1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Hillary or Donald? (Trump Wins!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Taluntain, Nov 9, 2016.

1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
  2. Tarrasque

Tarrasque Whoever said Paladins had to be charismatic? ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I'm still hoping to wake up and find this is just a bad dream....

3. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    So what did we learn from this (hopefully)

1. Trump did a fantastic job in reminding and showing the American people what a truly despicable person Hillary Clinton is.

2. As all Republicans have known for years, you cannot trust the media. In my entire life, I have never seen such a hatchet job against a candidate. Watching the news until the wee hours of the morning it seems like the major networks are having a wake they are so despondent.

3. Trump was correct and the polls were inaccurate. Obviously they were over-weighted to benefit Clinton.

4. The "true" racists stayed home and just didn't care enough to vote for a white women.

5. I am exhausted and today will be a tough day at the office.

More thoughts (maybe) as my brain processes.

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Holy Moly, apparently the polls were so wrong because the people polled rather lied or were afraid of admitting that they'll vote for Trump. This really is like a reality show gone surreal.

One thing's for sure -- things are going to get interesting!

5. Tarrasque

Tarrasque Whoever said Paladins had to be charismatic? ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Isn't that a Chinese curse Tal?

It remains to be seen just how much damage this result does to not only the USA's reputation worldwide but also to the mindset that democracy is the 'best' form of government.

The people that will of course mostly suffer are the US people, especially the minorities.

6. Taluntain

Media:
    I was trying to avoid saying "may we live in interesting times", but yes. :shake: However, as it turns out, that too is not actually real.

As for Trump winning, quite honestly, I'd probably have voted for Trump myself if I was American. I was just thinking about this yesterday and the best rationale I could come up with was "Trump is bad, Hillary is worse. Vote Trump!". There's just an aura around Hillary that makes me intensely uncomfortable for some reason. Whereas Trump is transparent to the point of near-caricature, with Hillary I just don't get the feeling that she's being truthful or sincere about literally anything she says.

All in all, I don't think Trump's going to be any worse overall than say Bush jr. has been, maybe even better. Pre-election promises are one thing, actual political reality something else entirely. Just ask Obama...

7. Tarrasque

It is as realistic as Trump's wig .

Problem is that you can normally have an extreme president toned down by their VP, and the Senate/House of Representatives. Unfortunately these checks fall down in this case - his VP has a history of minority persecution, and both the House and the Senate are both now Republican controlled.

pplr likes this.
  8. Keneth Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    Like I said before, better a clown than the spawn of Satan.

Also, according to hearsay, the Canadian immigration website crashed from increased traffic as soon as Trump's victory was announced. :shake:

pplr likes this.
  9. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    Someone more enlightened than I will have to explain to me how the statement "Trump won because of the uneducated white male vote" isn't racist.

10. Taluntain

Media:
    You forgot racism doesn't count when it's against white people. :shake:

11. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    On a more serious note. I am really questioning the emotional state of most of Facebook and the media. I knew that Obama would be a disaster for 8 years, but I handled it like an adult. I am dealing with people that are actually shrieking and crying. The disinformation about Trump was truly amazing. There are people who actually believe he is a pedophile rapist. They confuse wanting to stop illegal immigration with being racist. One of my friends have told me that her gay neighbors are afraid to go outside. WTF? When did Trump announce death camps for gays?

As to the media, I keep laughing as more videos are being posted to Facebook showing "reporters" having emotional breakdowns on air because Clinton lost. So much for reporting.

Interesting question. If the Democrats need the black vote to win, are they going to have to only nominate blacks?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2016
  12. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    [​IMG]

13. Arkite

Arkite Crash or crash through Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

If you want a preview of the next four years, check out the markets right now.

Pharma stocks up as any illusions of any kind of oversight or control on medication pricing are out the window, for-profit prison stocks up big on expectations of tougher laws and more incarcerations (as well as expectation that existing prisons will be used to at least temporary, perhaps indefinitely, lock up some of the 11 million unauthorised Mexican immigrants Trump has promised to deport), Russian stocks up as Trump wants to lift the sanctions on Russia (the ones imposed on Russia for invading Crimea & Ukraine).

Mexican peso down 8% and Japanese markets down 5% as TPP is dead and NAFTA hangs by a thread. Solar stocks down, Wind stocks down, coal stocks up, gun stocks up, gold continuing its relentless rise, banks up as Trump wants to roll back restrictions brought in after the financial crisis...

14. Paracelsi

Paracelsi Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The thing is that I've never seen Trump as the gullible or "honest"/transparent person his supporters make him out to be. You don't get to be how he has ended up financially by being that kind of person, and it shows when you look at his history of ("shrewd" would be the nicest way to describe it) business dealings. His main selling point for me is that he IS a darn good businessman, and perhaps that's just what the US needs atm.
    I'm also not sold on the "the lesser of two evils is the clueless one" argument, if Bush and the Iraq War was any indication.

Hillary may be "evil" but she was the evil we knew and she would have been surrounded by people who would have tried their damndest to keep her in check, seeing as many of them have already made a show of abandoning/cutting ties with her.

It's definitely going to be an interesting term.

15. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    Trump isn't clueless, he's just a clown.

16. damedog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Resourceful Veteran

I'm surprised the left didn't see this coming. They disenfranchised their young voters in the primary, doubly so when the revelations of DNC collusion against Sanders came out and not one but two cheating DNC heads. Add to that the fact that Trump spoke so strongly and effectively to the white working class- who see globalization and uncontrolled immigration as deeply antithetical to their interests, and the total republican takeover of our government in the House, Senate, and now Supreme Court makes more sense. I'm not saying I totally predicted it, but man, there were so many fatal moves by the democrats and they never learned to stop underestimating Trump.

17. Darion

Darion Resident Dissident Veteran BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    This whole election reads like some Crichton Novel, minus the good writing. But Trump won. Had some really solid points. And the world is still turning...so.
    On a funny side note, a german paper just wrote an article saying basically that Trump is far more dangerous than Putin.
    Lol how fast they switched tunes.

18. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    You get what you vote for. From a perspective in a democracy with over a dozen parties and 4 to five candidates for minister president it is just nuts.

The USA needs a third party, or even a fourth to balance things. Clinton had the most votes, still lost. Cannot be right.

the choice was between The wicked witch of the west vs Grab them by the or bomb the hell out of them.

What if the Americans could have voted for a third person in a most votes wins system?

19. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Americans can vote for other than the Republican or Democrat candidate. It's just that the number that do is not significant; at best they spoil it for the Republican or Democrat candidate. Most people just vote for a party like it's some kind of sports contest.

20. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Yup, kinda what BTA said, although I also think that this election was a bit of lightning in a bottle as far as being a referendum on politics as usual in D.C. It really felt to me like an upsurge in favor of the outsider. I wonder what would have happened if it were Trump against Sanders.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.