D:OS was somewhat underwhelming, experience-wise. I plan on playing the sequel sometime by the end of the year and I hope it's worth the price tag (even though I got it as a gift). I've played the tabletop version of Kingmaker and I sincerely doubt a bunch of indie devs could bring it anywhere close to BG2's level, even with Chris Avellone's help. Also, Pathfinder isn't all that much better than 2E AD&D as far as systems go. It's clunky and imbalanced and not particularly intuitive for new players.

That's not to say BG2 didn't have its fair share of issues. Frankly, it's barely in my top 5 RPGs, but it's still one of the best RPG experiences every conceived. And what's wrong with spending time in a city? How is it any less "adventurous" than crawling through forests or dungeons or volcanoes? I've spent entire campaigns in cities—literally years in real life and decades in-game. I sense a distinct smell of personal preference from your criticism. :p

15. Tassadar Gems: 23/31

Veteran

You just feel more immersed in the adventure in this game. As an example, in BG2 you click one button and rest. Camping in pathfinder is much more involved. You assign roles, assign rations and hunting, cooking, camouflage and set up sentries. The map is massive with weather effects that reflect the season you're in (in winter it snows, and your entire kingdom is covered in snow). If you're caught in a thunderstorm, the screen shakes with each clap of thunder, lightning strikes the earth and everyone moves at half speed. There's also the whole kingdom management part of the game, which is another huge thing in itself. I dunno, I like doing all this other stuff instead of just dungeon crawl. And did I mention goblin npc? :D :D

16. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    Some would argue that's unnecessary complexity where it's not needed and the effort could have been better spent on other parts of the system. And the kingdom management gets really boring, really fast. Or at least it did in tabletop.

17. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Have they fixed their balance issues? Most of the negative comments I have seen (aside from bug issues) were blasting game balance and talking about impossible fights. Breaks my immersion in a big way if I have to reload multiple times so that the almighty random number generator looks upon me with greater favor. Just sayin' . . .

18. Tassadar Gems: 23/31

Veteran

Seems fine if you play on normal difficulty. I didn't find it that hard, I think people forget how difficult the infinity engine games were because we've played them so much.

19. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Ich dien ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    There is no unncessary complexity in simulating an immersive world. The weather effects for example are what I liked very much already in the old Das Schwarze Auge - Schicksalsklinge. I think it was "Realms of Arkania - Blade of Destiny" in english. Try marching across a mountain pass in winter without proper protective gear like boots, warm clothing and some camping equipment and you suffer more than just a common cold... :eek:

20. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Some would call it immersive, others would call it unnecessary micro management. It depends on your preferences, I suppose. I tend to think realism in games is overrated. If I want realism, I have enough of that in day to day life.

I'd never made the connection between Das Schwarze Auge and Realms of Arkania, that's interesting.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.