1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Windows 10 game crash

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by Shinto, Oct 28, 2016.

1. Shinto Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

game crashes when i try to go to the next scene.

2. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    I assume you are trying to leave Candlekeep and it crashes, or enter a building in Candlekeep?
    I haven't tried it on Windows 10, but for the heck of it, try running the game as an administrator and see if that helps.

3. Shinto Gems: 1/31

not sure what that is. im just out of the starting town.

4. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    Before starting the game, right click on it and choose "run as administrator".
    See if that helps. I haven't tried it on Windows 10.
    I'm just eliminating a potential problem.

My gut says it was a FUBARed install and you need to reinstall.
    That, or you are using a used copy of the CD version and don't have the latest patches to make it work on XP or later.
    Have you donwloaded and installed all the patches from this site?
    I recall an issue with XP that was patched, although I might be thinking of BG2. Sorry, it has been well over a decade.

5. Shinto Gems: 1/31

im using cd's but they are saved as images on my pc using daemon tools.
    have the patches installed.
    have tried comp mode aswell as admin. will edit this if it works or not

--

doesnt work

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2019
  6. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    I'm not sure what else to suggest, usually it was forgetting to use the official patches or a bad install that caused this problem under XP, and I don't have Windows 10 so I don't know any other issues with it. It has been ages since I even tried BG1 under Windows 7. I didn't bother to install it after my last reinstall a couple years ago, I just play it on my old Windows 98SE/XP dual-boot machine.

7. Vhailor

Vhailor Justice is not blind, for I am her eyes Veteran

what mods do you have installed? Sometimes that messes it up. Maybe uninstall everything and reinstall the game

8. Keneth Gems: 29/31

★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    Can you tell us which folder your game is installed in?

9. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
  10. Marauth Gems: 1/31

Hi all, if you have Windows 10 and want to play the original it can be done. Go to control panel, turn windows features on or off, then you get a menu. Scroll until you see legacy settings, open that up and click on both the Direct Play and Legacy. You will need to download a specific patch UK5512 - I'll try and find the link and hey presto - you are up and running.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.