1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Kensai/Thief or Kensai/Mage?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Zaragoth, Jul 8, 2001.

1. Zaragoth Guest

[​IMG] What do you consider best? This is what I´ve come up with:
    If you are a Kensai/Mage, You are good in both melee and magic. Wich means that he´s a pretty impressive character.
    But on the other hand, if you are a Kensai/Thief you get to use the Kai ability plus that you can use Stealth mode to use backstab. That would cause a great amount of hard ass damage. :cool:

Wich would you choose?

PS.Can a Kensai/Thief use black dragon armour?

thx.

2. Vanyril Guest

IMHO the Kensai/Mage is better, mainly because both the Mage and the Kensai are not able to wear armor so you get no extra restrictions but still the better Thac0 and the grandmastery.
    The Kensai/Thief is also very good due to the very high amount of damage you can do with a combined backstab and Kai-ability. The problem with Kensai/Thiefs is that they can't wear any armor and therefor are not very good for close combat.

And to answer your second question: Kensai/Thief's are not able to wear any armor and so they are not able to wear the Shadow Dragon Scale either :(.

/edit

Did you really mean *black* Dragon armor, cause for as far as I know there is no such armor in BG2, maybe in ToB?

[This message has been edited by Vanyril (edited July 08, 2001).]

3. Zaragoth Guest

Nay, I did not mean black armour scales - I couldn´t remember the correct name. :p

4. Silverblade Guest

Well you said black dragon armor, but maybe you ment to say Shadow Armor or The Nights Gift, but Kensai/Thief can't use them either, I would go with the Kensai/Thief though because there aren't many good thieves in the game and there are plenty good mages (Imoen, Edwin etc.)

5. ayecapitan Guest

Definitely K/T
    K/M (IMHO) is just a waste of class, for if you go mage's way, you don't really need this Kensai class (oh, dont tell me they are good in combat, 1st & 2nd chapters are fine, while later you will die of your hight AC and THAC0, while pure mages can wear bracers) K/T is a not-so-great fighter, but can do for picking locks, killing traps, and correctly made backstab will deal enormous amounts of damage enought to take a lot of enemies with one slash (poke for piercing weapons :))

6. The Shadow Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

It has to be kensai\mage because it could just cas t invisibility as for the backstab well.... finger of death.

7. reijek hidesman Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

If you're planning on taking your game into Throne of Bhaal, Kensai/Thief can use any armor, once you get the use all items ability- you can also use nifty swords like carsomyr. I just think that the kensai/mage - or even fighter/mage combo is neat, especially when you can cast time stop, improved haste, stoneskin, protection from magical weapons (w or w/o contingency) and dish out close to 1000 damage in a single timestop. For any fighter kit dualed to a mage, I generally just use combat enhancement spells- think about how many hp you can get with tenser's transformation!, and let Edwin chuck out horrid wiltings left and right.

8. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] funny how often this is a topic in the last days ;) I think the human dc kensai-mage is the better combination - about my arguments more here:

http://www.sorcerers.net/ubb/Forum2/HTML/003057.html

[This message has been edited by Ragusa (edited July 08, 2001).]

9. saukoon Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Me like Kensai/Mage more... coz magiks are great, and with the robe of Vegna (not sure spelling), he can cast spell very fast... terror!

10. Shadow Assassin Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

tough call, why don't you save your game then make it a k/m and save that to one file the load the first save and make it a k/t and save that one as another file and play both to figure out which is better for you, because everyone's playing style is different so you'll jusst get a bunch of different answers from us.I'd probably do k/t if I had to, but I think both are good, however I'm a single class/kit kinda guy so I'd stay Kensai

11. Zaragoth Guest

Hehe. I hate it when all have different oppinions :)
    With all the new info it just get´s harder trying to decide - But thanks anyway, and I think I´ll dual him into a mage after all.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.