1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Please help me fight spell casters

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition' started by Trbrogxren, Nov 28, 2016.

1. Trbrogxren Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Just so we're clear, do you beat the TotSC areas, then beat BG1, then import your character into Siege of Dragonspear?

2. Vhailor

Vhailor Justice is not blind, for I am her eyes Veteran

That would be the correct order. Also note that only the main character's inventory will be carried over. On my SoD run only Minsc and Dynaheir kept what they were wearing and you later you get Imeon's equiptment.

3. Trbrogxren Gems: 2/31

Okay, thanks

4. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Or a Potion of Mirrored Eyes.

5. xosmi Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    Yes - i usually clear the main game up to the point where sarevok retreats to the underground city, then complete everything in ulgoth's beard/durlag's tower/the isle of balduran, then come back to kick Sarevok's ass and move on to Siege of Dragonspear.

Yeah, that's viable as well - i usually just use the scroll of magic protection since it lasts longer, but if i recall correctly you can buy potions of mirrored eyes at the innkeeper in ulgoth's beard, which is pretty close by, so that's useful if you didn't remember to save a scroll.

6. Trbrogxren Gems: 2/31

So Aec'letec is the final boss of Durlag's tower?

I guess I'll do Ulgoth's Beard first, then

7. xosmi Gems: 20/31

Media:
    No, the demon knight is the final boss of durlag's tower - Aec'letec is the demon that is spawned by the cultists back in ulgoth's beard once you return the dagger that drops from the demon knight.

8. Trbrogxren Gems: 2/31

Well, I just went to Ulgoth's beard. I think I've done everything I can do in the main story line... some of the quests I messed up so they couldn't be finished though.

My main character is only level 7. I was expecting to be a much higher level to take on TotSC because I remember it being much harder.

--

This Greater Wolfwere fight is beyond ridiculous. Only my spellcaster can hurt him at all, and he regenerates so quickly it doesn't even matter.

--

And I just did it. God, that was tough at first.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2016
  9. xosmi Gems: 20/31

Media:
    Good job - that fight is infamous for being one of the hardest ones there is in the original saga.
    Beyond using spells, as far as i know there are only 4 weapons that can damage the greater wolfwere, since you need a +3 weapon to even be able to damage him.
    These weapons are the bastard sword of Balduran (acts as a+4 weapon vs Lycanthropes), the silver dagger Werebane (also acts as a +4 vs Lycanthropes), the bastard sword Kondar (usually a +1 weapon, gets an additional +3 vs Shapeshifters) and the long sword Flame Tongue (also normally +1 but doing an additional +2 vs. Regenerating.)

Most of these are pretty hard to get, so if you didn't bring any of them it all comes down ot how quick you can burst him down with your spells - he has some super high regeneration, so you need to do a lot of damage in a short time.

10. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Greater wolfweres are a pain, even in BG2. They regenerate so fast. I don't think they have a ton of hp, but you have to do damage very quickly.

11. Trbrogxren Gems: 2/31

Aec'Letec was an absolute pushover this time. I knew scrolls of protection from magic were supposed to be a boon, but I didn't realise they'd help that much.

I planned, with this play-through of BG1, to beat the game once and for all without ever needing to resurrect any party members, and without losing any loot from party members dying and having to be resurrected elsewhere, their stuff disappearing off the ground where they died.

I achieved it! Sarevok was a push over, too.

Thanks everybody.

I'm onto Siege of Dragonspear, now. I guess the real test will be BG2 and fighting dragons.

12. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Only if you fight the dragons early. None of the fights are all that challenging if you have the right gear and/or are high enough level.

13. xosmi Gems: 20/31

Media:
    Glad to hear it went well for you. :D

Aec'letec is really easy with one of those scrolls - his gaze does not work on you, meaning he can't do anything at range, and at melee range he will often try to use a vampiric drain spell which will also fail.
    he really isn't that strong with just melee, especially since he is kinda slow so you can just kite him around the room.

14. damedog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Resourceful Veteran

Funny, in all of my countless playthroughs of the series, i've never gone far enough into Durlag's Tower to fight Aec'letec and only once fought the Greater Wolfwere. I practically speed run it at this point.

15. henkie

Media:
    Basically, so do I. Just get all the tomes and get out again. I only went to the werewolf island once, I fought Aec'letec only once as well, though I've gone through the whole of Durlag's tower at least twice.

16. xosmi Gems: 20/31

Media:
    Funny, i'm the complete opposite - apart from the characters that i abandon completely because they stop interesting me, i uisually go for as close to a 100% clear as i can, finishing all areas and quests, hoarding all items and valuables.

It's not like Eac'letec or the demon knight are hard - it's getting to them that's more annoying, he cultists that ambush you in ulgoth's beard pack quite a punch, and getting through durlag's tower isn't a walk in the park either.
    I did have to cheese the greater wolfwere once on a solo run weith some form of cleric (don't remember the exact character setup) since i was only able to use blunt weapons and did not bring aule's staff +3, i couldn't use any of the weapons that can hurt the greater wolfwere, and whatever i had available for offensive spells could not take him down quick enough.

17. Trbrogxren Gems: 2/31

I just beat my first dragon in BG2 (the shadow dragon)

I'm not sure if what I did counts as cheese, but it was much easier than I expected.

I set traps in front of it with Yoshimo, then used a wand of monster summoning to summon monsters. I had them attack the dragon with my party, while Neera hit it with Breach. I damaged the dragon really quickly, but then it sent everyone flying and knocked them out cold, except for Neera - so I breached it again, attacked with the party members who regained consciousness, and it died.

I barely took any damage...

Wasn't expecting it to be that easy, but I guess it is the easiest dragon in the game.

18. xosmi Gems: 20/31

Media:
    Putting traps in front of the enemy while he is still neutral is definitely cheese, i'd go so far to call that some loony tunes shenanigans.
    Without the chunk of damage the traps do instantly as the battle starts, combat would have likely lasted longer, giving the dragon an opportunity to use his breath/wing buffet a bunch more times and would probably have been much more of a challenge.

Now, I've been known to use the trap cheese myself (particularly to grab the staff of the magi early) but i would really advice to try and beat the dragon without cheese at least once, the satisfaction you get when you finally manage to do so is a good feeling to have. :D

19. henkie

Media:
    This is the one time laying traps is a legitimate tactic. After all, you have the ward stone that makes you invisible to him.

20. xosmi Gems: 20/31

Media:
    Even though you can justify it in this case, i still feel like it is kind of silly.
    Using them on other dragons is total cheese though, no way Firkraag or Adalon would happily sit back as they see your thief setting up traps right in front of them, in their own lair no less. :p
    doubly so for Abizigal, as far as i know you need to fake talk him to even be able to set up the traps before he goes hostile.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.