1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Dune - new movie to be made

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by Beren, Apr 8, 2017.

1. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    http://www.empireonline.com/people/denis-villeneuve/eric-roth-write-dune-denis-villeneuve/

Not sure how I feel about this. Dune is a very difficult story to adapt to the big screen. In part because so much of the narrative is driven by the characters' own internal thought processes, and not so much physical action. And we all know about Hollywood's temptation to liven things up for dramatic value.

Casting can be a challenge as well. Max Von Sydow was perfect for Liet Kynes in the 80s movie, but that potential got squandered with what amounted to a cameo performance.

The roles that I think will be the most challenging to cast for will be the Emperor and the Baron. The Reverend Mother and Count Fenring will be challenging as well.

Thoughts?

2. Darion

Darion Resident Dissident Veteran BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Was kinda expecting this, given the trend to revive/remake some Classics.
    But a Dune remake/reboot, is not feasible especially for today's fast-food-movie-music mindset.

Meh

3. Keneth Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    A proper Dune movie has never been feasible for many different reasons. The question is, do we forsake the movie for not being able to live up to the books (which it won't) or do we judge it on its own merit and try to appreciate the fact that it's gonna spawn many more fans of the universe?

Reason would have one lean toward the latter, but the heart will often not allow it. It was the same with LotR. I know that they are good movies, but I just can't get myself to like them. I think the only book-based movies I liked were the Discworld films and that's probably because the books had never resonated with me.

(I also liked the Twilight movies purely for their comedic value when high. :shake:)

4. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Is Sting going to be in it? :p

5. Darion

Darion Resident Dissident Veteran BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Why not all of Police while we're at it.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

6. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I thought the original movie was ok, kind of a cult movie. I hadn't read the book at that time, though, which makes a difference. Did it live up to the book? I'm not sure, the later books in the Dune series have tainted my view of the series a bit, and the writing itself wasn't that great either.

Book adaptations to movie tend to be quite difficult, at least for people that read the book before the movies. The only one where I liked the movie better than the book is the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

But a new Dune movie? I'm pretty sure it would be much further away from the book than the original movie was. The most we can hope for is that it will be a fairly entertaining movie in its own right. Which is really all we can hope of most movies, and a mark that most movies don't reach (in my subjective view).

7. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Agreed on the book series. Read the first two books. Stopped reading about part way through the third.

8. Beren

Media:
  9. Keneth Gems: 29/31

★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    "Big" might be a bit of an overstatement, but they're recognizable actors at least.

10. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

I've been here and liked the movie. I'm not a huge SF-fan and wasn't sure what to expect, but the movie has something slow and solemn which gives it a nice vibe and makes it totally different from a Starwars-movie for example. Though some questions remain and I dislike some things (the Harkonnen are too evil to be taken serious, especially their leader) the movie is well worth watching. Some questions might be solved in the second part of the movie (not officially announced but the starting line "Dune Part One" is clear about he intention to release a second movie as well. As well does the open end of this first movie)

11. Beren

Media:
    Just saw the movie and loved it! Did the unthinkable, more or less got in as much of the story as they could and still made an entertaining movie.

Shadowcouncil likes this.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.