1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

My monk is still useless

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Lukki, Nov 12, 2001.

1. Lukki Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Veteran

My monk loses to Minsc. How can someone claim monks to be good. He even gets that annoying weapon ineffective text quite often. Next time, I'll take a cavalier with long swords and shields and I will make every wizard in the game pay. I hate wizards... stupid stoneskin.. :)

2. Mirkwood Guest

Well, what level are you at? It's pretty common knowledge that the monk is weak early in the game but becomes very powerful later.

If you are a level 21 monk and can't beat Minsc then you should give the game away, it's just not for you.

3. wittynewt Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Hi,

Not even Minsc can hit a well protected mage, you need to help out the fighters by pulling down those magical defenses, open up the tough exterior to get at the soft fleshy stuff inside!

Get your mage to hit the enemy mage with a breach, that will pull down all of those physical damage protections like stoneskin and mantle and then pound on him with your monk.

Cheers,

WittyNewt.

4. TIN_MAN Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

At level 15 the monk's fist is considered to be +3 weapons(to hit and damage applies) At level 18 he gets 4 attacks per round. At level 20 none of the in-game fighters stand a chance against a well played monk. I tried to whack my monk main char with Minsc(Silver sword), Keldorn(Carsomyr), and Valygar(Celestial fury) when they had about 2800000 XP-s per character. My monk Guivering palmed Valygar(who died instantly), pounded Minsc to death (5 hits) and stunned Keldorn(and killed him).

Monks are over too powerful I think, but are far from uselessness, I'm sure!

5. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

One hint: Get the Gauntlets of Crushing. That really improve your fist-fighting skills. And remember, a monk isn't really powerful in the beginning but when he reaches higher levels he get naturel Magic Resistance and a natural Armor Class... at level 21 he will be better then Minsc, without doubt.

6. Lukki Gems: 5/31

Veteran

My monk is 10, soon 11. I've done a lot of quests but advancing is just sooo slow. Only way to get 15 is a trip to spellhold but my kensai/mage had a hard time there. Irenicus killed nearly half of my party and I wasted like all of my healing potions. What a waste. They cost bleeding GPs. I really want Keldorn to my team but I'm not sure. KEldorn is good but I have heard that if he is upset, he leaves. That's annyoing. That bastard Jaheira left too. Stole my sling +2 that costed tons of gold pieces. Good thing she returned. I have one empty slot in my team.. my choices are Viconia, Jan, Edwin and Keldorn. What I would like to my team is a fighter/thief but guess what. There aren't any fighter/thieves in the game. Very annoying. If I could just hire some thief from the slums but noooo this is Athkatla and we have a fixed amount of NPCs suitable for adventuring and the rest are commoners. Bloody annoying.... I want my own army too. It's a shame that you can't hire mercenaries or use your own guards from de'Arnise. Maybe use your thieves guild... Uh.. I hope NWN is more advanced. You gotta have more possibilities or the roleplay dies.

7. StressedE Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Uhh healing potions don't really cost that much, nor does the sling+2.... All the npcs leave if they get upset... so just don't make them upset. If you want your own army, create on in a multi player game... although you would be missing some sub-quests, and some great dialogue. If you really want a fighter/thief just add one through multiplayer... same problem doh :(

8. wittynewt Gems: 7/31

Lukki I just don't think this game is for you.

Cheers,

WittyNewt.

9. Lukki Gems: 5/31

Veteran

I meant those potions of extra healing. Just because I'm stingy doesn't mean that the game is not for you. It's true tho' that I liked BG more. BG wasn't that hard. I'm not saying that BG2 is hard but it seems like a MUST to do all subquests before rescuing Imoen. Not funny. I'll continue with my monk and see how he does. If I get pissed off with him then I'll start an evil half-orc fighter or human.. Are there any good halberds in the game?

10. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The Wave and Dragonsbreath are two great halberds.

11. Lukki Gems: 5/31

Veteran

And where can I find the wave or dragonsbreath? Where can I find carsomyr +5?

12. TIN_MAN Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Finding the Holy Avenger(Carsomyr) is easy. It is in possession of a great old red wyrm Firkraag. But...he won't give it to you, you must defeat him first. It won't be easy!:evil: - Oh I almost forgot the location: Windspear Hills; Level 3

Acquiring the Wave halberd is more difficult, because it is torn into two parts which are separated well. The 1 st. part of the weapon can be found in the planar prison; Haer Dalis quest; Bridge District; Five Flagons. The 2nd. part is in possession of the sahaguin prince in the Underwater City.

The two parts can be magically reforged by Cromwell; Docks District.

13. Namuras Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

And Dragon's Breath can be found on some adventurers in the Underdark, if memory serves.

14. wittynewt Gems: 7/31

Hi Lukki,

Sorry, my comment was unfair. If you enjoyed BG1, then you will enjoy BG2, it has more depth than BG1 and the npc interactions and dialogue is great.

You don't have to do all of the subquests before going off to rescue Imoen.

I am not sure where you are in the main plot so I don't want to spoil things for you but as soon as you have the correct amount of money you can progress onto chapter 3. There are three smallish quests to do there and then you can go off to save Imoen.

The only reason to do a lot of the subquests is to build up xp/levels and equipment before setting off.

You can do the remaining subquests when you get back after saving Imoen.

Cheers,

WittyNewt

15. Laertiades Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Lukki, FYI; Monks are one of the fastest level uping PCs in the game.

16. FoolioBuddumz Gems: 2/31

IMHO...Monk's level up slow. mine took forever to get quivering palm...

17. Demonater351 Guest

Patience, my son. As wise man once said: Great things come with time.

18. Laertiades Gems: 2/31

One more thing, FYI again, I have finished the game 2 times with a Monk, and even the first time (witch was the my first time through BG playing on the easiest level), I found the game rather easy (sure I had to save and replay most big battles); but the game wasn't to hard, second time I turned up the heat a lot, but even when my monk was lvl 9-15 it was very beatable. At 20-21 he wiped out the Drow practically on his own (regeneration items and hit and run strategy, only used like 1 pot, he killed every Drow)... it was funny standing in front of 2 Drow mages waiting for their invis to fade, have them cast every possible spell at you, and you make every saving throw (only spell that seems to hit them is Imprisonment, but that hits everything almost every time). A lot of chars have problems vs. those Greater Wolverines, Monks beat the “#$”#$ out of them (15+). Also, I killed Silver Dragon single handedly with my Monk. Killed shadow dragon too single handedly, but I had to leave it until the end of the game and use a lvl 21 Monk to do it.

SO please don’t say Monks suck, they don’t, sure Kensays dueling Celestial and and other bad ass weapon rock, and can be dualed, but I like being practically immune to magic and mele.

On a final note, you made sure to have 18 str and 18 dex, and really high constitution right? If not, no wonder you have troubles.

19. StressedE Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

lol, easiest level?
    my 1st game was on AD&D!
    I don't think I ever played easy....

20. Lukki Gems: 5/31

Veteran

Yes I have 18 str 18 dex 18 const and if memory serves me correctly, 15 wisdom.. 10 int and 8 charisma.

My monk is advancing slowly.. Where the hell do you get so much exp?

My position in the plot is that I have money for Gaelan Bayle but I won't go to spellhold.. I once played a kensai/mage to the underwater city thingy but he was a hella boring char and he took so much damage...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.