1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Game in Early access on Steam

Discussion in 'Torment: Tides of Numenera' started by Merlanni, Aug 7, 2016.

1. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Anybody played it yet. I will get it during a Steam sale

2. Keneth Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    Backers have had access to early builds for quite a while now. I haven't touched any of them because it's not the kind of game you want to ruin for yourself by playing before it's polished.

From what I have seen, it's turning out to be pretty awesome. The system is a little bit different than its PnP counterpart, but some compromises had to be made.

The art is quite stunning, as is the music. I'm reserving my judgement for the story and dialogue until I've had a chance to play it, but with all these amazing writers, it's nothing to worry about.

3. xosmi Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    I've played the early access for a bit when it first became available to backers.
    Only went through the first few scenes, ran into some trouble with the combat system and pretty much didn't touch it again after that - like Keneth said, this is one where you want to wait for the finished game before you start playing.

That said, when comparing the opening scene with planescape torment, it does fall slightly short.
    Where in PS:T you immediately get some exposition in the form of morte and are given the wheel straight after, Numenera is slower to start you off, first having you run through a gauntlet and interact with some devices reminiscent of PS:T's sensory stones.
    Through dialog and choices you then get to create your choices, though you are free to change your character before you leave that specific area.

Only when you're done with that does it actually throw you into the story, giving you some exposition and your first combat - though even then it felt more like a cutscene where i occasionally got to direct the actors then an actual game i was playing.

4. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    Didn't they say they were redesigning the intro part to make it feel more organic and engaging? Or was that the new version already?

5. xosmi Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    I'm not a 100% sure, but i assume this was before the rework, as this was right back to when the early access was only just released.

6. BasilShim Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Has anybody tried out the combat system?

7. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    I've been playing PnP Cypher for about a year and a half now and I imagine it's not much different than that. Hopefully, it's slightly more balanced and it's got some game specific features, but it should be fairly enjoyable either way.

8. Corvain Gems: 1/31

I'm curious, too, if anyone here is following the game progress as Backer or in Early Access.
    I've been enjoying Tyranny the last couple of days, although Pillars of Eternity didn't really catch me at release, though I think I should give it a try again.
    But back to topic, with Tyranny rekindling my interest/passion of these games, I'd really like to see Numenera's sci-fantasy (or so it's been called) world since I'm also a big Shadowrun fan.
    But I've read less favourable things about its combat and/or technical status, so what do you think? Give it a try now or rather wait some more?

9. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    Wait for release and the first couple of patches as it deals with its growing pains. There are plenty of other oldschool RPGS around now to tide you over until then.

10. Corvain Gems: 1/31

Yeah, thanks, that's probably the best. Or else I might get distracted between Tides and Tyranny, neither finishing either one or restarting to get into it again.

11. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I haven't even tried the beta yet. I'll probably just wait for the official release before giving this a whirl.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.