1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Evasion Vs Spell Focus

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Rik Kirtaniya, Oct 12, 2017.

1. Laclongquan Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Veteran

in an exercise of possibility, I will point out that minor globe of invulnerability, an arcane spell of 4th tier, protect caster against spell from tier 3 downward.

So a fighter can use the Use Any Scroll exploit to activate that scroll for that absolute situation where you need to protect yourself against any incoming low level spells.

Not an ideal solution, I admit.

2. Sir Rechet

Sir Rechet I speak maths and logic, not stupid Veteran

I see no one answered the actual question. Yes, picking Spell Focus will make the life of your tank trying to dodge the Fireballs miserable.

But you have an even bigger issue than that: wearing any armor heavier than studded leather disables Evasion ability altogether.

Considering that Fireball has at the very least DC 15, making the save on a regular basis requires a Reflex save bonus of at least +14. Ain't gonna happen until very high levels even if you're a Monk/rogue and/or use short term buffs liberally.

3. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    Most people who want to rely on evasion will choose high DEX characters, and unlike in 2E, heavy armor greatly reduces or negates DEX bonuses, so most people who are making such a build will choose light armor rather than medium or heavy.
    I think the rest of us just assumed that the character in question was wearing light armor. One thing I've noticed is that through the ice fortress, if all characters have 18 DEX (yes, I was cheating, it was an experiment. I altered the .INI file to give enough points to give a human all 18s), the benefits of medium or even heavy armor over light are canceled out by the loss of the DEX bonus.
    Of course, if you are flat-footed, heavy armor is better.

4. NguyenGiaThai Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

If you want a fodder to lure enemies into a big pack, Animate Dead is just right there. The undeads are tough and can survive a bit longer than your combatants.

Or if you really have to, summon Fire elemental to be one.

5. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    The real benefit of animate dead is that it has a long enough duration to clear the map, most other summons last too short a time.
    This is true for all the IE games.
    Some of the elementals are an exception.

That said, the idea with using a rogue with evasion is that you don't have to at least one spell every map, allowing you to clear multiple maps in areas where you change screen frequently.

6. Jamesworkshop Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Low flat resistance values only hold up on a character of high luck because luck does reduce the damage you take from spells but won't increase the damage they deal to enemies.

+5 luck makes fireball a 10 damage max spell so you only need fire res of ten to be totally safe, really this only helps in HOF where you can have save scummed for tymora's loop back in the regular severed hand and combined with the HOF Targos lucky knucky.
    Although by this point fireball is a waste of time due to it's low damage.

Better to just give a decoy the shroud of banko (any build can wear it) and just be immune to skull trap instead, it even prevents the loss of mirror images which is an added bonus.

Acid storm is a good spell for the luck method as anyone can get 10 acid resistance just from the guardian fights so it's the easiest resistance to raise.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.