1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Favorite Class/kit?

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition' started by RPGesus, Oct 18, 2016.

1. RPGesus Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Media:
    Currently running a Cavalier paladin and I was just curious as to what everyone else likes to run for the class(s)/kit(s) for their protagonist.

I'm also considering doing another run through after this one so I can try a berserker/druid dual class build so I can import whichever I enjoyed more into SoA.

2. xosmi Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    Going by what archetype i usually gravitate to is going to be mage/thief combos in general - i still have a gnome thief/illusionist with a total stat roll of 106 i'm planning to take through all the games once i feel like finally playing siege of dragonspear.

However, the most fun I've had on my more recent playthroughs was a human berserker dual classed to cleric, used to do a solo run - the berserker rage combined with the divine buff spells makes you nigh untouchable, while still having the ability to dish out the pain.

3. Vhailor

Vhailor Justice is not blind, for I am her eyes Veteran

I also like the Cavalier Paladin. (my favorite class)

RPGesus likes this.
  4. Sorvo

Sorvo Where's the nearest pub? Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Chalk up another cavalier here, second run will be a cn bard

5. RPGesus Gems: 1/31

Media:
    Cav seems to be a common favorite. All of the upsides are awesome esp immunity to poison because poison I think has killed more chars than Sarevok.
    Plus the downside is hardly a downside. How is unable to use missile weapons a downside?

6. Sorvo

Sorvo Where's the nearest pub? Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    you can use throwing daggers and axes

7. RPGesus Gems: 1/31

Media:
    You can? I had no idea! That's sweet. Thanks for telling me that. :)
    My cav is currently using Spiders Bane +2 which is an awesome great sword. My main reasoning for going cav over bearzerker dual build was carsomyr

8. 70-07 Gems: 1/31

While it might not seem like a particularly interesting choice, I've always enjoyed being a mage. It keeps pulling me back from whatever other class I choose, no matter how long it's been since I last played.

9. Sorvo

Media:
    It's just fine if you have friends :)

10. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Mages are pretty easy to solo as well.

My favourite paladin kit would be the inquisitor, the downside of not being able to cast very low level cleric spells is not much of a downside, and the high level dispel and true sight are ideal for taking down mages really quick.

Cavaliers are not bad, but only using throwing axes (or daggers, I guess) is a bit of a downside in BG. Not in BG2, but ranged is definitely prefered in BG.

My favourite builds are typically something with fighters. F/T or F/C (or R/C, which is even better (I don't have EE)), great fun and pretty easy. The easiest defeat of Sarevok I ever had was with a F/Assassin. Just a few potions of invisibility and the fight was over before they even got a hit in.

In a party a straight barbarian or kensai is pretty interesting as well. Doesn't take much micro-management, which I always find a plus.

11. RPGesus Gems: 1/31

Media:
    I enjoy combat classes. Ever since I've gotten into RPGs and even to this day in PnP, I always play a combat class, but I want to play something with some more micromanaging which is why I thought to try the bearzerker

12. Sorvo

Media:
    Micromanage with a bearzerker? You Might as well run for President!

RPGesus likes this.
  13. RPGesus Gems: 1/31

Media:
    That is too relevant... Vote for me. I was able to micromanage the bearzerker Druid/fighter dual class

14. Paracelsi

Paracelsi Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    One of the main draws of cavaliers is access to spells like Armor of Faith and Draw Upon Holy Might. A cavalier running around with Carsomyr+6, 25 Str/Dex/Con and 65% or higher physical resists (with Hardiness/gear) is a walking force of destruction.

My favorite kits are the blade, the totemic druid and the wild mage. I'm a sucker for jack-of-all-trades-type or luck-based characters. Powergaming for me is either beating the game as smoothly as possible, or in the most flashy and entertaining way possible (eg, death by cow).
    I also love roleplaying characters with crazy high lore.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2016
  15. RPGesus Gems: 1/31

Media:
    That is always fun. Recently I've been getting more into flavor and rping a character not exactly for power gaming but thank Tyr I enjoy rping Paladins. Cavaliers are awesome

16. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Soloing also reduces the need for micro managing, which is definitely one of the reasons I like soloing.

17. xosmi Gems: 20/31

Media:
    Same here - i love pause&play, but not having to spend 20 seconds each time ordering around a full party of 6 just saves so much time. Even on the runs where i am planning on taking companions along, i usually end up soloing BG1 since there is nothing in the way of companion quests/banter anyway.

Of course, with the new EE companions, i usually take them along just long enough to complete their personal quests and then ditch them again.

18. henkie

Media:
    If I have a party nowadays, it's typically going to be a party with members all created by me. There is something relaxing about having a party with 4 half-orcs that are all either straight fighter/barb, or a fighter multiclass. Rarely any micro management involved, just watch them hack everything to pieces.

19. AbYsMaL Gems: 1/31

I know it's kind of weird, but I have a thing for running a Jester... I mean... sure he really really really sucks. Like, bad... but for some reason I can't help but chuckle thinking that Sarevok got killed off by someone who is just a little bit more sane than Chuckie from Discworld.

Taluntain likes this.
  20. xosmi Gems: 20/31

Media:
    Actually, the jester is often misunderstood, they are pretty good if you are with a full party. The Jester is less versatile as a straight up bard, but great for crowd control and harassing the enemy from the back-line.
    If you feel the need to have CHARNAME being in the frontlines all the time though, you're probably best up playing a blade.

I actually had to google chucky - it's been a while since i played the Discworld pc games, and i'm pretty sure he doesn't show up in the actual books;
    For those as confused as i was, here he is :p

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.