1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Random Babbling Thread 120

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by dmc, Aug 4, 2015.

1. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I play tennis about three days a week. I am right handed, so the shoulder on that side doesn't bug me (had surgery there about 13 years ago and it seems to be holding pretty well).

The only tennis thing I do with my left is toss the ball to serve, and that motion doesn't bother me. Hurts when I wake up though, as I inevitably do something stupid in my sleep . . . .

2. Keneth Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    The tennis excuse is getting a bit old, innit? :shake:

There's one and the only time I look at it is while I'm still half-asleep. Besides, I've looked like a zombie since high-school, so there's that. :D

3. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    There is no tennis excuse. Tennis and bike riding are my main forms of exercise. The left shoulder hurts for reasons wholly unrelated to tennis - age and general use. If I didn't play tennis, I'd have a lot of additional physical problems related to being fat and out of shape which I presently do not have.

So there.

4. Sorvo

Sorvo Where's the nearest pub? Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    You gotta switch hands every once in awhile when you're trying to knock one out :p :beer:

5. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Dr. Sorvo to the rescue. :lol:

Anyway, would be nice to be able to do sports long-term without the almost inevitable injuries in the process.

6. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Biking and swimming is typically pretty injury free. And if I don't do at least some swimming, my shoulders tend to get injured. It seems I need the muscles to keep everything in place.

You might get some wear and tear from doing sports, but often not doing sports is much worse for your health.

7. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    Can confirm, sedentary life is the real killer. I've had far more health problems from sitting on my ass all day than I ever did in the ring.

8. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Playing most ball sports tend to give me some serious back pain, though. Back when I still played football, I'd have back pain after every match. All those abrupt changes in direction would typically cause one or two vertebrae to misallign. Hockey is even worse. And don't even get me started on tennis.

Biking and swimming are much less injury prone for me.

9. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I've had problems with my knees when I was biking regularly. Mostly sticking to varying gym routines over the last year has worked best for me so far, I have to say.

10. Sorvo

Sorvo Where's the nearest pub? Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    I find my 8 hour job and sex at least once a day keeps me going along pretty good :beer:

11. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    Cycling can certainly be intensive on the knees and some of your foot tendons if you overdo it and if you don't shift your gears appropriately (assuming it's not a fixie). I do upward of 150 km per week during dry seasons and I experience some pain and discomfort quite frequently, despite being in decent form. That said, it's a much better alternative to cardio activities such as running or intensive hiking if you're having knee problems. As far as recreation is concerned, anyway.

12. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
  13. Sorvo

Media:
    Moving the guest room around, looks like this is gonna take another day :|

14. Taluntain

Media:
    Who likes rain? We've got lots.

15. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Plenty to go around in BC. Or maybe not, given the thirsty forest we always have here?

16. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    Let it rain. I'm on vacation anyway.

17. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Ich dien ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Send it over here. The Rhine has reached a level of being low that it had not had for the last two decades in some regions.
    In my vicinity compare the average values ("Mittel in centimetres") to the current ones ("Aktuell in cm") in that table for Koblenz and Andernach:
    https://www.wetteronline.de/pegelstand/rhein

Shipping works only with half or even a third of the normal load which causes prices for fuel and oil to rise.
    The area to the left with the sand is normally below water:
    [​IMG]

And for the exciting part they have already found several relicts from WW2 in the currently dry parts of the Rhine, e.g. three "fogbarrels" (some toxic acid that was used in WW2 to create artificial fog) near Vallendar. Site with some photos
    https://www.rhein-zeitung.de/bilder...in-vallendar-_costart,1_mediagalid,10643.html

18. Taluntain

Media:
    Weird, Germany is relatively close to here so I imagined that it'd be the same there. Another full day of rain here.

19. henkie

Media:
    Eh, it's on the other side of the Alps, so I'd imagine the weather between your place and his has little to no connection to each other.

20. Sorvo

Media:
    nothing like a mountain range to split the difference :D My niners won big time last night with a rookie qb. Hope this is a new trend.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.