1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Mild "spoilers" wanted for a few things in BG2

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Billy Lyre, Aug 26, 2017.

1. Billy Lyre Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I think I have played through BG2 about 6 times so far over the years and I seem to recall in every playthrough there have been some locations and people that I have never really seen the point of. So, listing these in no particular order, could someone give a gentle hint on what these things are? :D

1) The Guarded Compound in Temple District. On the top floor there are enemies who attack you immediately and have empty potion bottles in their inventory.

2) Small Tooth Pass and North Forest. These ares, especially Small Tooth Pass seem so small and pointless. North Forest has some enemies that just happen to be there for no explanation and attack as soon as I see them. Small Tooth Pass is mostly impassable rock that is only visible through spells like Farsight. They just seem oddly incongruous areas of the map.

3) In the sewers there is an Ilithid complex that contains a "correspondence" scroll. I never understood what it was meant for.

4) In the docks there are some military barrack areas in the east which you can enter.

5) Bodhi has some books on vampirism stashed in the tombs. Can these be used?

6) What are the dog meat/ dog bones used for in the D' Arnise Stronghold? I managed to kill the dogs and cook some meat but I didn't seem to have enough meat to cook for anything to happen.

7) The Rune cult in the Docks area that can only be accessed by a rogue stone. I don't recall knowing finding anything else about them in the game, apart from stumbling upon them by accident.

I know I could find out what these locations/ items are for if I searched online, but having it told to me totally bluntly and unambigously would spoil it for me! I would much rather have subtle "clues" as to what these things are. :)

2. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    1) The Guarded Compound in Temple District. On the top floor there are enemies who attack you immediately and have empty potion bottles in their inventory.

- My recollection is that this is part of the rune cult that was never completed in the game. You were supposed to be able to find clues to take you to the docks.

2) Small Tooth Pass and North Forest. These ares, especially Small Tooth Pass seem so small and pointless. North Forest has some enemies that just happen to be there for no explanation and attack as soon as I see them. Small Tooth Pass is mostly impassable rock that is only visible through spells like Farsight. They just seem oddly incongruous areas of the map.

- I agree. There are mods that beef them up, but they never made sense to me in vanilla.

3) In the sewers there is an Ilithid complex that contains a "correspondence" scroll. I never understood what it was meant for.

- I think this is just flavor to explain why they are infiltrating the sewers of the city.

4) In the docks there are some military barrack areas in the east which you can enter.

- Not sure, I never bother.

5) Bodhi has some books on vampirism stashed in the tombs. Can these be used?

- The point is that in Chapter 6, if you are far enough along in a romance, she grabs your romantic interest and vamps him/her. The books are designed to give clues on undoing that.

6) What are the dog meat/ dog bones used for in the D' Arnise Stronghold? I managed to kill the dogs and cook some meat but I didn't seem to have enough meat to cook for anything to happen.

- Kill 4, make a stew, and then in the basement, you can use a stealthed character to put that in the area through the broken walls of the jail cell on the west end of the map to draw all the umber hulks there. Easier to kill them. Plus, BONUS XP!

7) The Rune cult in the Docks area that can only be accessed by a rogue stone. I don't recall knowing finding anything else about them in the game, apart from stumbling upon them by accident.

- See 1 above. There was supposed to be a clear link to get you there.

3. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    I believe it is in part to show how corrupt things are when there is a military presence there yet the docks are one of the more dangerous areas to walk around, particularly at night with the open warfare between the thieves and the vampires.

Now I'd like to throw my own into the mix.
    What was the deal with Andora and the mycons in that quest in the slums?

4. Paracelsi

Paracelsi Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Many of these locations were part of scrapped quests/questlines that the devs decided to leave in the game anyway, or were just the developers adding their personal touches to the game (after all, these games were made by gamers for gamers). The Twisted Rune was supposed to be an overarching questline referenced by several other different quests, for example, from the Skinner quests to Nalia's personal quest (which actually also mentions slave lords in Temple District ie. the Guarded Compound).

A lot of things are also added into the game for flavor, like the presence of SoA's second demilich (bonus points if you can guess who).

Relevant interesting read: http://blog.brentknowles.com/2009/08/25/bioware-brent-year-1-1999/

5. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    There is a mod (Unfinished Business, perhaps) that fleshes out the link between the guarded compound and the twisted rune. I vagely recall there also being something somewhere that actually points the player to the guarded compound, because as it is, only a persistent desire for exploration will actually get the player there. Especially given that looting random houses is likely to get the authorities down on yourself, and there is no indication that this would not happen in the guarded compound.

I believe at least the guarded compound, the twisted rune, and the illithid layer in the temple sewers have been confirmed to have been more or less cut content, where the links between the areas were cut, but the areas themselves were left.

@Paracelsi, where is the second demilich in SoA then? Don't recall ever seeing more than the single one.

6. Yoshimo's Heart Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

I think if you go through the whole barracks on the other side is a door that leads directly to the true shadow thieves base (you still need the key though as I recall) so I think that was supposed to be an indication that they were working together. The thieves had bought off most of the garrison which should be no surprise.

Mycons? I do not remember that at all right now which is odd.

7. sestritsaA Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Media:
    The scroll in the Illithid complex could lead to Lady Jysstev in the Government District. She is connected with Illithids’ intervention somehow, it’s clear from Jan’s quest. And there is a locked chest in her mansion that can never be opened. I wonder what that chest could contain.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.