1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The Bard's Tale Trilogy Remake

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Taluntain, Aug 8, 2018.

1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    There's an upcoming remake of the original The Bard's Tale trilogy coming up; see the GOG.com product page. @Beren :D

About: Experience the events that led to The Bard’s Tale IV: Barrows Deep and The Mage’s Tale! The Bard's Tale Trilogy is a remastering of the classic 1980’s series, one of the godfathers of the RPG genre. Create an adventuring party in the first volume and play it across all three, creating a heroic story all your own!
    • The Bard’s Tale Trilogy launches with the first volume in the series. In the fall, The Bard’s Tale II: The Destiny Knight will be added. Finally, late in the year, The Bard’s Tale III: Thief of Fate. Each volume will be added into the collection free of charge!
    • Rescue a city trapped by a wizard, reforge the legendary Destiny Wand, and travel across time and space to confront a Mad God!
    • Enjoy a uniform playing experience across all three titles without the need for emulation or compatibility concerns.
    • For the first time, play as male or female across all three games! Also includes other quality of life changes such as automapping for all three games, spell access, and updated equipment/inventory management.
    • The final game content released will be the Legacy Mode, a suite of features which will allow veteran players to experience the games similar to how they first played them, and will be released free of charge for owners when complete.
    The Bard's Tale Trilogy is a chance for old fans to be young once again and for a new generation of roleplaying and dungeon crawler fans to discover why these games matter so much all these years later. Pick up the game and start your epic adventure today!

2. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Yeah, that's part of my kickstarter pledge.

Btw, for purposes of trilogy guides, do you prefer me to do the original DOS games or these remastered ones?

3. Keneth Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    Looks like they're gonna have an automapping feature. Kinda takes away part of the fun of grabbing some graph paper and mapping everything on your own. :shake:

Nevertheless, since I get the games free of charge as part of the kickstarter, I'll almost certainly do another run through for old times' sake.

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I'd go for the remakes as I think that the original games are much less likely to be played after the remasters are out.

5. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I’m currently moving and sold or trashed tons of old rpg stuff, including my old notebooks. I had TBT stuff in there. The irony....

6. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    Uh, the Apple IIGS version of Bard's Tale I and II both had a primitive automapper. It did not show much more than the walls, doors, and the location of the regular stairs or entrances. Special ones like the "long staircase" that led from the sewers to Mangar's Tower or teleporters did not appear. I don't think the holes in the floor/ceiling that you could navigate with [major] levitation appeared either.
    Still, it was darn useful as I only needed to note down important coordinates.

7. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    Really? Were other version different? I don't remember there being a map feature. Maybe I was just too young and stupid. :shake:

8. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    I do not think the Apple II family (for the IIe & IIc, not sure if it ran on the 64K II+) version had an automap. The graphics and sound sucked on those versions.
    I'm trying to recall if BT3 had an automap, but it has been a long time since I played. I didn't like it as much because they never made an Apple IIGS version and the sound was grating compared to the wonderful sound of the Apple IIGS version (which even today is passable for a turn-based RPG in Bard's Tale or Wizardry style).
    Seriously, prior to the Apple IIGS the Apple II sound capabilities were horrible. All sound was handled by "tweaking" the speaker and varying the delay between "tweaks" to change the frequency of sound made. IIRC it was address $C030.
    Oh, and "tweak" was the official term used in Apple's official AppleSoft BASIC Programmer's Reference Manual, acknowledged by just about every book and magazine as the official book on AppleSoft BASIC. At least everything in my library when I was 10 and caused me to order it.

That said, I have beaten all three, I just didn't play BT3 more than once or twice, as for once from my perspective the third game's graphics and sound were worse than the first two, although I knew darn well why. I didn't play the third until something like four or five years after the first two because I kept waiting for the Apple IIGS version that never materialized, then I found ftp.apple.asimov.net in high school and pirated it, still intending to buy the IIGS version if it ever came out (how naive, I don't think any truly new commercial software came out for the IIGS came out by that point, the closest being the freeware port of Wolfenstein 3D, but I still believed "Apple II Forever" at that point).

9. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    Yeah, looks like Apple IIGS version might have been the only one that had an automap feature (at least until BT3), which makes sense why I don't remember it. Apple was never really a thing here, and it still isn't to this day. You see a couple folks walking around with an iPhone or a MacBook here an there, but they're a very distinct minority. We're either smart enough or poor enough not to buy into Apple's style over substance philosophy.

I originally played the games on my uncle's Amiga, if memory serves. And I don't even think I ever got around to playing BT3.

10. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    BT3 had automap on all platforms. Most platforms didn't have it during 1 & 2.

Edit: I concede that BT3 had inferior graphics compared to the other 2, but it had by far the best story in the trilogy.

11. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    The style over substance didn't really start until around ten years after this with the introduction of the iCrap, err iMac and the "Think Different ad campaign.
    The Apple IIGS version was from the late 1980's, and Apple didn't start that until the late '90s.

12. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    That was just my explanation of why Apple still isn't a thing here. Back then, who knows. Maybe they didn't think we were a market worth investing into or maybe Commodore (and later IBM) simply saturated the Yugoslavian market and they couldn't get a foothold (kinda like it went with McDonald's and other fast food chains). But on the whole, PCs (or "home computers" if you prefer) didn't really become commonplace here until the 90s and I still don't know why my uncle had one in the first place (probably because he was loaded).

Anyway, we've veered somewhat off-topic. I'm looking forward to playing the games with an adult's eyes.

13. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    True enough. Sorry if I started to derail things. I will state that when talking about games from the '80s and the start of the '90s, if there was an Apple II or Apple IIGS (IIGS was significantly more advanced) version of it available, that was most likely the version I played. On a real Apple IIGS.

14. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Got my Steam key just now :)

15. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    Just got my GOG key as well. Probably gonna start playing it once I finish with TToN.

16. Kiwi Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Veteran

Given how much I enjoyed the first two back in 1987/1988, I was hoping I could play BT-IV when it comes out this month, or whenever it's going to be. But the system requirements are pretty seriously high. I have a Radeon HD 7850 in one tower, and a GTX 750 Ti in a pint-sized Dell PC, neither has as speedy of an i5 as they claim to want, nor as fast of a GPU!

Rats!

I played the MS-DOS versions in EGA. Right now, a video upgrade isn't very likely, either. I'll run a search here on the new release's name. Given how long the Alpha and Beta were available publicly, someone must have started a thread! How much bogging am I likely to see with an i5 2400 (quad, 3.1 GHz) and the 7850?

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
  17. Kiwi Gems: 3/31

Veteran

The early returns have not been favorable (at Steam, particularly). No one here was in on the funding?

18. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    I just looked at the recommended requirements for BT4, and it looks like this brand new "gaming computer" that I just saw available in Best Buy would not quite meet them.
    https://www.bestbuy.com/site/cyberp...-1tb-hard-drive-black/6225212.p?skuId=6225212
    That seems insane.
    Maybe I'm misreading things, as I'm re-learning how to understand graphics card requirements. Used to be it would just show the amount of VRAM and maybe the clock speed of the card, now it goes by model numbers that don't mean anything to me and I have to look them up.

19. Beren

Media:
    @Kiwi

The issue that a lot of people have with BT4 is that during the crowd-funding phase the fans of the original trilogy were promised a true sequel. The original games, although with the odd sprinkle of humor here and there, were quite serious in tone and story. The lore was also a mixture of high fantasy, Greek and Norse mythologies imho.

Now come 2002, we get a spinoff game was never a real sequel, and took a quite different turn with Scottish elements and frankly Monty-Python level humour. Not to say that the theme couldn't make for a good game in its own right. And that game does indeed have a following and fan base of its own. But a lot of fans of the original trilogy barely noticed it or gave it much mind, forget regarding it as a sequel.

The beta for BT4 comes out, and a lot of the original trilogy's fans, myself included, are upset that the game is going full blast with the spin-off themes, while pretty much retconning or even scrapping the lore of the original trilogy. Can you see where some people might have issues?

20. Kiwi Gems: 3/31

Veteran

@SlickRCB, video card names have never been particularly useful to anyone but a hardware grognard, and the amount of VRAM often is equally useless. Only benchmarks have held up as a true guide to which GPU is good for what purpose.

The 2004 version was garbage, although I can't recall all of what I found worthless about it. I hadn't been a big fan of the third of the original three games, for that matter. BUT given the length of time that the Alpha and the Beta copies were circulated among the fund's donors, it seems to me that if this was the 2004 crap passed off once again as something worth playing, there should've been more forewarning!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.