1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

How to get more experience when I've completed most quests?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Billy Lyre, Aug 25, 2017.

1. Billy Lyre Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

The only main quest left for me to do is to defeat Irenicus in the middle of the Tree of Life. The problem is though that currently my party, well, sucks.

I think I made a bad decision for my main character. I chose Blade, with mediocre intelligence. So basically my character is an average fighter and an average wizard, with average hit points, even at Level 23.

I have no other high level character either. I had Edwin and Anomen and pretty high level, but they were both killed by Keldorn in an in-party squabble I had no control over. And Minsc was killed by Edwin. So that leaves me with Keldron, Vaygar, Cernd, Jan and Aerie, all at about middle level. (I chose the Eyeless Cult quest last, as I knew how tough the beholders were in previous playthroughs! So Keldorn is only Level 13 or so) Jaheria and Mazzy are both permanently dead. The only character at high level is Imoen , and she's lost somewhere. I split her from the party, she told me to find her at the Copper Coronet, but she's not there.

So how can I get more experience points? Ideally I'd like to get Cernd up some higher levels. At the moment I've whittled my party down to 3, and travelling between the places in the middle of the map, actively hoping to get jumped by some Crimson Deaths to get experience. It's not a guaranteed thing though. I can pick up some experience points here and there, but it's not very heroic is it? :D

2. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Isn't there a spot in the bottom area below the sewers (as part of the Cult of the Eyeless quest) where you can continually click on a statue or frieze or something and spawn crimson deaths and horrors and whatnot? It's on the same map as the forgotten temple of Amaunator that holds the manifestation of hate. Just where you enter the map.

If you really want to grind, you could do that. Or just console in the XP or add it with Shadowkeeper.

3. Billy Lyre Gems: 1/31

i think that statue has limited amount of spawning creatures.:)

I did find a fairly good way to get some respectable experience points. If you rest in the Beholder tunnels in the Underdark there's a fairly good chance your party's rest will be interrupted by 3 Gauths. Of course you have no way of surprising them and they start shooting off Cause Serious Wounds immediately, but I can usually kill them off before a party member gets toasted. 27,000 experience points right there. You can keep on repeating the process, and the Gauth supply never seems to dry up. It seems kind of a cheesy, almost cheaty way to get points, but I can't see any other way.

If the Gauths are too tough, then the Windspear dungeon has some less intimidating undead, orcs amd orogs- for less experience points of course.

4. WickedPrince Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

This must be BG2? I recognize most of the names from the BG series and Aerie is definitely BG2 at least. And of course checking the top shows me that this is in the BG2 thread, so yeah. Man - in party squabbles killing off your team? That's rough. I never got far enough into it for stuff like that to start happening. Wow.

5. Billy Lyre Gems: 1/31

Well as odd as it sounds, from what I understand Edwin seems to have captured Minscs love interest in BG1, so if they meet again in BG2 then it's likely they'll fight.

In my games uber righteous paladin Keldron has killed Viconia and Edwin purely due to their evil alignment, and Anomen started the fight with Keldorn. However Keldorn is a very useful character- an Inquisitor is ideal for tackling the many evil mages in the game and once he gets the Holy Avenger and a high level he is a real killing machine.

Just played some more and I can concur that the Gauths do seem to be in unlimited supply in the Beholder tunnels in the Underdark. So they're a useful supply of XP, if you're patient. I whittled down my party to about 4, kept of resting in the tunnels and about 30% of the time I'd get woken up by 3 Gauths. Perfectly killable if you have fairly high level characters. It was pretty tedious and decidedly unheroic, but I like my experience points!

6. WickedPrince Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Ohhhh yeah, I remember. Edwin tries to hire you to kill Minsc's boss-wizard chicka in BG when you first meet him. They come from rival magical factions basically, so yeah. And I think in the end Edwin won and killed her in between games. Man I would not play if I lost Imoen. She's my girl! :D

Info on Dynaheir: Minsc's friend: http://baldursgate.wikia.com/wiki/Dynaheir

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2017
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.