1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What do these Trump protestors hope to accomplish?

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by SlickRCBD, Jan 24, 2017.

1. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    I'll start out by saying I did NOT vote for Trump in either the primary or the general election.

That said, what do all these protestors hope to accomplish by protesting Trump being sworn in? The election is over, and nobody has said that the actual election results were tampered with. As far as I can tell, Trump won the election legally, fair and square.
    I may not like the man, but he's in.

What is the point of having these demonstrations NOW? What good would it do? The time to do the protests would have been on November 5th and 6th, when it could influence the outcome of the election, or right before the Republican National Convention, or even right before the electors met, rather than when Trump is being sworn in.

So, what do these protestors hope to accomplish with this spectacle? I don't see the point.

2. Paracelsi

Paracelsi Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Dunno about the ones protesting his legitimacy/candidacy, but the others are there basically to remind the new administration about what they stand for (women's rights, abortion and reproductive health care, etc). Trump has a terrible track record with regards to certain issues.
    Obviously these individuals have accepted the outcome of the elections otherwise they wouldn't be there.

As for the anarchists, I suppose its just a perfect excuse for them to practice their secret love for organizing stuff.

3. Keneth Gems: 29/31

★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    What do protests ever accomplish? Without a dedicated political machine in the background that actually drives the change, protests are entirely useless. They're barely anything more than the posts on Facebook saying, "Click Like to show support for issue X." People are out there to voice their outrage, but these days, getting a mob of angry people together to scream like a bunch of crybabies at whomever is the Big Bad du jour is as easy as posting a few tweets. It merely reflects the people's poor understanding of how political changes are actually brought about. Common sense and a firm grasp on reality are in short supply these days.

4. Arkite

Arkite Crash or crash through Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

It's a fairly uncontroversial fact that large groups of people in the streets have been bringing about change for as long as humanity has been around. Long before facebook, and twitter or even political parties.

5. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    It is just that most of the more recent efforts have seemed to come to naught. Look at the "Occupy Wall Street" which seemed to have done diddly squat, and now this Woman's March/Rally (it was changed to a rally in Chicago).

6. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    Actually, no, they haven't. Unless you count uprisings among those. Hundreds and hundreds of protests over the course of history have had little to no effect whatsoever. Having an angry mob in the street demanding change will garner attention, sure, but that's pretty much where it stops. Protests are like gasoline: Sure, it can act as a fuel for an engine, but without that engine it'll just evaporate or violently burn out.

7. Arkite

Arkite Crash or crash through Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Top of my head... The 2004 orange revolution that reversed the result of an election, the Boston tea party, the Vietnam protests, MLK's march on Washington, Berlin wall
    protests, hell even last year in Iceland protesters forced their prime minister to resign.

The women's march in Chicago wasn't able to happen because far too many people showed up, so they had a rally instead, that shows up in every story covering the march...

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2017
  8. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    Yes, but re-election in Ukraine was driven by Yushchenko. He's the one who told people to start protesting and then used those protests to force the change.

The Tea Party was but the tip of a long political movement that culminated in a war and it was the war and the politicians that ultimately brought change.

The Vietnam war protests took a decade of organized protests and a lot of political support before finally reaching their goal.

Protests definitely helped lead to the fall of the Berlin Wall, but like with Boston Tea Party, they were merely the final straw, the push needed to get where things were already going.

And so on and so forth. Like I said, protests are fuel. On their own, they don't achieve anything accept draw attention.

9. Arkite

Not sure if troll or...

10. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    Because of obvious examples like the ones you've listed, people look at protests and think, "Hey, protests are clearly what it takes to affect political changes. Cause and effect, right?"

Except it's not, which is why the vast majority of protests don't do shit except give reporters something to talk about for a little while.

People go out into the streets, they scream, maybe riot for a bit, and then, well.... nothing. Hardly anyone ever considers what comes after that. Some public dissonance won't just magically make things happen and it's a lot easier to simply please the masses with platitudes than to do anything about the issues.

Here's a helpful flowchart for anti-Trump protesters:

[​IMG]

hedron, Taluntain and ConjurerDragon like this.
  11. Arkite

Oh dear, well I guess my feeling was spot on. Best of luck to you.

12. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    I heard three different reasons from three different news sources on why they changed it from a march to a rally. I did not know which to believe.
    IIRC News Radio 780 said something about not wanting to chance it turning violent like the previous day's incident in D.C. and so kept it contained. This was when I was in my car on my way to work and they were saying it was changed to a rally before it really began. I was somewhere on 53/290/355 between Arlington Heights and Addison.

The Daily Herald the next day said what you quoted, and the TV news said something about the police advising them to make it a rally for safety that I did not hear the whole thing or most of it because the phone rang and drowned out the TV. If this last one doesn't make a lot of sense, well, I only half-heard it.

13. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Okay ... been a while but ... peaceful demonstrations and peaceful protests are the foundation of our country (some would say violent demonstrations are as well but not for ~140 years). Protest policies. Protest for a cause. But protesting a person because you don't like him??? Please, that's just whining.

14. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I'll have you know, sir, that whining is the prerogative of the Millennials. :wail:

15. pplr Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Media:
  16. Wayward Son Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Agreed. Us millenials need to grow a pair and learn how to hold a dialogue with the other side of an issue in order to come to an understanding. We also need to learn that almost all, if not all, sides to most any issue have a point in why they think the way they do, and that those reasons should be viewed (usually) as valid, just like we want our reasons for the bull defecation we pull to be viewed as valid. Quid pro quo. Viewing the other side as completely incorrect about any topic is incorrect in and of itself. However, this is not limited to just millenials or just liberals. My history teacher, for one, is a liberal. He views anything that the Republicans do, regardless of cause or outcome, as inherently wrong and bad. Another person I know who is quite a bit older than me or any other millenial, is a right-leaning independent. Anytime someone who has a viewpoint opposing his comes on TV, they are instantly retarded and bad people, etc. So while millenials have a monopoly, or close to it, we aren't the only group doing it.

17. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I'm drawn to an old Carlin joke about how everyone who drives faster than you "is a MANIAC!" And everyone that drives slower that you "is an IDIOT!"

18. Wayward Son Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

These people aren't driving faster or slower. They're driving in reverse, while moving in a curving maneuver while driving in the same direction that we are. They are trying to get somewhere, they're just doing it in an illogical way. To stave off any attempts at saying that I want to say that protest is illogical, I actually think that the ones who do it in a peaceful, non-damaging manner are doing an alright thing. It's the ones that are destroying things, hurting people, and all around being a nuisance to the nation who I am against. They are not accomplishing anything other than making their own movement look bad, as that is the portrayal of them in the media, because as a news entity, you always want to take the most sensational version of a story, as that will be the most successful.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.