1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

All female party - few questions

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate 2: Enhanced Edition' started by Cecily Griselda, Feb 19, 2017.

1. Cecily Griselda Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Media:
    Let's say, Viconia, Jaheira, Aerie, Nalia, Mazzy and Charname, all female. I prefer good aligned gameplay.

Firstly, what class should my charname be? Secondly, how to get Mazzy relatively early?
    I would prefer a fighter class, since I wont get Mazzy for a while.

2. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Well, if you want a warrior type, probably a paladin of some sort, I'd go with inquisitor or undead hunter.

You're going to be light on thief skills with this party, though, as Nalia is your only character with any thief skills, and she's stunted. If her skill set is enough for you, then fine. Otherwise, perhaps a multi-class F/T makes sense for you.

3. Vhailor

Vhailor Justice is not blind, for I am her eyes Veteran

Viconia won't fit well if you have a paladin. Try the Saerileth mod but you really have to be into paladins (LG alignment).
    http://www.baldursgatemods.com/forums/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=17
    You will either love her or hate her (I love her)
    http://www.baldursgatemods.com/forums/index.php?board=16.0

You should be fine of thief skills if you substitute Nalia for Imeon later in the game. Just keep some master thief potions handy and a knock spell

Serileth would be a good tank for your party and she isn't that hard to install

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
  4. xosmi Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    The combination means a very casting oriented party for sure, just having Aerie around will supply you with plenty of spells, her being a cleric/mage.
    You'll also have Viconia for additional divine casting and Nalia for more arcane spells, with Jaheira picking up the slack with her druid spells.
    Designating one of them as your dedicated buff/heal bot is probably a good idea - i'd probably give Viconia this spot and stick a sling and some bullets on her so i can keep her in the backline.

The good news is that Jaheira can do pretty well for herself in the front line, so you should be doing okay early on, even without Mazzy.
    Just stick Jaheira in the best armor you can find and have her memorize a bunch of iron skins spells a.s.a.p
    You do need your PC to pick up the slack though, so picking a fighter class is probably for the best, and since Nalia is pretty limited as a thief at best, you'll probably want to dual or multi into thief as well.

You could start as a multiclass fighter/thief for the least hassle, but starting as a Human opens up some interesting dual class options, like Kensai/Thief or Beserker/Thief, both powerful in their own right.

Cecily Griselda likes this.
  5. Keneth Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    Designated healers are a waste of a party slot. The best defense is offense.

6. xosmi Gems: 20/31

Media:
    I still have her wielding a melee weapon in a second slot, and have her off-tank if i need her, i just prefer splitting up my offensive and defensive spells between characters when i can, it saves me time scrolling through spell bars. :D

7. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Also, I don't like dual classing thieves because your are stuck with only the thief HLA's and, frankly, other than UAI I would much rather pick from the fighter HLA's. To me, this party calls out for a F/T multi unless the OP is just not interested in having a developed thief at all, in which case Nalia with a bunch of items and potions can probably skate by for you. Not my style, but it will work.

8. xosmi Gems: 20/31

Media:
    Yeah, items can boost up her skills a bit, it's a shame she can't wear the Night's Gift +5 (+30% HiS) without disabling her mage spells.
    There's 3 items you can wear to boost her thief skill values that i know of :
    Ring of lock picks (+25% lockpicking) - pickpocketed from a thief named Dredal in the thief guild cellar.
    Gloves of Pick Pocketing (+20% pickpocket) - in a container in a room in the Copper Coronet, near Yarin.
    Boots of Stealth (+20% move silently, +15% hide in shadows) - looted from Mae'var's strongbox.

The only other interesting one is the Cloak of Elvenkind, giving +50% HiS, but you can only get that at the final stages of the game, and wearing a cloak of non-detection is probably a better idea anyway if you plan on doing a lot of sneaking.

EDIT : there's also the amulet of the master harper, for another +20% to find traps and pick locks, but that doesn't become available until the ToB expansion.

9. dmc

Media:
    You're assuming playing unmodded. If you use Item Upgrade, or whatever more recently includes its basic components, you can smash together a bunch of thief aiding items into, I think, a single amulet that does a lot for you.

Eh, I checked and it's not quite what I remembered:

Gloves of Pick Pocketing
    Bracers of Defense AC 4
    Ring of Danger Sense
    Ring of Lock Picks
    2 Rings of Protection +1
    5,000 Gold
    Gloves of the Master Thief
    +25% traps, +25% locks, +20% pickpocket,
    +3 AC, +1 saves

Still gives you the opportunity to use other items to bolster other skills though.

10. Eyebreaker7

Eyebreaker7 Someone clean my litter box ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Gloves of the Master Thief: Twelve Fingers
    <CHARNAME> had these gloves formed from a number of more mundane items that benefit the rogue. When these gloves are worn by a thief, each glove appears to have an extra magical finger that aids the fortune-hunter in performing their unique skills. In addition, the gloves are stylish. They look almost ... gnomish in design.

STATISTICS:

Armor Class: 3
    Saving Throws: +1 bonus
    Find and Remove Traps: +25% bonus
    Open Locks: +25% bonus
    Pick Pocketing: +20% bonus
    Weight: 2

*added the flavor text-

11. Cecily Griselda Gems: 3/31

Media:
    I play unmodded game on normal difficulty.

But I think I'm quitting. It's too hard for me, and I play normal difficulty. Any advice? Even the easiest quest are too heavy, for instance, slaves in ch2. I'm certainly doing something wrong, but I can't figure out what.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2017
  12. Eyebreaker7

Eyebreaker7 Someone clean my litter box ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Don't give up. If you have to play it on a lower difficulty so you can at least get a play through and experience the game. You can always try switching the difficulty down or up depending on your fights. Just set your normal play for when your going through the game and lower it if you need to for whatever fights you need to. I know what you about it being hard. I have to admit I play on easy mod but it's still fun to experience the game anyway :1eye:

*edit added more input*
    One thing to keep in mind if you haven't already is that missile weapons are your best friend. Pelt the crap out of them as they close in. And for those, like mages, that stand back try and have some missile fire go at them while your tanks deal with the up in your face enemies.

13. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    That's a reasonable assumption for any game. Assuming otherwise introduces too much noise to receive any useful help.

"I know the game is hard for you, but if you use an invincibility mod, it's not a problem."

Obviously, that's hyperbole, but you see where I'm going. Mods introduce an infinite amount of variables that dilute information.

I've never once used the Item Upgrade Mod, nor do I ever intend to, so if I asked for help, mod-related information would be useless to me.

14. Cecily Griselda Gems: 3/31

Media:
    Problem I have is that I have no tank besides Jaheira and my fighter/thief. Mazzy is still trapped in Umar hill and since I want to play all female party on normal difficulty, I have really big problems with dying every single time I load the game.
    I tried slaves in copper corrent quest (lots of fighting), I tried bridge district murders (rune asassins are quite challenging), I tried graveyard quest (besides Wellyn, there's no one). I do get some xp, mostly by disarming traps and opening locks and fighting random encounters. It's just that I don't know how to beat "normal difficulty" with this party.

15. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    You should have a bunch of casters in your party. Use damage mitigation spells to survive and fight offensively, focusing on one or two targets at a time. The faster you kill your enemies, the fewer bad things will happen to your party. You can also kite the enemy and use the terrain to your advantage if you're being overwhelmed. I've ran with this particular party comp before on insane difficulty, so it's absolutely doable, you just have to find the right party dynamic and strategies that work for you.

16. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    With a F/T? Just backstab whenever you can, and when you can't, rely on Jaheira and possibly some defensive casting from Aerie and Viconia. And perhaps some offensive casting from Nalia.

A F/T is one of the easier classes to solo, so with a party to back you up, it should definitely be possible.

17. xosmi Gems: 20/31

Media:
    Solo runs do rely on a lot of metagaming knowledge though, and OP is not running with the most optimized party - for a new player things might be rough even as a fighter mage.

If not the case already, i would suggest starting the character in BG1 - not only is the first game a bit more forgiving - giving you more of a handle to learn the mechanics, but you'll also end up with a more powerful character to import into BG2 then you would be able to create normally.
    Most of this stems from being able to gain a possible 8 additional stat points by collecting all the tomes and manuals (1 available for each stat, 3 for wisdom.)
    Being able to start with 19 strength in the 2nd game is huge for a fighter - you get +3 to all damage rolls and +7 to all to-hit rolls - starting with anything under 18/50 would give you only +1 to damage and +3 to to-hit rolls.
    As a F/T you want to max out Strength, Dexterity and Constitution, leaving a few points in int so you don't die due to mind flayer intelligence drain later on into BG2.

18. Tarrasque

Tarrasque Whoever said Paladins had to be charismatic? ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Worst case turn it down to story mode for the really difficult fights.

19. Eyebreaker7

Media:
    Are you playing with only 5 characters and saving the spot for Mazzy? If so one thing to try is to make a tank to fill in for her until you can get her. Would definitely help.

Cecily Griselda likes this.
  20. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    Use Anomen. No loss if he ends up dead. :p

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.